Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Close Pass

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

I was coming over Killiney Hill recently with my baby on a handlebar mounted seat.

I got buzzed very close by a guy in a BMW.

Coming down the other side of the hill I came across him again at the bottom as he was turning into his estate.

I followed him in and gave him a bollocking when he got out of his car.

My favourite bit was when he said "sorry about that, I didn't realise you had a baby on the bike".
    So it's ok to buzz cyclists as long as you're not endangering children?

Jackass :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭deadlyspot.com

AltAccount wrote: »
    My favourite bit was when he said "sorry about that, I didn't realise you had a baby on the bike".
    So it's ok to buzz cyclists as long as you're not endangering children?

Jackass :mad:

That was definitely a muppet and completely unacceptable driving. Thanks for sharing the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Here is my latest and closest pass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKhnDc1rS94

Fffffff that's close. Over a solid white line into a bus lane! Was the bus lane operational? Not that it matters much.

Surely that's a case for careless driving/DWODCA or whatever it's called. Broad daylight, clear lines of sight and your road position is perfect. Complete muppet.

I haven't had a pass anything like that close in 4 years or so of cycling in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Just watching scared the **** out of me. Way too close a call!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Great post OP. Traffic isn't as mental here in Limerick but I still find myself in situations where drivers get right in on top of me for some unknown reasons. I believe myself to be a very considerate cyclist and I tend to be tucked in to the curb as best I can for the majority of my cycles. Stop at red lights and indicate my intentions etc. So I don't appreciate when I get someone who seems to be acting the jackass. :mad: One of the most bizarre phenomenon I've noticed, quite a bit actually, is when someone comes right up close to hitting you but then seems to pull out a few feet up ahead. I can never tell if they are being cheeky p***ks and trying to annoy me or just have some weird delayed reaction to seeing me.

Anyway, as I've said, great post and you've encouraged me to get a helmet cam of my own. If nothing else it seems to calm down a confrontational driver when they notice they might be recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

kendragon wrote: »
    Great post OP. Traffic isn't as mental here in Limerick but I still find myself in situations where drivers get right in on top of me for some unknown reasons. I believe myself to be a very considerate cyclist and I tend to be tucked in to the curb as best I can for the majority of my cycles. Stop at red lights and indicate my intentions etc. So I don't appreciate when I get someone who seems to be acting the jackass. :mad: One of the most bizarre phenomenon I've noticed, quite a bit actually, is when someone comes right up close to hitting you but then seems to pull out a few feet up ahead. I can never tell if they are being cheeky p***ks and trying to annoy me or just have some weird delayed reaction to seeing me.

Anyway, as I've said, great post and you've encouraged me to get a helmet cam of my own. If nothing else it seems to calm down a confrontational driver when they notice they might be recorded.

Why do that? :confused:

Thanks, and not all drivers appreciate you saying something.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7axuGXm8_Qc
    One of the most bizarre phenomenon I've noticed, quite a bit actually, is when someone comes right up close to hitting you but then seems to pull out a few feet up ahead. I can never tell if they are being cheeky p***ks and trying to annoy me or just have some weird delayed reaction to seeing me.

I wonder about that type of driving too. I see that as well and wonder what and why on earth. Lack of respect is all I can define it as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I find certain stretches of road worse than others. The road from Kilcock to Summerhill is the one I usually get buzzed on. I have started to spit to my right when I hear cars coming on that road in the hope that the driver might give the oik on the bike some more space:P it gives me a sort of a psycological lift to know that if they do pass too close they might actually regret it in hindsight. (yes I know its childish BTW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Jaysus scary stuff, well we all know taxi drivers have little regard for cyclists, my brother drives a taxi and he considers cyclists a " non road tax paying nuisance". I remind him it's actually motor tax. Excellent thread though.

Jaysus scary stuff, well we all know taxi drivers have little regard for cyclists, my brother drives a taxi and he considers cyclists a " non road tax paying nuisance". I remind him it's actually motor tax. Excellent thread though.

Ah.... so this video is for him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCb4F_6JVZE

• Advertisement

macnab wrote: »
    I find certain stretches of road worse than others. The road from Kilcock to Summerhill is the one I usually get buzzed on. I have started to spit to my right when I hear cars coming on that road in the hope that the driver might give the oik on the bike some more space:P it gives me a sort of a psycological lift to know that if they do pass too close they might actually regret it in hindsight. (yes I know its childish BTW)
    Great post OP. Traffic isn't as mental here in Limerick but I still find myself in situations where drivers get right in on top of me for some unknown reasons. I believe myself to be a very considerate cyclist and I tend to be tucked in to the curb as best I can for the majority of my cycles
    BX 19 wrote: »
    Why do that? confused.gif

What do you think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkNB4VMvYc

A lot of cyclists say that you should take the primary position in the lane and not hug the curb as it invites an overtake. Can you see the overtakes in this by two different taxi drivers. The second one beeps, but overtakes with lots of room. Which would you prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What do you think of this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSkNB4VMvYc

A lot of cyclists say that you should take the primary position in the lane and not hug the curb as it invites an overtake. Can you see the overtakes in this by two different taxi drivers. The second one beeps, but overtakes with lots of room. Which would you prefer?

Hugging the kerb is only asking yourself for trouble. People then treat you as a pedestrian rather then a vehicle. Your in on the drains, rubbish with no "wiggle" room so to speak. Basically, I'm right out of my comfort zone and cruising near the kerb has caused me some close encounters over the years from vehicles buzzing me.

Yet the dangers of this are not thought to people. Even out on country windy roads, I see people out training on racebikes in on the ditch. It then becomes the expected place for cyclists from a motorists point of view and when someone takes the lane, it leads to the aggression we see in that video.

