Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand National 2012

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Such rubbish being posted over in the thread in After Hours.

Apparently stable workers don't care about the horses as long as they're paid

i have being reading them as well next week when all of this is forgotten it will be the same people posting in fancies for the day OR the tips thread or people like huntly running logs that will go about there business as usuall.

i dont post much in the fancies as i would get a lot wrong,put i have being following treads like this and ones like pyros (that lad was unreal for tips)
    for a long time now.
    horses die all the time in races just cos its the grand national and was on prime time tv does not give every tool who knows nothing about horse racing or what work goes in to getting a horse to agand national a right to say it should be stoped.
    rant over:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Did you see According To Pete's owner came out and said he would never run another horse in the National, what a prize prick!

He lapped up the attention, knew the risks, he won £150,000 off the horse decides to throw his horse into a high risk race and then comes out with unhelpful comments when the industry is under fire.

I hope his ****ing paper shop goes bang :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

hucklebuck wrote: »
    Did you see According To Pete's owner came out and said he would never run another horse in the National, what a prize prick!

He lapped up the attention, knew the risks, he won £150,000 off the horse decides to throw his horse into a high risk race and then comes out with unhelpful comments when the industry is under fire.

I hope his ****ing paper shop goes bang :mad:

What's the big deal?

Plenty of people have been turned off the National over the years and don't have the same allure to it as others. The gentleman in question will probably never own a horse as good again and it is understandable that he wouldn't want to run another animal in it in future after such unfortunate circumstances. I would never encourage anybody to run their horses in it but that doesn't mean I want the race cancelled.

The industry isn't under fire either, it is the annual scare mongering that the media latch onto at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Sunnyhillboy - the little horse who jumps badly. What a little ripper! :D

Huntley wrote: »
    What's the big deal?

Plenty of people have been turned off the National over the years and don't have the same allure to it as others. The gentleman in question will probably never own a horse as good again and it is understandable that he wouldn't want to run another animal in it in future after such unfortunate circumstances. I would never encourage anybody to run their horses in it but that doesn't mean I want the race cancelled.

The industry isn't under fire either, it is the annual scare mongering that the media latch onto at this time of year.

My problem with it is this guy and According To Pete were in every paper in the lead up and the whole thing was being made into a fairytale story and Mr Nelson was more than happy to go along with it all the while knowing the risks of running a horse in a National.

Absolutely, if I had a horse good enough I would not risk him in the National but the people who do and know the risks and I think comments from them like this serve no purpose he could have kept his counsel instead of putting the boot into the sport that gave him plenty of cash. I don't want the race cancelled or changed(save for maybe the canal turn) but that doesn't mean people that do won't use his comments as a stick to beat the sport with.

It has turned into Bambi.

We both know the media who put this guy up as a hero will now write of his agony and how he will never run a horse in such a barbaric race.

Lets not forget all the crap last year and the resulting whip ban ****e that raged on and only got ironed out in February but the ban remains.

• Advertisement

My problem with it is this guy and According To Pete were in every paper in the lead up and the whole thing was being made into a fairytale story and Mr Nelson was more than happy to go along with it all the while knowing the risks of running a horse in a National.

Absolutely, if I had a horse good enough I would not risk him in the National but the people who do and know the risks and I think comments from them like this serve no purpose he could have kept his counsel instead of putting the boot into the sport that gave him plenty of cash. I don't want the race cancelled or changed(save for maybe the canal turn) but that doesn't mean people that do won't use his comments as a stick to beat the sport with.

We both know the media who put this guy up as a hero will now write of his agony and how he will never run a horse in such a barbaric race.

Lets not forget all the crap last year and the resulting whip ban ****e that raged on and only got ironed out in February but the ban remains.

Can you link to the article or source of your discontent?

You are making much ado about nothing.

Talking about the race, Mr Nelson said: "If he'd have done well we'd have been chuffed for him, but it's a chance you take. You always think it's going to be someone else's horse."

He said he would never enter another horse in the Grand National race.

"No, I wouldn't," he said. "I couldn't go through all the pain again."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-17719966

What part of that are you reading that makes you think he is putting the "boot into the sport"? His comments seem totally understandable and reasonable.

"After the race we saw the loose horses running in and we were looking for him, but he never came."

That is possibly the saddest thing i've ever heard - at least to do with horse racing

Sorry about not linking before, overlooked it.

I read this one:

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/896226-grand-national-was-my-last-says-according-to-pete-owner-after-fatal-fall

He added: ‘There is nothing sporting about an event that routinely kills so many horses.’

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/9650076.Sad_end_of_racing_fairytale/

“I know I’ve had a bad experience, but it’s daft, there are 40 horses running and any of them could be brought down at any time, like According to Pete was.

“You can’t make the jumps easier because it is an international race. But two horses were killed and two more are fighting for their lives.

This for me is just needless and harmful, each article accompanied by stricken horses.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/896226-grand-national-was-my-last-says-according-to-pete-owner-after-fatal-fall

He added: ‘There is nothing sporting about an event that routinely kills so many horses.’

That comment was not from the owner, it was from 'Animal Aid'.
    “I know I’ve had a bad experience, but it’s daft, there are 40 horses running and any of them could be brought down at any time, like According to Pete was.

I would agree with this. 40 horses barreling along over 20ft wide fences. It is a spectacle, but absolute madness from a realist point of view. The majority of trainers/owners understand this.
    “You can’t make the jumps easier because it is an international race. But two horses were killed and two more are fighting for their lives.

This was a fact, the industry should not be trying to hide away these aspects of the sport. Horses die on a regular basis, it is educating and informing that should be pursued, not covering up the unfortunate nature of the sport.
    This for me is just needless and harmful, each article accompanied by stricken horses.

His comments are pretty innocuous and are not going to damage the sport in the slightest.

• Advertisement

It reads like Animal Aid said that but there is no man refered to as having spoken for animal aid.

Its very hard to tell who said that.

The article refers to only one person and that is Peter Nelson. They say "He added:" 3 times with no other person mentioned

What a **** editor they have at Metro :rolleyes:

Nulty wrote: »
    What a **** editor they have at Metro :rolleyes:

Read to me like they were quoting the owner, his solicitor should have a word.

Huntley wrote: »
    His comments are pretty innocuous and are not going to damage the sport in the slightest.

The first thing any non racing fan has said to me when talking about the national is wasn't it terrible two horses were killed and most of them can't remember who they backed.

What goes in the press has an impact on people, the power of media in particular negative press is unreal and it definitely doesn't help when an owner rows in with needless comments.

Sunnyhillboy - the little horse who jumps badly. What a little ripper! :D

What a f***in legend of a little horse. He ran further than any other horse in the race, probably the smallest horse in the race and beaten a nose by a Gold Cup 3rd horse in the Kauto Denman era after seriously injuring himself during the race. He jumped like an absolute stag. Watch the race again and tell me that horse can't jump. Springs on his feet.

I'm genuinely proud of that horse and that is what the national does for a horse. This race makes an animal a legend. When do they ever get an opportunity like that?

Sunnyhillboy - legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

What a f***in legend of a little horse. He ran further than any other horse in the race, probably the smallest horse in the race and beaten a nose by a Gold Cup 3rd horse in the Kauto Denman era after seriously injuring himself during the race. He jumped like an absolute stag. Watch the race again and tell me that horse can't jump. Springs on his feet.

I'm genuinely proud of that horse and that is what the national does for a horse. This race makes an animal a legend. When do they ever get an opportunity like that?

Sunnyhillboy - legend.

Hear hear!
    Today's Scottish national should be interesting, it often throws up a big odds winner.
    I'm going for Ikoru road @ 14-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

Anyone pick any out of the race for next years grand national?
    On his own should have a big shout if he get a clear round. I thought the same about killyglen this year :rolleyes:

Gold Cup 3rd horse in the Kauto Denman era after seriously injuring himself during the race

He got injured the year after, think he finished 4th(Exotic was just in front of him off memory), it was the year Denman had the big run in it after his heart problem.

Agree on Sunnyhillboy, great win in Cheltenham and then so close. That said I am delighted Neptune won, love that horse, he got my striaght tricast up in 2008 and my other straight tricast was on Denman, Neptune, Kauto :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

What chance Knockara Beau.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Ilike him sting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Sunnyhillboy got injured and had to have an operation.
    Did'nt hear anything about it before today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/17773138

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Sunnyhillboy got injured and had to have an operation.
    Did'nt hear anything about it before today.
    Booooooo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/horse-racing/17773138[/QUOTBoooooooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

On BBC's Countryfile last night they had a short clip done inside Jackdaws castle with Synchronised prior to the Grand National, and then they went back to interview Jonjo after it.
    It was very sad, Jonjo seemed very upset over it. Probably on BBC player if anyone interested.

ppink wrote: »
    On BBC's Countryfile last night they had a short clip done inside Jackdaws castle with Synchronised prior to the Grand National, and then they went back to interview Jonjo after it.
    It was very sad, Jonjo seemed very upset over it. Probably on BBC player if anyone interested.

Starts at 4.55

Very sad to see any horse destroyed but to ban Aintree National because of it is stupid.Since 20/4/07 to present day 26 horses have died/destroyed over all races at Aintree where 21 horses died/destroyed on the all weather at Wolverhamptonin during the same period.I have not heard any Animal rights groups wanting Wolverhampton banned.Aintree is in the spotlight but so is Royal Ascot where 6 horses have been put down including Rewilding last year where he broke a canon bone.I have come to the conclusion that these Anti groups like to see and hear themselves in the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

sting60 wrote: »
    Very sad to see any horse destroyed but to ban Aintree National because of it is stupid.Since 20/4/07 to present day 26 horses have died/destroyed over all races at Aintree where 21 horses died/destroyed on the all weather at Wolverhamptonin during the same period.I have not heard any Animal rights groups wanting Wolverhampton banned.Aintree is in the spotlight but so is Royal Ascot where 6 horses have been put down including Rewilding last year where he broke a canon bone.I have come to the conclusion that these Anti groups like to see and hear themselves in the media.
    The obvious argument against that point is that there has been about 350 races at Aintree in that period and over 3,500 races at Wolverhampton.

The National won't be banned anytime in the next couple of years although there will be changes made.
    It's sad really. Deaths at the racecourse are unfortunate and Aintee has been unlucky recently.

Pj! wrote: »
    The obvious argument against that point is that there has been about 350 races at Aintree in that period and over 3,500 races at Wolverhampton.

The National won't be banned anytime in the next couple of years although there will be changes made.
    It's sad really. Deaths at the racecourse are unfortunate and Aintee has been unlucky recently.
    There are no obsticles to jump at Wolves but I will put it another way there have been 822 deaths on GB courses in that period with 26 at Aintree.The race to be got rid off in my opinion is the Cross Country race at Cheltenham.There is no watering on that course and it rode firm which is very dangerous to horse and rider.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

sting60 wrote: »
    There are no obsticles to jump at Wolves but I will put it another way there have been 822 deaths on GB courses in that period with 26 at Aintree.

Sting you do understand that Aintree only has a couple of race meetings
    a year.?

• Advertisement

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Sting you do understand that Aintree only has a couple of race meetings
    a year.?
    That is my point,looking at the stats Aintree is only a small fraction of the deaths yet it gets the biggest anti coverage from the media [The Mail] which insites the general public.Im involved with coursing and we are deamonised but there are far more horses killed than hares in a calander year.There is a blanket ban in the UK on coursing yet the hare population is thriving on lands owned by the ICC [study carried out by Queens,Belfast].There is a lobby group in the USA who want fishing banned.These anti groups are anti everything.So if the National is banned [what anti groups want]where does it stop,it doesnt.

Advertisement