Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dallas Cowboys Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

It’s hard to believe how good the season was after the pre season, and the thumping from the 49’ers in Week 1. Full credit is due to Garrett and the rest of the coaching staff. Garrett and Marinelli have gotten their extensions and Linehan has been promoted to OC so that’s good news going forward. Callahan has moved to Washington so that’s a blow, but he’s left behind a solid offensive line unit that should be together for a long time to come. If it comes to a choice between signing Dez and DeMarco, it’s not even a contest! Pay Dez. Murray had a great season but 6 fumbles, a dodgy injury history and the expectation of getting a big pay day are factors that will lead him to the free agency. The draft will be interesting. I think strengthening the defensive line should be a priority. I haven’t followed college ball much but I hear Goldman from Florida State would be a good fit. Lee’s return will be huge if he stays fit. Him, McClain, Hitchens and Carter make up a solid LB core. Wilcox stepped up this year at safety. There are still question marks at CB, Carr hasn’t earned his money. Claibourne should be given another chance though.

On offence, if Murray leaves, the RB position will have to be addressed. I really like Randle though so the solution could be there already. Peterson would be such a risk, but if anyone would take that risk its Jerry! They will draft a TE as well, the old security blanket Jason Witten is still so important, especially on 3rd and long, but he cant go on forever. 2015 will be a big year for Escobar to see how he develops.

The schedule is ok, they will face Green Bay and Seattle, along with the AFC East and NFC South. It will be interesting to see who is under centre (that looks wrong with the English spelling!) in Philadelphia this year. And we have to face OBJ twice a year forever too, but that aside, I like their chances in the division. So in summary, tie Dez down for life, draft clever and get to the Superbowl next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Double C wrote: »
    . So in summary, tie Dez down for life, draft clever and get to the Superbowl next year!

Sounds like a plan :D
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bumping the thread
    we address a concern at corner in r1 of the draft
    maybe we'll get an RB in R2

Bumping the thread. Shame this has to be done for a team like the Cowboys... are they really 'that' unpopular over here?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

its hard to believe DvB
    what a result last night
    Pity about Dez last night but Randle and Witten picked up the slack
    Terrence will also get more chances next week, need to bring him in on waivers in NFL fantasy

Witten won me my match last night with his 2 TD's

• Advertisement

2-0 and defence looking great
    Another key player injury and Weeden coming in at QB with no back up on the roster. Jesus I hope Dustin Vaughan might still be available on the free agency.

Defence looks considerably better than I had expected TBH, getting worried about the offence though, Romo out for a long stretch alongside Bryant is a real worry. Weeden doesn't inspire confidence...

DvB wrote: »
    Defence looks considerably better than I had expected TBH, getting worried about the offence though, Romo out for a long stretch alongside Bryant is a real worry. Weeden doesn't inspire confidence...

that's the truth
    I'm worried about that

Defence is great and with hardy to come in too!!!!
    We could have some defence and no offence shortly!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Will Kyle Orton come out of retirement?

Amerika wrote: »
    Will Kyle Orton come out of retirement?

Jesus no...

Calling Johnny Football???

Come in Johnny Football

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

If the cowboys give up a shedload.. they can have mettenberger :P

So Matt Cassell from with the Bills, and 2017 draft picks exchanged?? I'm hardly jumping up and down about that!!

Weeden will start but it looks like Keelen Moore will suit up for Sunday as he knows the playbook.

Doom & gloom setting in now big time... I dont think any team could live with the injuries the cowboys gave suffered. Hard to not think its a write off for the season already as by the time the squad is back in shape the gap may be too big to turn around as even the Giants & Eagles wont lose week in week out the way I suspect the cowboys will for a few more weeks to come... a season with such promise so close to lying in tatters already... dems the breaks I suppose.

Doom & gloom setting in now big time... I dont think any team could live with the injuries the cowboys gave suffered. Hard to not think its a write off for the season already as by the time the squad is back in shape the gap may be too big to turn around as even the Giants & Eagles wont lose week in week out the way I suspect the cowboys will for a few more weeks to come... a season with such promise so close to lying in tatters already... dems the breaks I suppose.

Hate to say this but I would agree with you . Injuries are killing us right now.
    From last season we're short Romo, Murray and Bryant. Christ if Witten falls (and he's at breaking point) we're truly screwed.

Two of our top drafts are also out (Gregory and Collins) which doesn't improve things for us

Only bright spot is that Hardy is back this week, so hopefully he'll get a chance to shine in the D Line.

Christ above we're tanking faster than the Titanic..
    2-0 to 2-5 without Romo, we need to get him back ASAP
    Weeden and Cassell are just not up to it offence is getting no chance
    McFadden was our top runner and receiver and under 70 yards at both.
    Christ above Witten, Dez, Williams and Beasley on the field and they don't get a look in, c'mon...

brinty wrote: »
    Christ above we're tanking faster than the Titanic..
    2-0 to 2-5 without Romo, we need to get him back ASAP
    Weeden and Cassell are just not up to it offence is getting no chance
    McFadden was our top runner and receiver and under 70 yards at both.
    Christ above Witten, Dez, Williams and Beasley on the field and they don't get a look in, c'mon...

You hit the nail on the head re: Romo. Without him its a mess offensively. Even in the basket case of a division the NFC East is this year I cant see this being turned around sadly. Roll on 2016.

Randle cut
    we've taken a guy from Reskins practice squad
    Romo back in 2 games, lets hope we're not at 2-7 by then or Romo will need to be ready to roll and bring us to 9-7 for a wildcard spot

Randle cut
    we've taken a guy from Reskins practice squad
    Romo back in 2 games, lets hope we're not at 2-7 by then or Romo will need to be ready to roll and bring us to 9-7 for a wildcard spot

Lose to the Eagles & say goodnight to a WC spot... lets be honest only one team will get out of the NFC east & that'll be the division winner so it'll be all or nothing & even if Romo comes back & plays out of his skin 9-7 would be a big ask IMO.

Heart says yes, head says no.

Well its now 2-6
    Cassell costs us another game with a pick 6
    Need to start looking towards 2016 already

another week
    another loss
    another 4th quarter meltdown
    and no touch downs

Thank god Matt Cassel is done after that game, hopefully we do the sensible thing and cut him, he wasn't worth losing a draft pick to the Bills over

Bring on Tony Romo next week and hopefully a turnaround in fortunes.

• Advertisement

another week
    another loss
    another 4th quarter meltdown
    and no touch downs

Thank god Matt Cassel is done after that game, hopefully we do the sensible thing and cut him, he wasn't worth losing a draft pick to the Bills over

Bring on Tony Romo next week and hopefully a turnaround in fortunes.

The manner in which winnable games (despite the injuries etc.) have been thrown away so late in games I'm really finding harder & harder to take. Worst run now since the dreaded 89 season & at this stage I'm already asking question sabout this team for next season, nevermind this one. Mentally weak IMO & Romo wont fix that all by himself.

The manner in which winnable games (despite the injuries etc.) have been thrown away so late in games I'm really finding harder & harder to take. Worst run now since the dreaded 89 season & at this stage I'm already asking question sabout this team for next season, nevermind this one. Mentally weak IMO & Romo wont fix that all by himself.

Too right he won't fix it all but I think the O-line will be a lot more comfortable with Romo under centre than weeden/cassell..
    There's also no chance Romo throws under 200 yards in a game and has no TD's in 2 of 3 games..
    The D-line has been improving all season and hopefully if Hardy can clean up his off field antics and some of the injuries there clear up we could have a go at getting a divisional title or wild card spot!!
    Think we need a proper QB and RB in the upcoming draft. Perine from Oklahoma seems to get a lot of yards. He could be an option!! And a proper development QB to support Romo be that Moore or someone in the draft..

Brandon Weeden, Christiane Michael and Corey White all released on waivers, squad at 49 now but Romo will take one of those plus some others.

Keelen Moore 3rd choice QB

Draft and free agency will be very interesting now

Draft and free agency will be very interesting now

Its huge at this stage, a poor pre season would set the team back years in teams of progress.
    This year may have the excuse of exceptional circumstances with injuries but anything other than a significant bounce back next year would be a disaster for a team that hasn't challenged in 20 years. The NFL is geared to be cyclical, a team as big as the cowboys should never have to go 20 years without an NFC championship game, never mind a superbowl.

I just hope we win it again in my lifetime.

Its huge at this stage, a poor pre season would set the team back years in teams of progress.
    This year may have the excuse of exceptional circumstances with injuries but anything other than a significant bounce back next year would be a disaster for a team that hasn't challenged in 20 years. The NFL is geared to be cyclical, a team as big as the cowboys should never have to go 20 years without an NFC championship game, never mind a superbowl.

I just hope we win it again in my lifetime.

I agree, its like Liverpool flattering to deceive since 1990...

I think they will win again but I'd take an nfc championship game building towards a superbowl over a couple of seasons..

I agree, its like Liverpool flattering to deceive since 1990...

I think they will win again but I'd take an nfc championship game building towards a superbowl over a couple of seasons..

I just hope this year will be to the next decade what 1989 was to the 90's side. I'd settle for that:D

I just hope this year will be to the next decade what 1989 was to the 90's side. I'd settle for that:D

Amen to that... only thing is the triplets were coming together in '89 so hopefully we might have a QB coming in to help Romo, a RB to replace Murray (McFadden has been disappointing) and maybe another WR to help Dez but Williams and Beasley are great options too.
    It doesn't help Romo and Witten are in the twilights of their careers..

for '89 we'd a young bunch with Aikman, Smith, Irvin, Novacek coming through and an awesome defence...

I miss the 90's

Nice to finally get a win, shame its such a quick turnaround & the undefeated Panthers rocking into town... 2 wins in 5 days is asking a lot of this team at the moment. Would be nice, but I'm not expecting it.

Nice to finally get a win, shame its such a quick turnaround & the undefeated Panthers rocking into town... 2 wins in 5 days is asking a lot of this team at the moment. Would be nice, but I'm not expecting it.

I think we could get the W (maybe i'm too optimistic)
    So good to have a solid win v Miami and here's hoping we've a few more coming up, I think we're due a few.

• Advertisement

I think we could get the W (maybe i'm too optimistic)
    So good to have a solid win v Miami and here's hoping we've a few more coming up, I think we're due a few.

8-8 realistic?

Advertisement