Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Bay Packers Thread

• 05-08-2011 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It's that time again!!!

Our boys are World's Champions:cool:

Hmmmm I see Nick Barnett,Brady Popinga and Tauscher released.

Also Cullen Jenkins gone and Brandon Chillar..

Would expect the Pack to do well this season,very solid in all departments.

Enjoy the season.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

It's that time again!!!

Our boys are World's Champions:cool:

Hmmmm I see Nick Barnett,Brady Popinga and Tauscher released.

Also Cullen Jenkins gone and Brandon Chillar..

Would expect the Pack to do well this season,very solid in all departments.

Enjoy the season.

Jackson and Hall gone too. Good unsung servants over the years.

But now Grant is back and will have Starks and the rookie Green for company. How good will this make the running game? Finlay is back; so is Jones. Rodgers has his weapons, and the diversion of a decent running game. Will this make the Packers' O unstoppable?

The D has most of its stars back, plus Capers and his assistants. Hopefully the D will play as well as last year.

Time for a repeat. We haven't had one for 7 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jackson and Hall gone too. Good unsung servants over the years.

But now Grant is back and will have Starks and the rookie Green for company. How good will this make the running game? Finlay is back; so is Jones. Rodgers has his weapons, and the diversion of a decent running game. Will this make the Packers' O unstoppable?

The D has most of its stars back, plus Capers and his assistants. Hopefully the D will play as well as last year.

Time for a repeat. We haven't had one for 7 years.

Didn't spot that, Brandon Jackson and Korey Hall I presume.Jackson did reasonably well when Grant was injured.Hope the get another team.

Cullen Jenkins will be a loss but if Grant stays healthy and J-Mike as well playoffs are certain.

Eagles seem to be the big movers in FA.

Just have seen Darryn College the LG gone to Arizona and Sherrod plugged in there with a hope to slide left to replace Desperate Dan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,100 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Didn't spot that, Brandon Jackson and Korey Hall I presume.Jackson did reasonably well when Grant was injured.Hope the get another team.

Jackson signed for the Browns and Hall went to the Saints.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Jackson signed for the Browns and Hall went to the Saints.

Ooooh .... early contact with GB then.!!

• Advertisement

• Concerned about running game.

Starks was great post season, but worried that might just be a couple of great games.

The return of Grant is good, and one trusts that between them they will be decent. But not sure it's really a weapon, more that it's not as bad as it's been.

Rodgers with the confidence of a Superbowl ring and the confidence that must have come with the postseason run...he could be even more incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Looking forward to seeing -
    Jermichael Finley back terrorising defences like before he got injured
    Randall Cobb finally giving us some exciting punt returns
    James Starks building on his post-season performances and creating a potent 1-2 running game with Ryan Grant
    Aaron Rodgers proving to doubters that he is now the new king of the hill

ESPN tonite Pack vs 'Skins in top 10 NFL games... something like 56- 49 for the Pack in lambeau.

Worth a look for the nostalgia

Bag o' donuts should be at center.:D

ESPN tonite Pack vs 'Skins in top 10 NFL games... something like 56- 49 for the Pack in lambeau.

Worth a look for the nostalgia

Bag o' donuts should be at center.:D

If it was the 48-47 win for the Packers in 1983 it would be very nostalgic for me, it was after watching that game on Channel 4 that I committed my allegiance to the Packers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭basillarkin

What's the story with Jenkins, why did he leave?

• Advertisement

• Just turned it on. Started following the Pack a year or 2 later when RTE started showing it. Few blasts from the past there alright.

Not the actual game I was thinking about, but 'The Diesel' was carrying for the 'Skins and some Packer greats in action.

Interesting the officials all had white caps except the referee which is exact opposite to today.

Larry McCarron 'the Rock' at center who is in the Packer broadcast booth nowadays.

• So...

:confused:

How 'bout the Pack, huh?

...ahem...well anyone see any of the other games? Beat the Colts huh?

Well?

Forget about pre season Concubhair, means nothing other than trialling systems and back ups.

