Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

the lazy but adamant yes or no voters

• 11-06-2008 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

Just wondering have many of you come across voters who have not bothered to read the booklet nevermind the treaty itself and are still adamant on promoting a certain type of vote because of what they have heard from someone else.
    I find these people frustrating and do not help anyone. Im a yes voter but if there was to be a no outcome I would alot happier if people rejecteed the treaty because of what they knew rather than what theyve heard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

zig wrote: »
    Just wondering have many of you come across voters who have not bothered to read the booklet nevermind the treaty itself and are still adamant on promoting a certain type of vote because of what they have heard from someone else.
    I find these people frustrating and do not help anyone. Im a yes voter but if there was to be a no outcome I would alot happier if people rejecteed the treaty because of what they knew rather than what theyve heard.

You are assuming here that everybody can read: the illiteracy rates in Ireland for Irish nationals are about 25%
    Therefore they are reduced to hearing, so how do you propose they form an opinion without hearing or reading:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

ircoha wrote: »
    You are assuming here that everybody can read: the illiteracy rates in Ireland for Irish nationals are about 25%
    Therefore they are reduced to hearing, so how do you propose they form an opinion without hearing or reading:(
    Ill take back what I said if thats true but bare in mind that you must be 18 to vote anyway so that eliminates any young people that cant read, I find it hard to believe its such a high percentage but Ill stand corrected if its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

zig wrote: »

That'll be human beings, then. That's how most people form their opinions.

resignedly,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Crash

ircoha wrote: »

That figure is 10 years old, isn't it? Not sure how much its changed like, but just wondering.

Advertisement