Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Teachers Lied To Us

• 21-05-2008 12:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

"i before e except after c"

Nonsense! :pac:

See:

beige, conscience, deify, feisty,
    foreign, forfeit, freight, heifer, height, heist, neighbor, neither, peignoir, science,
    society, sovereign,weight, weird

among others

So what other school "rules" turned out to be myths?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

"I before e, except after c" is a mnemonic device used to help many students remember how to spell certain words in the English language. It means that, in words where i and e fall together, the order is ie, except directly following c, when it is ei. For example:
    • ie in words like siege, friend
    • ei in words like ceiling, receive
    However, in its short form the rule has many common exceptions, such as species, science, sufficient (where ie follows c) or seize, weird, sovereignty, vein, feisty, kaleidoscope and neighbor (where ei is not preceded by c). More exceptions are listed below. Various augmentations to the rhyme have been proposed to handle these exceptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sherifu wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

i before e except after c.......

isn't there more to it, i can'ta remembera but i don'ta thinka thatsa the enda of that little ryhma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Heh, very good!

I had a teacher who warned us you HAVE to bless yourself before and after a prayer - HAVE to... otherwise, I don't know, it might not work or something. It stayed with me. Until I started questioning the existence of god, I would automatically bless myself if in need of something saying a prayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    So what other school "rules" turned out to be myths?

Smoking isn't cool. It clearly is.

Always say no to drugs. Ha!

-Funk

Dudess wrote: »
    Heh, very good!

I had a teacher who warned us you HAVE to bless yourself before and after a prayer - HAVE to... otherwise, I don't know, it might not work or something. It stayed with me. Until I started questioning the existence of god, I would automatically bless myself if in need of something saying a prayer.

Yeah our teacher used to say you needed to dial into God by blessing yourself, and then at the end, don't forget to put the phone down.

Various augmentations to the rhyme have been proposed to handle these exceptions.

Exactly, so how does it continue.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Yeah our teacher used to say you needed to dial into God by blessing yourself, and then at the end, don't forget to put the phone down.
    :D:D did the teacher say anything about texting?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

i before e except after c.......

isn't there more to it, i can'ta remembera but i don'ta thinka thatsa the enda of that little ryhma
    I remember it as "i before e, except after c, so long as the sound is e"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

M I double S M I double S IPPI
    Londonderry

Surely someone else this, you kind of rhyme it to learn to spell Mississippi.

Still don’t know why teach Irish kids who are well away from Northern Ireland to use Londonderry. Grew up thinking that was the name.

Hmmm... Good point. I suppose blessing oneself is the equivalent of paging/texting/phoning God. I mean he's a busy guy. He can't just know some random person in Ireland has started praying to him at that moment... On second thoughts though, wouldn't he just know since he's all powerful and all knowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Moi teechers wer ful a shoite, didnit lern nuffin I did

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

KTRIC wrote: »
    Moi teechers wer ful a shoite, didnit lern nuffin I did
    It show's...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Our ignoramus of a religious teacher was teaching us about how bad drugs were and listed Freddie Mercury as a victim of drugs. I raised the point that he was gay and died of AIDS but she told me to shut up, refused to acknowledge that it had anything to do with it. "No. it was heroin."
    Stupid bint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

micmclo wrote: »
    M I double S M I double S IPPI
    Londonderry

Surely someone else this, you kind of rhyme it to learn to spell Mississippi.

Still don’t know why teach Irish kids who are well away from Northern Ireland to use Londonderry. Grew up thinking that was the name.
    i've no idea what you're talking about :(

M I double S M I double S IPPI = missmissippi btw

Tago Mago wrote: »
    Our ignoramus of a religious teacher was teaching us about how bad drugs were and listed Freddie Mercury as a victim of drugs. I raised the point that he was gay and died of AIDS but she told me to shut up, refused to acknowledge that it had anything to do with it. "No. it was heroin."
    Stupid bint.
    LOL What an asshole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

kmart6 wrote: »
    It show's...lol
    Oh, the irony..... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

micmclo wrote: »

Are you talking about derry?
    I dont know a londonderry

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Exactly, so how does it continue.....?

"i" before "e", except after "c",
    Unless you seize the weird sovereignty
    Of your neighbour's feisty kaleidoscope,
    According to the pope.

That's how I remember remembering it as well. Sometimes I couldn't remember whether I'd dialled in or out last time and would be like "Oh no, I've been blabbing on about girl's knickers for the last hour and he hasn't said anything".

"Earthhorse?"
    "Yes God".
    "Are you still there?"
    "Yes God".
    "Hang up".
    "No, you hang up".
    "No, you hang up".

• Advertisement

mental07 wrote: »
    Oh, the irony..... :p

LOL
    That what happens....

Earthhorse wrote: »
    "Are you still there?"
    "Yes God".
    "Hang up".
    "No, you hang up".
    "No, you hang up".

:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

M I double S M I double S IPPI = missmissippi btw

Oops, you're correct, M I double S I double S IPPI is what I meant!
    It was a rhyme to learn Mississippi and then they added Londonderry at the end

Can’t believe I’m the only one to hear of this :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Stupid bint.

Meh. Either way it was bad Aids as opposed to good Aids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFNs2mOkKzc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

I was told there was 8 electrons in a shell. That these electrons orbited the nucleus in a circle. This turned out to be a deceitful lie. The first of many

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That people thought the earth was flat until Christopher Columbus sailed to America.

People knew well before it, as if you head north 100 miles, east 100 miles then south 100 miles, then it's more than 100 miles west to where you started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I have yet to encounter an oxbow lake in the real world. I think that one was a windup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

"No. it was heroin."

It was gay heroin, so you're both right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

teacher myth

'If you cheat in an exam, you're only fooling yourself'

well, if you don't get caught you're also fooling your teacher,
    and if it's a state exam, the person correcting your paper.

Advertisement