Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Michael Schumacher Suffers Serious Head Injury In Skiing Accident

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Good article about how they're cooling Schumacher's body (hypothermia) in order to minimize the swelling in the brain. The broad medical consensus seems to be that Schumacher will recover and regain consciousness - although obviously no one knows for sure - the worry is possible brain damage afterwards.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/30/michael-schumacher-critical-stage-treatment-head-injury

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Duck Soup wrote: »
    The broad medical consensus seems to be that Schumacher will recover and regain consciousness - although obviously no one knows for sure - the worry is possible brain damage afterwards.
    ]

Do you have any links to support this? What you say straight after contradicts what you've just said somewhat.

Ive just read a link from sports.fr, from translation, doesnt seem good .

The life of Michael Schumacher, who suffered a serious skiing accident Sunday morning in Meribel, seems now hang by a thread. According to information from Paris Match, the state of F1 legend has indeed worsened during the day Monday.

"It would be a miracle if he was doing." Coming from a doctor CHU Grenoble, cited by Paris-Match , the sentence does not encourage optimism about the health of Michael Schumacher, suffered a fall ski Sunday morning. According to information from the weekly, the state of the old driver would seriously aggravated. "Automotive champion suffers from three very serious problems: cerebral hemorrhage repeatedly flooding the brain coaxial lesions and cerebral edema required to place hypothermia at 34-35 ° degree, to try to reduce " , reports Paris-Match.

http://www.sports.fr/f1/articles/l-etat-de-schumacher-va-de-mal-en-pis-986353/

amdublin wrote: »
    Do you have any links to support this? What you say straight after contradicts what you've just said somewhat.

From the linked Guardian article itself:

If Schumacher survives, as many surgeons believe he will, his recovery depends on how serious these injuries are, and which parts of the brain are affected.

Feel free to read the rest of the article and draw your own conclusions.

So yes, I read that as there seems to be a growing consensus he'll come out of the coma. As for what I say directly after - presumably about the possibility of brain damage - that doesn't contradict the notion of him coming out of the coma in the slightest. What is at issue is the possibility of mental and/or physical impairment once he's regained consciousness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Cheers ducksoup

I'm not feeling that vibe unfortunately and didn't really get much positivity from that article.

It's so scary to think that someone like him can be skiing one minute and in a coma and hanging on a thead the next.

Please pull through schumi!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Schumacher is an F1 God not someone to joke about while in a coma FFS!!!!!
    Well it's more that he has a family IMO. The whole F1 thing kinda goes out the window when he's in a coma and things aren't looking good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

You cannot predict how a body will react to a head trauma, it is a lottery. Some will receive massive trauma and make a full, rapid recovery, others will receive a small trauma and be utterly debilitated. I know, earleir this year I was struck in the head when a steel structure toppled - it smashed full force into the side of my head, tearing off my ear and opening my skull to the scalp, dinging in my skull nicely.

They stitched me back together with some very apprehensive looks, lots of scans, lots of worried faces and an awful lot of student doctors looking at me and poking. After recuperation and discharge, I had to go back to have my stitches(a lot of them) removed. The surgeon was really apprehensive as he removed them and by god it hurt. When he finished, he said Nucks, go do the lottery, that's the first time I've ever removed stitches used to repair an injury like that, 99.9 times out of a hundred I usually just give the family my condolences. I'm pretty deaf in that ear now, that side of my head is numb and I get some blinding headaches, but otherwise I'm fairly ok. I'm quite robust.

I'm guesing Schumacher is rather more robust than me, so with a dash of luck, and he has had a lucky run so far, lets face it, here's hoping he pulls through - I'd be a bit of a fan.

For those going -"Yeah, right, whatever", I think I posted pics in the old thunderdome after it happened. Human bodies are amazingly tough.

Also a good blog piece by Dr Gary Hartstein, former FIA Medical Delegate for the F1 World Championship about the Monday press conference and Schumacher's injuries.

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Well it's more that he has a family IMO. The whole F1 thing kinda goes out the window when he's in a coma and things aren't looking good...

Must be awful for his son who was there when it happened - poor kid (think he's 14) must be in awful shock.

amdublin wrote: »
    From Sky news (live outside hospital now)

Condition "still critical"

After injuries like this, need to wait 48 hours to see if no more bleeding, and can then do more diagnostics to see extent of damage.
    Tomorrow at noon there should be another press release - written or oral unknown.

Time and prayers needed it sounds like :(

No real further update on Sky News just now compared to update above at 8pm

"State was serious at end of day and still is now"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I met him in Melbourne over 10 years ago while on a junket business trip. We got chatting for about 15 mins but I didn't know who he was until the end of the conversation. We only discussed F1 at the very end - I had been to the race even though I have little interest in it and found it very boring and loud. He was very pleasant and open (for a German!). I was surprised how small and thin he was. No more than 5'7" I would say. I remember there was actually a race steward killed by a flying wheel resulting from a crash.

Anyway I hope he gets well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Red Pepper wrote: »
    I met him in Melbourne over 10 years ago while on a junket business trip. We got chatting for about 15 mins but I didn't know who he was until the end of the conversation. We only discussed F1 at the very end - I had been to the race even though I have little interest in it and found it very boring and loud. He was very pleasant and open (for a German!). I was surprised how small and thin he was. No more than 5'7" I would say. I remember there was actually a race steward killed by a flying wheel resulting from a crash.

Anyway I hope he gets well soon.

Honestly. That kind of ignorant sh*te makes me sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I wonder if any of you can help, there are some blogs going up at the moment which talk about Schumacher's generosity / philanthropy. He has given tens of millions to various charities in the last 20 years or so.

But I remember reading a biography years ago which mentioned that he donated his first major prize money, something like 26,000 Marks (could be completely wrong) to charity at a time when he wasn't so financially well off. Its a much better demonstration of how truly charitable he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

I know this doesn't compare, but in the spirit of stories about human resilience, here's mine. (Not that anyone asked!) I was born thirteen weeks premature and weighing less than two pounds. I went down to one pound and at about four weeks old, I suffered a brain haemorrhage. Had my last rights/baptism type thing (not 100% of the details) and all, and my mother spent two days existing beside my incubator. I pulled through--though the doctors were terribly worried and thought I was brain damaged until I was eight months old. Was talking and walking by thirteen months old and that shut them up.

The human body really is a remarkable thing. Let's hope Schumacher is strong enough to beat this and come out of it well. He's a remarkable man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

People have been using the past tense to talk about Schumacher on French radio, it's very annoying. Hope he recovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

errlloyd wrote: »
    I wonder if any of you can help, there are some blogs going up at the moment which talk about Schumacher's generosity / philanthropy. He has given tens of millions to various charities in the last 20 years or so.

But I remember reading a biography years ago which mentioned that he donated his first major prize money, something like 26,000 Marks (could be completely wrong) to charity at a time when he wasn't so financially well off. Its a much better demonstration of how truly charitable he is.

I really admire people like him. A guy who knows he's got an incredible talent and using it how he wants to with little fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

new press conference starting now on sky news

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...another operation done yesterday, and things are looking better...

From the Guardian:

Michael Schumacher's condition improves slightly after second op

The condition of the former Formula One world champion Michael Schumacher has improved slightly after doctors carried out a second operation to reduce the swelling on his brain following an off piste skiing accident in the French Alps.

In a press conference at Grenoble hospital on Tuesday doctors said they carried out a two-hour operation to reduce the haematoma on his brain. They said a scan following the procedure showed a slight improvement, but said they were unable to say the former racing driver was out of danger.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/31/michael-schumacher-doctors-update-condition-skiing-accident

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I got a sense of guarded optimism from this mornings update. Hes got a long tough road ahead but it sounds less grim than yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I got a sense of guarded optimism from this mornings update. Hes got a long tough road ahead but it sounds less grim than yesterday

Yeah, they seems to be saying it's better, it's still not good, stop asking us stupid questions about what happens next, we are just waiting to see what happens next, I said stop asking us about what happens next as we don't know, things are better than yesterday, now leave us alone to go and look after all of our patients, yes we have other patients who get exactly the same care, I already said we don't know what will happen next...

Or that was the general gist that I got from only hearing the translated answers to the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

They have a point though, I'm sure they have plenty of other patients(aswell as him) to be looking after rather than worrying about preparing for press conferences/statements. Hopefully he pulls through ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

If he comes out of it will he be messed up in any way? As in for the rest of his life?

crazygeryy wrote: »
    If he comes out of it will he be messed up in any way? As in for the rest of his life?

It is unknown at this stage.

Anyone see the update at 12?

crazygeryy wrote: »

I guess it was questions like that from the media that was starting to get at them.

http://www.lotten.se/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nobody-knows.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

A journalist (from a rag no doubt) dressed as a priest to try and get into his room :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/31/michael-schumacher-journalist-priest-intrusion?CMP=twt_gu

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Maire2009 wrote: »
    A journalist (from a rag no doubt) dressed as a priest to try and get into his room :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/dec/31/michael-schumacher-journalist-priest-intrusion?CMP=twt_gu
    Fcuk sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No news on Schumi himself, but the Daily Mail is trying to create a controversy over Lewis Hamilton's ski trip pictures. How dare he smile while his colleague is in hospital?

It's a lost cause, since even they can't keep up the pretence, and are backing off by 1/3 of the way down:
    However, the majority of comments were supportive of the Stevenage-born racing driver.

One user wrote: ‘He has only posted one photo of him skiing and in that he had a helmet on. The other photos are of him hiking or cross-country skiing or walking. Is everyone to stop posting photos of snowy vistas or skis full stop? Grow up please.’
    Will Michael be offended by shots of someone else having fun on the slopes? Not likely. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement