Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internet Explorer

12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Achilles wrote: »
    I installed Internet Explorer via Wine on Ubuntu for testing purposes once.

I still feel dirty to this day...
    Oddly enough if you want multiple versions of IE on one desktop without having to resort to multiple VM's this is probably the way to go.

But patches and add on's aren't so easy

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
    We currently support IE6, IE5.5 and IE5. There is also beta support for IE7, IE8 and IE9.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Oddly enough if you want multiple versions of IE on one desktop without having to resort to multiple VM's this is probably the way to go.

But patches and add on's aren't so easy

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
    We currently support IE6, IE5.5 and IE5. There is also beta support for IE7, IE8 and IE9.

I wasn't worried about that so much it was literally a case of 'ohh this doesn't render like arse in IE, that's cool...'

*ninja edit

Just checked out the link in your sig... man I could have done with those scripts back in 2004 ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

[/I]

If it's for testing purposes then you could just use adobe browserlabs and avoid any actual installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

I use IE9 and find it great. I still do think overall Chrome is a superior browser, but for some reason my laptop doesn't seem to like it. It kept freezing up when I used to use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

smash wrote: »
    All you have to do is look at the random toolbars that can attach themselves to IE.

Eh, you just need to uncheck the 'install toolbar' box, I have no toolbars on IE9 and have never had a rogue toolbar installed on it.
    look at how often there is a patch that prevents an attacker taking complete control of you computer

my understanding is that IE is such an integral part of the OS that it's impossible to sandbox it

Well as mentioned before IE is used in the majority of companies, (you know, those things Anonymous keep trying to take down) and is one of the largest in the world so obviously it needs patching like anything these days does. Chrome is on version 18.0.1025.168 so apparently it gets patched quite a bit too :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I noticed that a search for 'download chrome' on IE default search (bing) brings up the first three results (ie paid ads) all with the words 'Fix Chrome Issues' in them. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

robbie1876 wrote: »
    I noticed that a search for 'download chrome' on IE default search (bing) brings up the first three results (ie paid ads) all with the words 'Fix Chrome Issues' in them. Lol.

Yeah, its funny but Chrome can and does cause issues in a corporate environment..

Advertisement