Results mean really nothing other than sorting out rosters

Thursday in Lambeau is when she starts for real.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

First game of NFL my mate ever saw.... I forced him to sit with me and watch it.. boy was he converted!!

I actually think Cobb will give us that somethign little bit extra we need to step on again next year. Them extra yards will be needed against teams that will wanna prove themselves against the champs.

Likewise Finlay back will provide that cutting-edge and extra imagination needed against the resolute teams!

Can't wait!! REPEAT!

The Packers offense for this season is both intriguing and very exciting.

By keeping as many (5) Tight Ends as Wide Receivers on the roster Coach McCarthy must be intent on using two TE's in unison, add in Jennings and Driver (or Nelson, Jones, Cobb) with Rodgers working from a no-huddle will cause a lot of defensive coordinators to have sleepless nights!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

WakeyTyke wrote: »
    The Packers offense for this season is both intriguing and very exciting.

By keeping as many (5) Tight Ends as Wide Receivers on the roster Coach McCarthy must be intent on using two TE's in unison, add in Jennings and Driver (or Nelson, Jones, Cobb) with Rodgers working from a no-huddle will cause a lot of defensive coordinators to have sleepless nights!:D

I think the big number of TE's in the squad is influenced by the fact that Jermichael Finley is in a contract year too.

I think the big number of TE's in the squad is influenced by the fact that Jermichael Finley is in a contract year too.

Not sure that would have influenced Ted Thompson's final selection.

Would have been more likely to have put a TE into the practice squad if that was in his mind.

I think that it is more likely that the Pack have an outstanding crop of TE's, who will create real match-up problems for defences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Was over visiting the In-laws in Milwaukee and I made the missus promise to go up to Green-bay.

Terrific day, the whole tour & hall of fame museum was terrific.

Managed to catch the very end of a training session, seen the backup QB take a couple of snaps.

Terrific place, best stadium tour I've been on. Really nice people, real pride in their team.... and it really is their team.

some pics attached.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Will the saints game be on tv or will it be a stream job?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Will the saints game be on tv or will it be a stream job?

Sky Sports 2 @ 1:30am

• And so Randall Cobb, the first NFL player born in the 90s, lays down a marker.

What a game.

Indeed it was...ok it was the first game of the season.

But... Packers gave Brees all focking day to set up and throw, especially in the first half,had some terrible missed tackles, and but for that D stand on the 3rd and inches could have been disaster,or at least a lot closer.

I always felt the Pack could step it up, front three in the D were great, Scotty Wells was terrific, Grant and Finley settled back nicely, Driver ..well was Driver, took one ferocious hit,but got up and did his shoulder shake. #12 was excellent

All looks promising, pitch looked very slick and a lot of slipping.

Let the good times roll, that was an important win.

• But... Packers gave Brees all focking day to set up and throw, especially in the first half,had some terrible missed tackles, and but for that D stand on the 3rd and inches could have been disaster,or at least a lot closer.

They sure did, but I guess some credit has to go to Brees too for a great game.

And they did get to him a couple of vital times when he dropped back on a 3rd and goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Happy with the result. Some slight confusion in coverage now and again but none the less I think our DB's did well.

How good can this offence get:D?

Hard to believe this was the first game of the season, Rodgers was on fire against a very good pass-rush defence.

Slocum really needs to up his game with Special Teams coverage, Scroles went through them like a hot knife through butter:mad:. Capers will tighten the defence up, but if Slocum can't do the same, with the quality of players at his disposal, McCarthy will be showing him the door at season end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Part 1 of the Packers 2010 America's Game. Parts 2-7 will be in the related videos at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Part 1 of the Packers 2010 America's Game. Parts 2-7 will be in the related videos at the end.

Sweet! Thank you! Love these!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

I actually think Cobb will give us that somethign little bit extra we need to step on again next year. Them extra yards will be needed against teams that will wanna prove themselves against the champs.

Can't wait!! REPEAT!

Glad Cobb has proven his quality in the first game. Now he'll undoubtedly be watched a bit more by defense coaches and ST coaches. But this could be the start of something huge for the Packers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Tom_Brady wrote: »

would bring a tear to a stone, brilliant

Advertisement