Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

operation transformation 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Charlotte?

Sure she couldn't lift for sh1te! Sympathy isn't going to shift her gut.

I wonder what happens after the show.

These people will just lose a bit of weight. Maybe starve themselves so they don't have that bint roaring down their throats. When it all ends they'll just starting eating for sh1te again. They dropping off a colossal amount of weight in the space of one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Quite contrary

Neeson wrote: »
    Charlotte?

Sure she couldn't lift for sh1te! Sympathy isn't going to shift her gut.

Neither could Deirdre. I didn't see her lift anything, without the help of Charlotte or one of the other leaders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

These people will just lose a bit of weight. Maybe starve themselves so they don't have that bint roaring down their throats. When it all ends they'll just starting eating for sh1te again. They dropping off a colossal amount of weight in the space of one week.

The only thing I'll say in favour of the show is that it is trying to promote a sustainable lifestyle. Take The Biggest Loser for a comparison, from the first week they try to kill the contestants with insane workouts, while keeping them isolated from their families on some ranch with a chef to tailor their diets for them.

This show, in comparison, promotes changing your lifestyle without asking the contestants to leave their every day lives, to prepare their own food, to progress slowly with exercise etc etc

The only thing I'll say in favour of the show is that it is trying to promote a sustainable lifestyle. Take The Biggest Loser for a comparison, from the first week they try to kill the contestants with insane workouts, while keeping them isolated from their families on some ranch with a chef to tailor their diets for them.

This show, in comparison, promotes changing your lifestyle without asking the contestants to leave their every day lives, to prepare their own food, to progress slowly with exercise etc etc

This is true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

The size of that child next to the other boy in his class! I did feel sorry for the mother though. Absolutely clueless. I really hope things improve for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

coconut5 wrote: »
    The size of that child next to the other boy in his class! I did feel sorry for the mother though. Absolutely clueless. I really hope things improve for them.

The show had some youngster similar last year, but never did a follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

The mother can chat all she wants. She could have stopped when she seen him growing a pair instead of letting him go. Take the hard line. And why was he not wheeled out and weighed like everyone else?

Felt so sorry for the child. What I don't understand is why his mother stocked crisps and coke etc., in the house. I don't this this child is the only one in the country who has weight issues - it would have been interesting to see his progress on a weekly basis to encourage others in similar positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

On the bus yesterday I heard this show being referred to as "Oppo-Transfo",
    I died a little inside.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It would be a nice idea to have a couple of follow up specials, 3 months, 6 months and then maybe another just before the start of the next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

deelite wrote: »

Felt so sorry for the child. What I don't understand is why his mother stocked crisps and coke etc., in the house. I don't this this child is the only one in the country who has weight issues - it would have been interesting to see his progress on a weekly basis to encourage others in similar positions.
    It was so sad, a child of his age, the poor thing. What got to me was the mother saying "oh well as a mother its very hard to tell your child they can't eat when they are hungry"(or something along the lines of that) but then he went on to list out what she actually gives him to eat on a saturday when he's at home! And he listed out about 6bags of crisps! Its mean of parents!

Anyway, I don't like the two shows a week actually! I was only getting into it last night(I think Charlotte did amazing with her loss! ) but then it was over! I'm Very impatient and don't like waiting for tonights:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Killian Byrne from last years OT ran Dublin City Marathon in October and is currently training for the Limerick Marathon in May, he can be found over on the training forum on Boards! So it goes to show that it can have long term results for some.
    The mother can chat all she wants. She could have stopped when she seen him growing a pair instead of letting him go. Take the hard line. And why was he not wheeled out and weighed like everyone else?
    That boys weight was absolutely shocking, I actually gasped when Eva said he was nearly 21 stone. He was about 3 times the size of the boy beside him in school, I can only imagine the teasing he gets and it’s likely to get much worse after the show airing.

Looking at the mother, she was obese herself so it could be down to a lack of education on her part. Weight gain is a creeping thing and some people just put their head in the sand and ignore as they or a loved one get heavier and heavier. That said, the mother is totally enabling the boy. She should have acted years ago before he got to this size. She seems to be a single mother, so maybe she is over indulging him in food to make up for the lack of a father figure. To be honest, I can’t see a long term improvement in this poor boy. He has to lose half his body weight and keep it off and I just didn’t see the determination from either himself or his mother.
    I really don't get this programme. Watching it for the past two nights, I reckon some of them need to see a therapist or a psychiatrist to deal with the problems they're encountering first.

I'll probably get shot for saying this but losing weight is not rocket science. Eat less and exercise more. They don't need Eva Orsmond shouting down the phone at them and they certainly don't need a camera crew following them around 24/7.

Yes, weight loss is not rocket science, take less calories in than you use up, and I’m sure the people taking the part in the show know this, but for whatever reason, they haven’t been able to follow that simple mantra. Whether it be lack of will power, boredom, lack of education or personal problems that make them eat to fill a void, there are plenty of reasons why people become overweight and don’t do anything about it. I think the point of the show is to thrust these people into the limelight which in turn make us the viewer look at our lifestyles. They are called ‘leaders’ rather than contestants because the point of the show is not just for them to lose weight, but for all following at home to lose weight too.

