Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler/heating controls upgrade design problem

• 23-11-2013 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

I'm currently goin to upgrade my heating system with condensing boiler/heating controls but I'm having a problem in how I'm goin to go about altering pipework for the zones. I'm living in a 2 story 3 bedroom semi-detached house. I've currently got an open vented system the boiler is a wall mounted baxi solo 2 which is downstairs and the cylinder is upstairs. The boilers flow and return tees off downstairs for the downstairs rads and for upstairs rads and cylinder but the problem is where the flow and return comes up in the hot press for the cylinder branches have being taken off to rads before the flow return gets to cylinder (no primary flow and return from boiler directly to cylinder.) Any ideas on what's the best way in goin about altering the pipework so I can put in my 3 zones? I can put my motorised valve for my downstairs rads where they flow tees off downstairs for downstairs rads and I can put my motorised valve for my hot water on the flow at the cylinder and also the bypass there and seal the system there but the problem is how am I goin to zone my upstairs rads considering the flow and return tees of to a couple of rads before getting to the cylinder Is my only option but to run the flow and return from boiler directly to the cylinder without any tees off to rads then link in with the existing flow and return at the cylinder goin to rads. It's just that, that will require sections of the ceiling being cut out downstairs from where the boilers flow and return run to rads/cylinder in ceiling so I can alter all that pipework, it's just that it's starting to get very messy then but I see no other way around it.

Is there any experienced plumbers that can come up with an alternative solution thanks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

Just looking at honeywell Evo home.

There is a new version of the controller and rad valves coming out in the new year. Zoning without plumbing.

Will have Internet control too.

Any good do ye think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

I've installed them before. There is plumbing to do. You will need a motorised valve on the cylinder coil & an auto bypass valve fitted to create a circuit for pump over-run, etc.

Very expensive but good.
    Also downside is a lot of batteries. 4 on each TRV so that's a lot of replacement batteries when they go.

shane0007 wrote: »
    I've installed them before. There is plumbing to do. You will need a motorised valve on the cylinder coil & an auto bypass valve fitted to create a circuit for pump over-run, etc.

Very expensive but good.
    Also downside is a lot of batteries. 4 on each TRV so that's a lot of replacement batteries when they go.
    As regards wiring the controller to boiler could I just keep my existing boiler if I wanted too (baxi solo 2 50pf) and take out the mechanical apt timeclock and wire the controller there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Yes you could but direct to boiler. Feed from spur will feed the wiring centre.
    Rather than spend a whole heap on the Evo, it would be better spent on replacing that boiler. Very inefficient basic boiler.

shane0007 wrote: »
    Yes you could but direct to boiler. Feed from spur will feed the wiring centre.
    Rather than spend a whole heap on the Evo, it would be better spent on replacing that boiler. Very inefficient basic boiler.
    Yea the plan is to install the Evo first. Then replace the boiler in a few months time. Think I would be better off buying the Evo system from the UK would be a considerable lot cheaper than buying here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement