Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Entry to Primary Teaching Postgrad

Options
  • 28-05-2014 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hello,

I currently hold a 3rd class bachelors Degree in Business (not great i knowl) but managed to land myself an office job for the last 2 years..which is something I'm growing to hate. My dream career is to do Primary School Teaching.

My problem is that in order to do a post-graduate programme in Mary Immaculate I need a minimunm grade requirement of 2.2.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and found a solution?
    Was thinking of becoming an SNA also, will this aid my application for the postgrad in the future??

I'm feeling pretty trapped at the moment and any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Are you that you need a minimum 2:2, I thought this was a new requirement not coming in until 2016. Might be worth contacting Mary I about because if I am right next year would be your chance.

I'd say working as an SNA would be a huge advantage, I did the interview this year and they asked lots of questions about the current curriculum and while this is stuff you can probably read about it would make it so much easier to have experience of the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Camoge

Thanks KevinK for your response,

This gives me some hope! Your right, Ive checked on the prospectus and it actually does not specify that a 2.2 is required! Ive emailed the course co-ordinator explaining my situation so hopefully he will give me some advise on what to do soon so I can apply for next year..Fingers crossed and thanks again!

Application for Hibernia still open until JUne 20th!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Howyaaaaa7

Can any inform me if there has been any news regarding higher level leaving cert maths being required for the masters next year?!

For the Professional Master of Education? Ive looked through the prospectus and the it doesnt say anything about higher level maths..just Irish.
    I also googled - entry requirements for mary immaculate professional masters of education- and this gave me a pdf of all the info you need!

• Advertisement

Definitely won't be a requirement next year.

Possibly in the future but at least 3 or 4 years away.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭LadyLorr20

Hello!

I'm just wondering if anyone can help me out..

I'm currently teaching abroad but I hope to come home to do the interviews for the PME in Mary I in May. I want to get my paperwork in order before I go back however, so I'm not stuck for time in May.. I know the application form isn't open online yet, but I was wondering if anyone who applied last year could let me know what forms do I need to attach to the application form (copy of final year results.. copy of degree etc? )

Thanks very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 twin1992

A copy of your official leaving cert results or equivalent, copy of your official university results, two passport photos, all of these have to be signed by a garda, doctor or priest.

Make sure not to give them your hard copy of these transcripts as they will not return them!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TrigCon83

Hi,

I'm just looking for any advice with regard to applying for the PME Primary in the teacher training colleges this year (closing date: April 10th, 2015). I've just recently become interested in the prospect of primary teaching having worked in a horrible mundane job in retail for the past three and a half years. I hold an honours degree in Arts which I obtained some years ago. I have recently managed to get a couple of weeks of observation in my old primary school under my belt but have no other experience. I am willing to get Irish grinds to brush up on my Irish for the interview if I were to get called for one. I would just like to ask anyone who has gone through the application and interview process and subsequently been accepted on to a course if, realistically, I stand a chance? I understand that competition for places is fierce and experience is key but would an applicant be immediately disregarded if they have minimal experience? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

Hello TrigCon83,

I'm only filling out the application form now so can't tell you much about acceptance (just yet) but I think you should certainly apply for it if teaching is what you really want to do.

You have observation done which is a big bonus and you can always try fit in any bit of experience you can now! I'd mention any experience and I mean any experience you've done in the past as well. Every little helps! Remember..
    “Nothing ventured, nothing gained!!!”― Benjamin Franklin. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TrigCon83

Hi Camoge,

Thank you very much for your reply. I really appreciate your words of advice and encouragement, and it is very kind of you to do that. I think I will apply, as you say 'nothing ventured, nothing gained", and I guess I have nothing to lose anyway. If I don't succeed in securing a place, I think I'll apply for Hibernia and see if I can get a place with them.

Thank you so much again for giving of your time to advise me Camoge, and I wish you every success in your application. Good Luck!!

Advertisement