Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Game coding for kids

• 16-10-2010 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Not sure if thats the right title but is there any courses for kids in or around Dublin who want to get into developing games.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I THINK Game Editing is best for this...Not many courses that I know of til you hit college but there are resources on the web depending on which aspect is of interest. The folks here should be of more help in that regard.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Get programming first.
    There are also a few easy to use game makers out there, like GameMaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

IT Tallaght did do something like this over the summer before but I don't think they do it anymore http://www.ittdublin.ie/computing/ComputingNews/MainBody,15485,en.html other than that, I don't think there are any courses like that in Ireland yet...

I'd recommend GameMaker too for starting off, I started using it last week and it was pretty handy, it's mainly drag and drop. Just go to the main page here http://www.yoyogames.com/make and download the GameMaker 8 file and the tutorials for starting off the plane, maze and platform ones. They are kind of easy to follow and once you get to know a programming language you can translate what you learned in GameMaker easily enough to programming.

Using the lite(free) version is fine for it too so it's free to use and learn :)

I'm going to be writing a few guides on how to start making & modding games soon and I'll post them up in this section, was meant to do them a few weeks ago, but just started college again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Help them develop a love for maths...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about Scratch as a start point, free to download too. CTYI do courses on it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 lpm

Thanks everyone;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

As Genghiz said earlier, Gamemaker is very easy to use and to get results. It would be a great starter. There is also a free version of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Get programming first. Have a look at Scratch. It's simple enough to learn and teaches basic programming.

Oops, already mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cian_911

I believe the college in Ballyfermot does a 2 year gaming course that teach's you C++, Java, and Binary im not exactly sure of the name of the college but from what i hear it's good.

It's a PLC course by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Cian_911 wrote: »
    I believe the college in Ballyfermot does a 2 year gaming course that teach's you C++, Java, and Binary im not exactly sure of the name of the college but from what i hear it's good.

It's a PLC course by the way.

Real men program in Binary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

While I've not used it Unity 3d looks pretty handy to start out with and it will provide that wow factor that is important in keeping beginners interested. As I've said never used it before but it appears to be an excellent example of learn by doing while being powerful enough to make some amazing looking games.
    Anyone with any experience of this package care to comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Good starting point for programming for kids is microsofts small basic.

https://www.dreamspark.com/Products/Product.aspx?ProductId=34&wa=wsignin1.0

They'll still have to read up on it all, the language etc., but it's a nice easy to use environment to start out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Thanks lads

Advertisement