Nevertheless, I'm frequently taking the lane, city or country. Its the lesser of two evils now.

Hugging the kerb is only asking yourself for trouble. People then treat you as a pedestrian rather then a vehicle. Your in on the drains, rubbish with no "wiggle" room so to speak. Basically, I'm right out of my comfort zone and cruising near the kerb has caused me some close encounters over the years from vehicles buzzing me.

Yet the dangers of this are not thought to people. Even out on country windy roads, I see people out training on racebikes in on the ditch. It then becomes the expected place for cyclists from a motorists point of view and when someone takes the lane, it leads to the aggression we see in that video.

Nevertheless, I'm frequently taking the lane, city or country. Its the lesser of two evils now.

Yep, and agree to your second paragraph whole heartedly. Can only imagine the benefits of all cyclists cycling more out from the curb, rather than most cycling in to the left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Great post Deadlyspot. I'm now commuting in Wexford rather than Dublin, and the respect/space I get from drivers is far greater. There has only been 1 or 2 occasions where I haven't been afforded the maximum space available in my first week here, but nothing too close either. In Dublin dangerous passing was practically a daily occurence, usually accompanied by verbal abuse at the following red light.

Great post Deadlyspot. I'm now commuting in Wexford rather than Dublin, and the respect/space I get from drivers is far greater. There has only been 1 or 2 occasions where I haven't been afforded the maximum space available in my first week here, but nothing too close either. In Dublin dangerous passing was practically a daily occurence, usually accompanied by verbal abuse at the following red light.

Well that's good to hear. There really is too much complacency in the morning rat run to work.

Are there any deadlyspots in Wexford to list? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

... Are you listening Gardai? ...
    Dunno whether they're listening, but not much chance they're looking. I gave a one-fingered salute to a close-passer a few months back, then saw it was a Garda vehicle. A van, no less - all the better to haul me off for disturbing the peace :eek:; of course, that didn't happen, as my gesture presumably went unnoticed...:rolleyes:

And re close passes on single lane roads against oncoming traffic - the number of times I've seen that, whether as part of the oncoming traffic (cycling or driving) myself or as the 'passee'... Often when I'm in an oncoming car myself, with nothing behind me, so that they would only have to wait an extra second to have the whole road to pass safely!

One of my car pass incidents was while driving on a country road: Saw oncoming car starting to pass a cyclist and knew it was too close to me, so slowed down. Then another followed it, so I slowed further, preparing to stop. Then another muppet completed the Convoy of Cluelessness, at which point I was all but completely stopped on the road.

Re buses: Wrote to Dublin Bus a few years ago about an incident, then sent a registered letter when the first wasn't acknowledged. Latter elicited a phone call from them, although I think they said they couldn't find video footage to review; I make a point that they needed to update their driver education - glad to see that was effective...:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well that's good to hear. There really is too much complacency in the morning rat run to work.

I could try to find some, although I'm the only bike commuter I've seen so far!

Lumen wrote: »
    Fffffff that's close. Over a solid white line into a bus lane! Was the bus lane operational? Not that it matters much.

Surely that's a case for careless driving/DWODCA or whatever it's called. Broad daylight, clear lines of sight and your road position is perfect. Complete muppet. ...
    Yup. Either negligently careless (not sure if that's a redundancy :P) or deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Had some ass#ole that nearly took my foot out of the pedal this morning when I was cycling on the skerries to lusk road. I had just moved out from the verge a few minutes before they passed me as another car had passed me with oncoming traffic. I think they understood my hand signals to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Excellent tactic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Had one or two near misses..

I now take as much room on the Lane as i can this in turn forces the car drivers to use the out side line to over take..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Are you listening Gardai?

Are you listening RSA?

Are you listening government ministers / councilors?

If you didn't believe it before, do you believe it now?

.....maybe it's just me but that little rant reminded me of this.......

:pac:

[Insert FarSide cartoon image in your head] "Don't get too close to it, Bob - they spit"
    RO 06 wrote: »
    Had some ass#ole that nearly took my foot out of the pedal this morning when I was cycling on the skerries to lusk road. I had just moved out from the verge a few minutes before they passed me as another car had passed me with oncoming traffic. I think they understood my hand signals to them.

Track athletes and golfers have spiked shoes...how about some for cyclists - long spikes projecting laterally. Or a reverse Clarkson for the wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

That clip is scary op. I can also honestly say I probably would not have been as calm as you had it been me, credit to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Why do that? :confused:

Well I'm not going to actively piss off drivers by staying in the middle of the lane. I cycle mostly on urban or main roads and it just find it easier to tuck in by the curb and leave them too it. Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about taking a lane when I feel that there will not be a safe amount of room for me and a car... and I'll pass no apologies for it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Here is my latest and closest pass.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKhnDc1rS94

That was the closest I have ever seen a car pass a cyclist without touching!! You held your cool so well, very articulate and lucid bollocking, I would have been spluttering, fuming wreck. Do you think the close pass was on purpose???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

You can't be cycling in wexford town! I'd take dublin any day.

So you are 'the only cyclist in the village' :-)

What strikes me most watching this is the pointlessness of the pass. What exactly were they trying to achieve given that there was a red light 100m down the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

The driver in the first clip does commit a criminal offence, either careless or dangerous driving, the distinction between the two isn't clear cut

The problem from the Garda's perspective is that you don't have enough to prove who the driver is. In theory he could check who the registered owner is and then go out and try and get a statement from him. If he admitted he was driving at the time then he'd prob have a case.

But without that reg plate and partial shot of face wouldn't be enough.

But the conduct depicted is, imo, criminal

Advertisement