Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JDIFF 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Wilde Salome already sold out. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

... 'cos seventy percent of it was probably set aside for corporate sponsors anyway. :rolleyes:

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Was at the launch last night (woo Skarsgaard!) but can't say I'm overly impressed by the programme. Can't believe they're showing The Yellow Sea, which was, as pointed out by e_e, in the IFI quite a few months ago. I might still go to see Margaret, but it is out in the IFI like two days later...

Kenneth Longeren masterclass should be good (although programme says nothing about how to get tickets :/) and good to see the new Duplass / Lynn Shelton films on there. Anyone care to recommend any others?

As with last year, there are far too many old films being shown. They enthuse about the amount of films in the programme, but is there really a sufficient audience out there who are willing to respectably fill cinemas for films that are readily available, or which have often been shown before in IFI seasons? I don't dispute it's great to see classics on the big screen - Bambi in the Savoy will probably sell out - but to have so many in a festival makes them seem like unconvincing filler material.
    And two Surprise Films? Considering the batting average in recent years has been appalling (The Escapist, the barrel-scraping Hamlet 2), at least one of those would want to be a real winner.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I gave up last night, it was impossible to book anything.
    I booked everything this morning. Found everything I wanted, except for Wilde Salome, for which I already had a very good alternative, the new Tom Tykwer film.
    Plan is 28 films in 11 days!!! (If you see a wrecked guy with swollen eyes, that would be me :):cool: )

• Advertisement

Wishlist items from this thread that aren't in the programme:
    Keyhole, The Kid with a Bike, Turin Horse, Himizu, From Kokuriko Hill, This Must Be the Place, Being Elmo, Room 237

Films that are included:
    The Raid, Into the Abyss

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Kenneth Longeren masterclass should be good (although programme says nothing about how to get tickets :/)

I'd love to go to that. I think Longeren is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

I'd love to go to that. I think Longeren is great.

You can apparently just buy a ticket from the website. €25 is a bit steep though.

Turin Horse
    Yeah, where the hell has this film been?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I think it's a pretty good line-up this year. I'm looking forward to The Raid, Headhunters, The Monk and Damsels in Distress. They have a few interesting guests over for it as well.

One of the best things about a festival is discovering films you had no idea about. Last year I was particularly impressed with Pablo Trapero's film Carancho, which is finally getting a release here next month. Hopefully there a few hidden gems there this year as well.

But I would have liked to have seen more Asian films. They didn't show that many last year either.

• Advertisement

At least they had Poetry, Outrage and Norwegian Wood though. None of which had been released prior.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭getuponthis

Samsara by Ron Fickle is screening on the 18th, It should be amazing if its anything like Baraka. Has taken them years of shooting and Ive been waiting for it to come out since I first seen Baraka, cant wait!!
    Highly recommend it...

Does anyone know what format the classic movies are being shown in? Surely can't be just DVD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zaber

Anyone know if there's a published programme out yet? I'm having trouble finding one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zaber wrote: »
    Anyone know if there's a published programme out yet? I'm having trouble finding one.

I uploaded the PDF earlier. It's on the site as well, but they make you use some crappy Flash viewer to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Zaber wrote: »

no idea. There is one in their website, but you need to keep changing screens in order to see details of each film. ..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's the link I posted again:

http://www.mediafire.com/?7zdcevq0l4dq137

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Zaber

Thanks Irish Aris and Sad Professor,

I got the one Sad Professor uploaded earlier in the thread.

Much appreciated! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,030 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The glossy brochure from the launch is great actually - nice and detailed :)

Booked five films earlier. Their ten film offer is a bit frustrating though - splitting afternoon and evening screenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What's the ten film offer?

• Advertisement

80 euro for ten evening showings.

60 for ten afternoon ones.

Would have gone for it but honestly don't know how much time I'll have. The brochure also says there'll be a 'happy hour' for special offer tickets between 1 and 3 every day.

Crap, I had the 80 euro voucher and used it online last night to just buy a few tickets - that's made a mess of things now I presume?

No idea. You might be able to pop into one of the box offices and try sort it out?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

JDIFF programming has gone to the dogs under Grainne Humphreys imo.

e_e wrote: »
    Yeah, where the hell has this film been?

They're obviously having it as one of the surprise films...

But yeah, The Turin Horse was brilliant, hoping the IFI get it soon.

I can imagine the outrage from some of the more casual surprise film attendees if it's something arty :pac:

Ha, 150 mins of 30 long takes would pretty much finish JDIFF for good :D

I can imagine the outrage from some of the more casual surprise film attendees if it's something arty :pac:
    I'd make it my goal to shout "PHILISTINE!" at anyone who dares walk out. :D

Shame that Mysteries of Lisbon has already been screened, would have loved to have seen that screen as the mystery film. I imagine that much of the audience wouldn't return after the interval.

• Advertisement

Shame that Mysteries of Lisbon has already been screened.

Being shown already didn't stop The Yellow Sea! Still amazed at how popular Lisbon was when it was on - sold out one day I tried to see it, jampacked the day I finally got a ticket!

Still bemused at the complete lack of Asian cinema here. The Raid doesn't really count (although should be fun) ;)

Advertisement