A perfect case in point is the man that was featured last week, he followed Killian and lost a whopping 10 stone in the last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I never watch this programme but happened to flick it over when the boy was on....I was shocked to see how overweight he was....it kept me watching....would watch it if it devoted itself to helping him, otherwise not interested in the others. Some tough love is needed to help him. I hope he can turn himself around. One point Id like to make all the specials in shops tend (not always I realise) but tend to be always rubbish like biscuits and sweets, mammy here needs to evaluate her shopping list. My lot are like every other kid who likes their sweets and junk...I started getting them to cook a meal/dessert for themselves from scratch rather than processed rubbish...perhaps he needs to take some responsibility himself and try and cook one healthy meal a week for himself and his family...rather than mammy doing all the cooking. Listen we re all experts but thats my tw0 pence worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

ncmc wrote: »
    That boys weight was absolutely shocking, I actually gasped when Eva said he was nearly 21 stone. He was about 3 times the size of the boy beside him in school, I can only imagine the teasing he gets and it’s likely to get much worse after the show airing.

Looking at the mother, she was obese herself so it could be down to a lack of education on her part. Weight gain is a creeping thing and some people just put their head in the sand and ignore as they or a loved one get heavier and heavier. That said, the mother is totally enabling the boy. She should have acted years ago before he got to this size.

In the home visit though the mother mentioned that the last time the child was weighed was when he was in hosptial 4 years ago ( so assuming he was 8) and he weighed 14 stone.

Aside from the mother not acting to sort this out, didn't anybody in the hospital pull them aside and say an 8 year old should not weigh 14 stone?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I just watched it on player, that poor kid, he's only 12 years old and 20 stone!!! The mother is entirely to blame, stocking the house with rubbish food, she knew he had a problem from a very early stage and didn't do anything about it. It really annoyed me when she said she didn't like to deny him food, all the 'food' he was eating was processed junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

groovyg wrote: »
    ..... The mother is entirely to blame ......

I haven't watched it yet, but was there anyone else in the house? Was it just the child and his mother?

I haven't watched it yet, but was there anyone else in the house? Was it just the child and his mother?

Think they said the father died from fatness or something. Not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Think they said the father died from fatness or something. Not sure though.
    Just watched that segment again; there's no mention of the young lad's father (other than by omission, his mother is rearing him by herself), but his mother said that her father developed diabetes "as an old man".

Rovi wrote: »
    Just watched that segment again; there's no mention of the young lad's father (other than by omission, his mother is rearing him by herself), but his mother said that her father developed diabetes "as an old man".

That was it. Heard father mentioned somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Someone earlier said how come one of the participants was only 13 stone! Only 13 stone:eek:

All of the weights are obese. I wish they'd include someone overweight by say 1 stone or 7 lbs. These amounts are just as relevant to overall health but so much more difficult to shift. Having the massive weight losses of 10 lbs or so is much easier but very unhelpful and unrealistic. Yes it makes for more sensational TV but I think most people have gone beyond sensational and are really interested in how to make the long terms adjustments that ensure a healthy weight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

This segment on primary schools is interesting. Kids should definitely have more than one P.E. class a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

vitani wrote: »
    This segment on primary schools is interesting. Kids should definitely have more than one P.E. class a week.

Perhaps. But some of them might be fitter and healthier if they walked the half mile to school each day instead of being driven there by their parents, who practically drive in the front door. God forbid little John or Mary might actually have to walk 50m from the school gate to the front door.

I often see kids say they can't stay back after school (secondary) for something as they would have no lift home when I know they live no more than 1-1.5 miles away and could walk home in 20 minutes.

Catherine Thomas could do with loosing a good few pounds around the hip top of the thighs areas

gjc wrote: »
    Catherine Thomas could do with loosing a good few pounds around the hip top of the thighs areas

You've got to be kidding, Catherine has a great figure, not stick thin, but nice and athletic looking.

I said the same about poor owl gerry

gjc wrote: »
    I said the same about poor owl gerry

LOL, no comparison between Catherine and poor old Gerry. I always thought he looked like a bit of a hypocrite hosting it, even though it was obvious he'd starved himself for the previous few weeks to try and slim down a bit!

I like Catherine as a host, she's empathetic without being too syrupy and she always has lovely clothes! I want her wardrobe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

LOL, no comparison between Catherine and poor old Gerry. I always thought he looked like a bit of a hypocrite hosting it, even though it was obvious he'd starved himself for the previous few weeks to try and slim down a bit!

I like Catherine as a host, she's empathetic without being too syrupy and she always has lovely clothes! I want her wardrobe :)

Enjoying OT have started to do some walking etc.. oh btw it's kathryn not Catherine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shelsman

Does anyone know what people are having for their tea or lunch i.e. the meal in the day other than the Main Meal? This is the thing I really want to know as I can see the shopping list for the main meal, but there's no mention what they have for their other meal during the day?

So is it:

Breakfeast - Main Meal - Starve?

OR

Breakfeast - Starve - Main Meal?

Or what goes in, in place of the 'Starve' spaces above? Home made soup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Shelsman wrote: »
    Does anyone know what people are having for their tea or lunch i.e. the meal in the day other than the Main Meal? This is the thing I really want to know as I can see the shopping list for the main meal, but there's no mention what they have for their other meal during the day?

So is it:

Breakfeast - Main Meal - Starve?

OR

Breakfeast - Starve - Main Meal?

Or what goes in, in place of the 'Starve' spaces above? Home made soup?

? :confused:

the food and recipes section has breakfast, lunch, dinner recipes plus soup recipes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

You've got to be kidding, Catherine has a great figure, not stick thin, but nice and athletic looking.

Kathryn is well fit,I just hope us fellas get to see her in her running gear again this year in this series :D

Gavin seems to be flying it,comes across as real sound man,hope he continues to do well in the weeks ahead.
    Good series again this year,breaking it up into half hour programmes was a good idea.

Advertisement