Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BBC television on SKY digital in Republic of ireland

• 07-02-2001 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I only have the Sky Family pack. Sixteen Pounds per month I think.
    How much is the Sky World pack, and what extra stations do you receive. (Of course in addition to the rumour of BBC etc...)
    I hope that the information Leesider received is correct.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sky world is £36 per month. As well as all of the Family pack channels you also receive the following

Sky Premiere
    Sky Premiere 2
    Sky Premiere 3
    Sky Premiere 4
    Sky Premiere Wide Screen
    Sky Moviemax
    Sky Moviemax 2
    Sky Moviemax 3
    Sky Moviemax 4
    Sky Moviemax 5
    Sky Cinema
    Sky Cinema 2

Disney Channel
    Disney Channel +1
    Toon Disney
    Playhouse Disney

Sky Sports 1
    Sky Sports 2
    Sky Sports 3
    Sky Sports Extra

I upped my subscription for Christmas from the Family pack to Sky World and decided that it was worth the extra £20 quid for the extra channels so I never went back to the lower option.

Add to this all of the UK terrestrials

BBC 1
    BBC 2
    BBC Choice
    BBC Knowledge
    BBC News 24
    BBC Parliment (already available)
    Channel 4
    Channel 5

UTV should be joining Sky Digital during the Summer if the stories on other boards are to be believed.

Thanks for the info. If the stories are correct Sky will profit very well by offering the British stations ONLY on sky world.
    I have 2 suscriptions for Sky Digital. One for My own house and the second for my parents.
    Sixteen pounds per house per month is not bad, considering the amount on offer. However to upgrade to Sky World and double it, expencive. Still we dont know yet, It is still only a rumour!!!!
    I did e-mail TV3 today about them going on Sky Digital. Their response was that NOT in the immediate future, but they added "Things may Change....."

From discussions with some contacts at the BBC in Belfast, it would appear that they themselves are not at all clear as to whether BBC et al will be available on SkyDigital in the Republic. Getting the BBC and Channels 4 and 5 would be pure dynamite for Sky as there is no doubt in my mind that they would clean up commercially if viewers in the Republic were given a choice of multi-channel operator.

But never underestimate the power of "vested interests" in Ireland. Expect many law suits and injunctions from Chorus and NTL IF Sky ever get the rights to show the BBC in the Republic....

Are Sky planning to open offices in Ireland? It's seems pointless offering a service in a country you have no real presence in. PLus, if they did we might be able to get proper interactive services.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They already have one in Dublin...but its only an advertising sales house (adverts on Sky One Ireland/Sky News Ireland).

• Advertisement

what proper interactive services do you mean. Open....? from what i am reading on other forums it is a complete rip off. apparently some of the shops are charging just to browse

People say that there is a rights issue involved for letting Irish people see sky digital BBC. But they have it already . On Tuesday Chorus were have difficulties with their BBC service so the sky digital EPG popped up on the screen. Seems to make a Joke of the whole Idea of Leakage of UHF Signals .

Soon

Your friend who told you BBC would be on in six weeks is the very same guy (Ken Hur**y) who told the people of Cork on 96FM in early January that he alone stopped BBC launching in Ireland last November because he claimed that his firm The Aerial an S*****ite centre could not keep up with the demand before Christmas (contact 96fm for a transcription of their program) he is also the same guy that has been selling satellite from a stand in the Wilton Shopping Centre telling everyone that RTE ,TV3, and all the UK channels would be available from the 1st of March just gone. This guy is a dreamer. Contact BBC your self and once and for all put all these rumours to rest their phone number is 0044 8700 100222. 

Why would Sky want to open office's in different cities in Ireland. They don't do in the UK!

• Advertisement

is that the guy who has the stand with all the contracts thrown all over it. it is across from a supermarket or something. i'm not in Cork very often so i can't be exactly sure if that is him. but if it is he is some source. LOL

Yes this is the one and same guy. A few hundred people are now going to default on payment's to Sky because they signed up on the strength that the Beeb was starting on 1st March. I think that the plonker that signed them up will have to take back the equipment and try and re-sell it to cover his costs. So flash Ken has his work cut out for himself. Between the BBC thing and his so called agency for the Saturday football I think Sky will have to look at the way that they appoint ASA’s.

Greetings,
    I was interested to hear your comments on this guy. He's actually a 'friend of a friend', but is quite adamant that come April 1st, we will indeed have all the BBC channels, and did indeed speak with authority on 96FM before christmas.
    If you call his store and ask the question, the assistants will tell you 'yes, BBC BEFORE April 1st for Sky World subscribers, and ITV in June'.
    They are selling Sky packages on the strength of this.
    He has told many people that he has been in negotiations with Sky and BBC himself, and the service is 'imminent'.
    We'll certainly know within the next 4 weeks what the story is!!
    The forum is certainly livening up!!!

At the beginning I was hopeful that the stories may be true regarding BBC on Sky Digital.
    However I have personally contacted BBC call centre in Belfast, they said NO, I contacted Sky C/S in Scotland and they said NO, I called Eircom/Sky 1800 number and they said NO. They all said NO BBC on Sky Digital in Ireland.
    So all the antipication was over a man selling Sky in a shopping mall????? Maybe his Name was Trotter.....
    Please, if a person standing in a shopping mall offering zillions of stations including BBC etc it sounds too good to be true...Is it???
    Thank you "No BBC" who brought this important point to this discussion. I recommend that "Leesider" includes the source of the rumour in future threads, so we can draw our own conclusions.

I can certainly clarify the source if anyone is interested.
    I first heard the discussion broadcast on Neil Prendeville's live morning show on Cork's 96fm back in early January. A full three hours were given over to the problems people had with Chorus, and were invited to ring in and talk about them live on air.
    Ken Hurley was one of those people that rang in, mentioning that discussions were ongoing with the Beeb and Sky. People that visited his shop were informed about the meetings in Limerick and Derry with Sky reps and BBC reps. I have merely reported the information as I received it, and the administrator of this list has quite rightly included it is the 'rumours section'. A lot of thie readers of this list would be unaware of discussions on Cork's most-listened radio station. No official statement is (yet) forthcoming from any of the companies. I'm surprised that nobody has recently mentioned that BSkyB and the BBC negotiotions were mentioned in the Examiner and Irish times, and indeed the Sunday business post, when their spokesman was named.
    I am glad to contribute info (or hearsay) as I receive it. As I mentioned in my previous mail, lets wait until April, and find out for once and for all if this is going to happen.
    If we cannot provide some element of speculation and anticipation, our discussion forum would become quieter. As I said, I am only reporting what I hear.

In a reply posted earlier in this thread Leesider wrote:

QUOTE:... "I have a colleague who is heavily involved with Sky Digital installations in this area. He has attended 3 meetings (Dublin and Limerick) over the last few months, with reps from Sky and the BBC, and one or two other 'invited guests'. He told me the last meeting took place in Limerick only 2 weeks ago, and it was agreed that BBC/C4, C5 and the other digital BBC channels would be available on Sky Digital in the republic from April 1st"...

Leesider, you did give the impression that the conversation was between you and your..quote.."Colleague"..as described above....
    YOU then posted today (Sunday) a slightly different version, which states that it was NOT a conversation but you heard it on a local radio station.

QUOTE:.."People that visited his shop were informed about the meetings in Limerick and Derry with Sky reps and BBC reps. I have merely reported the information..UNQUOTE.

Yes you are correct to post items that are relevant to Sky Digital, thats what this forum is for. However there is a difference between a discussion between yourself and a reliable source, and that to listening to a Caller on a Local radio station. And one more question. In your original post you said your Colleague had meetings in Dublin/Limerick with one or two "Invited" guests. Question is ..who were these "Invited Guests"...
    (Nothin' like a friendly exchange of words!!!!)

Hi Tanya,
    point taken.
    I was originally told of these developments 'off the record' by a friend of KH. The announcement on radio brought it into the public domain, so I thought it was easier to talk about it publicly. Let's face it, if the BBC does not come on Sky Digital on April 1st, this guy will be hung out to dry, so many people have been informed about the developments, and bought the package based on this happening. There is so much at stake, I still believe that it is genuine. Believe me, I would like to see these channels coming on stream as much as anyone else.
    Although the details of the meetings (locations etc) were not broadcast on the radio, I have heard about them from KH's friend. The 'invited guests' were a seclection of Sky Authorised agents in the republic (Cork, Dublin, Limerick - maybe more), and 'official' reps from BBC and Sky. KH attended meetings in Derry and Limerick earlier this year. I would not have named him on this forum, but someone else did.
    Feel free to call the Aerial & Satellite Centre in Cork (021) 432-2162, ask them what's happening, and they'll give you the details. They will also stress that BBC and Sky will absolutely give NO details of developments, as they were instructed to do so.
    Apart from all of the above, there have been about 3 different Sky agents in my area recently, knocking on doors, trying to sell the digital package, stating the April 1st story.
    If it's all rumour or speculation, why are so many people (inc Sky agents) saying it? I sincerely hope it happens, as I gave my Chorus service back recently, and miss the Beeb.

Up to 21st Feb Ken Hurley stated that BBC would be available on the 1st of March (5 days ago) where is it?? you your self said "They will also stress that BBC and Sky will absolutely give NO details of developments, as they were instructed to do so." But again Ken Hurley is telling everyone so what a liar. This Ken Hurley is the guy that told countless of bar owners that he alone had the official agency to provide them with Saturday afternoon football (OFFICAL). You said first that 1st April was the start date for BBC but you said later the MR Ken Hurley was in negations with Sky and the BBC. A thought just passed my mind is Ken trying to force the BBC by planting a bomb outside the BBC television centre in London. ( I wonder). It is clear that this Ken guy knows shite about satellite , or BBC for that matter. It was only the summer of ‘98 that I had the misfortune to pay Ken £520 for a NOKIA Sat 800 system that he guaranteed me 100%, would pick up the new Sky Digital service I was not the person that he guaranteed this. When I contacted him about this when Sky launched their Digital service he said there was nothing he could do about because Sky had changed their mind on the type of Digital system they were using. When I asked him what kind of Digital service I could hope to receive on my "Nokia Sat 800 Digital / Analogue box" he replied that there was an EU directive banning the type of Digital service my system was capable of receiving. It is clear that this guy is a con man!! I guarantee you that the BBC will not start on the 1st of April and when you will contact Ken he will tell you some bullshit and give you a new Date 1st May and this will go on and on and after paying only £50 for their Sky system people will not care. Believe me I know.

"would pick up the new Sky Digital service I was not the person that he guaranteed this. "
    Sorry this should read "I was not the ONLY person that he guaranteed this."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

hEY ALL WHO VISIT THIS icdg FOURM,

wENT TO THE VERY LAST PAGE ON THE THREADS, AND i WANT EVERYONE TO HAVE A LOOK AND SEE HOW FAR WE EVOLVED IN THOSE FEW SHORT YEARS!ww)

• Advertisement

• oldposts.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement