Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsafe Exits on Motorways.

• 20-02-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Bad Design not long enough advance road markings i.e. Broken white lines and arrow markings.

Going south on M8............exit 8 .............a dip on the road makes the exit hard to see, this is an exit for Cashel, Clonmel and Fethard. Also a service stop opened here since the motorway was constructed.

Going south on M8............exit 10 .............this is the exit for N24........more advance signalling required, road markings and maybe overhead signage.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

try the m7 between roscrea and nenagh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

try the m7 between roscrea and nenagh

Not a road I drive very often. Thanks anyway for bringing it to notice, maybe someone on the site can help with the details.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The lethally sharp exits are signposted ¬¦ not \¦ so pay heed to the signage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The lethally sharp exits are signposted ¬¦ not \¦ so pay heed to the signage.

Only the lethally ? Do they have to be lethal ? Certain exits are dangerous and need better signage and markings. I wish you were more positive in the interest of safer motoring. This thread was started to bring the matter to the attention of those responsible for better road design engineering. I ask you to pay attention to the dangers that exist where the signage and markings are inadequate.

• wrong forum, should be in roads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Can't say I ever noticed an issue getting off at exits 8 or 10 on the M8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

The few "left in/left out" junctions on our motorways tend to require ¬ arrows; otherwise they'd be misleading.

Not every exit can be, or needs to be a long flowing off-ramp.

Horses for courses and arrows for exits.....:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

By far, the most dangerous motorway exits in the country are on the M7 at Roscrea (N62) and the Moneygall (old N7) - basically they are LILOs (Left in, left out) with very short decleration lanes.

A serious accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

JupiterKid wrote: »
    By far, the most dangerous motorway exits in the country are on the M7 at Roscrea (N62) and the Moneygall (old N7) - basically they are LILOs (Left in, left out) with very short decleration lanes.

A serious accident waiting to happen.

I use these exits at least once a week & I must say they are possibly the worst motorway exits in the country. Its very dangerous especially if you are not used to it. The sharp turn is very unexpected!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭lovelyhurler

I agree with what Topper and Juipter have said.
    From what i know there already have been several accidents at this particular junction (J22). Even though I use the junction at least once a month, it still surprise me every time.
    Not alone is the exit off the motor way unsafe (having to slow to 60kph or below whilst still on the mainline), the top of the ramps are not well marked either. If you're unfamiliar with it you can easily end up in on the centre line of the N62 before realising that you've missed the STOP at the T junction.

Also the singage coming from Roscrea is minimal (to say the least) as to when and where to turn onto the motorway for either Limerick or Dublin. Somebody could easily take the wrong turn and end up driving against the flow of traffic on th emotorway.

I suppose the NRA are waiting for something more serious to happen before looking at the design again.
    (rant over)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Junction22M7.png

So, so, so DANGEROUS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Thread moved from Infrastructure to Roads.

Topper7 wrote: »
    I use these exits at least once a week & I must say they are possibly the worst motorway exits in the country. Its very dangerous especially if you are not used to it. The sharp turn is very unexpected!

Crusheen on the M18 is the same as is Gort, you MUST get down to 50mph/80kph to 40mph/60kph ON the Motorway and to 30mph/50kph at the end of a rather short slip road when you hit the curve.

If you leave it too late you could find someone up your arse when you eventually hit the anchors. They may not know the junction either.

They MUST educate people as to the different left signs at these exits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Crusheen on the M18 is the same as is Gort, you MUST get down to 50mph/80mph to 40mph/60mph ON the Motorway and to 30mph/50kph at the end of a rather short slip road when you hit the curve.

If you leave it too late you could find someone up your arse when you eventually hit the anchors. They may not know the junction either.

They MUST educate people as to the different left signs at these exits.

There is another sign up by the white van which says 50kmh, the mainline is 130 kmh How it's done in France

niloc1951 wrote: »
    There is another sign up by the white van which says 50kmh, the mainline is 130 kmh How it's done in France

Yep, and that curve AFTER the 50kph sign ( following the 70kph sign at the start of the demerge lane) is nowhere near as sharp as the curves on the M7 and M18 exits....as in you could handle it at 80kph while braking some.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Yep, and that curve AFTER the 50kph sign ( following the 70kph sign at the start of the demerge lane) is nowhere near as sharp as the curves on the M7 and M18 exits....as in you could handle it at 80kph while braking some.

IMHO the NRA and the LA road engineers seem to live in their own bubble.
    Perhaps they do attend international junkets about road design and building but they probable fly in and out and spend their time at the bar.
    Having traveled many many thousands of miles throughout Europe I've seen the good and the bad but our crowd certainly appear not to have seen the good judging by some of the crap standards which can be seen here.
    But then it's hard for them to experience real life from the window of a plane or the back seat of a taxi/limo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

Worst junction I've ever seen is the Moneygall M7 exit. W.T.F!!!???

Insanely sharp turns and a bunch of corners, and what's worse, when you're getting on going towards Dublin, you have a short acceleration lane on a steep enough incline, IIRC.

Bizarre, and dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

SeanW wrote: »
    Worst junction I've ever seen is the Moneygall M7 exit. W.T.F!!!???

Insanely sharp turns and a bunch of corners, and what's worse, when you're getting on going towards Dublin, you have a short acceleration lane on a steep enough incline, IIRC.

Bizarre, and dangerous.

I can see those interchanges being eventually blitzed - looking at this map, I think Jct 22 (M7/N62) should be modified to a full diamond/dumb-bell type interchange while I feel there's only a need for a half diamond/dumb-bell with East facing ramps at Jct 23 (M7/R445) - for Westward access, traffic from Roscrea could use the N62 South to Jct 22 while traffic heading West from Moneygall and Toomyvara could use Jct 24 (M7/R445). I think the junctions should be consistent with most of the other M7 junctions.

Regards!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I think (and hope) that junctions 22 and 23 on the M7 are rebuilt to a safer design. As Irish and Proud opined, J23 really only needs east facing slips as the R445 (old N7) is a perfectly good road for local traffic from Moneygall and Toomevara to travel to J24 for Limerick bound M7 access.

I haven't travelled on the M18 Ennis bypass yet but I believe it has a couple of similarly dangerous tight LILO exits as well.

The more I think about it, the more I can't fathom why the NRA allowed such poorly designed junctions to be built. I mean, it can't really be a matter of keeping costs down as a simple diamond or a dumbell would only involve gouging out earth and overlay for two extra slips off the motorway and no extra bridges needed at all.:confused:

They have an excuse for the Ennis junctions, the road was built as a DC for 100kph traffic. They have none north of that or on the M7 ....bar stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

....bar stupidity.

Come on Sponge - people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :D

Advertisement