Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

eugenics.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Context?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Eugenics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Context?
    Neeson wrote: »
    Eugenics

Yep. Nazi doctors measuring noses to look for Jews. Meant to stick a note in the post, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

More than 60 Palestinian children killed so far in Gaza out of a death toll of nearly 300 people, most of them civilians.

(Warning: distressing scenes)

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/middle-east-unrest/innocent-gone-israeli-strike-gaza-kills-four-children-n157301

I watched this earlier tonight and I actually fcuking cried. Because it's devastating and inexplicable and wrong, wrong, wrong, I just don't get it for a single second. I don't want to get it. And it will continue indefinitely.

NBC's Ayman Mohyeldin has been doing some eye-opening reporting from Gaza for the last week, his tweets and instagrams have been so close to the bone that there's been by all accounts a considerable security issue for the team on the ground - who have been evacuated since he witnessed the deaths of those four Palestinian boys. He kicked a soccer ball around with them minutes before they were killed.

His instagram pictures from Gaza are heartbreaking

http://instagram.com/aymanm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

^ In relation to Israel, I found this picture on wikipedia last night which to see it laid out like this, surprised me - pretty much all of the English-speaking world is in support of Israel. Although thinking about the foreign policies of some of them, I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

800px-International_reactions_to_Operation_Protective_Edge.png

Black: The Gaza Strip and Israel
    Blue: Countries that support Israel's stance and/or condemned Hamas rocket attacks
    Red: Countries that condemned and/or expressed concern about Israel's actions
    Green: Countries that condemned and/or expressed concern about the actions of neither/both sides
    Yellow: Counties with mixed official reactions

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Should all the Grey ones not be green (presumably they've said nothing?)?

Green: Countries that condemned and/or expressed concern about the actions of neither/both sides

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

vitani wrote: »
    ^ In relation to Israel, I found this picture on wikipedia last night which to see it laid out like this, surprised me - pretty much all of the English-speaking world is in support of Israel. Although thinking about the foreign policies of some of them, I guess it shouldn't have been a surprise at all.

800px-International_reactions_to_Operation_Protective_Edge.png

Black: The Gaza Strip and Israel
    Blue: Countries that support Israel's stance and/or condemned Hamas rocket attacks
    Red: Countries that condemned and/or expressed concern about Israel's actions
    Yellow: Counties with mixed official reactions

Is Ireland green or yellow? I'm colour blind and can't tell the difference..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Where's that map/picture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Where's that map/picture?
    The Israeli's stole it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - not sure what happened there. Here is the pic though

More pics, less chat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

GerB40 wrote: »
    Is Ireland green or yellow? I'm colour blind and can't tell the difference..:confused:

Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is pretty cool but also very sad..

Tweeted yesterday by astronaut Alexander Gerst from the International Space Station

315712.jpg

Link to photo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

3 children killed with their grandfather on Flight MH17.
    Mo Maslin, 12, his 10-year-old sister Evie, and eight-year-old brother Otis.

I don't know how a person could continue on after such a loss.
    s7YWc6K.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

A photo that shows the complicated global divide over Gaza

BtPlhAzIUAAQMue.jpg:large
    LJtsR8hI_bigger.jpeg UN Geneva @UNGeneva

UN Human Rights Council States vote on resolution establishing independent Commission of Inquiry for #OPT & #Gaza
    5:52 PM - 23 Jul 2014

Except for the States. Can't understand how that's not a Green Board.:confused:

Leprechauns in the middle trying to maintain Neutrality.:rolleyes:

All the represented EU countries abstained. So much for hopes of taking a leadership role in our own backyard as the US focuses on the Pacific. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

A photo that shows the complicated global divide over Gaza

BtPlhAzIUAAQMue.jpg:large

Can somebody post the photo instead of a twitter link?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Qli92HD.jpg

Not world-shaking but very touching; chinese doctors bow three times to a child who decided to becoming an organ donor shortly before succumbing to cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Last warning before infractions and bans start being handed out. No more chat about Israel/Palestine. There are numerous forums on Boards discussing that topic. This is not one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

A global guide to the first world war - interactive documentary
    Ten historians from 10 countries give a brief history of the first world war through a global lens. Using original news reports, interactive maps and rarely-seen footage, including extraordinary scenes of troops crossing Mesopotamia on camels and Italian soldiers fighting high up in the Alps, the half-hour film explores the war and its effects from many different perspectives. You can watch the documentary in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Arabic or Hindi thanks to our partnership with the British Academy.

Warning: contains images some viewers may find disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Crucifixion of 8 Christians by the ISIS terrorists in Syria and Christian girl beheaded in Northern Iraq!
    The gruesome nature of the killings are often paraded to the media & public for intimidation!

"WARNING contains very violent GRAPHIC, disturbing RAW PHOTOS that may upset some viewers"

http://shariaunveiled.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/8-christians-murdered-by-isis-tweet-1.jpg?w=627&h=400
    http://shariaunveiled.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/8-christians-murdered-by-isis-tweet-2.jpg?w=627&h=470

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

peaceboi wrote: »
    Crucifixion of 8 Christians by the ISIS terrorists in Syria and Christian girl beheaded in Northern Iraq!
    The gruesome nature of the killings are often paraded to the media & public for intimidation!

"WARNING contains very violent GRAPHIC, disturbing RAW PHOTOS that may upset some viewers"

http://shariaunveiled.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/8-christians-murdered-by-isis-tweet-1.jpg?w=627&h=400
    http://shariaunveiled.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/8-christians-murdered-by-isis-tweet-2.jpg?w=627&h=470

Dont click the last one it will stay with you for a long time:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - After discussion with the other mods we have deleted one of the pics posted of the little Iraqi girl. It was a valid picture for posting so no issue with peaceboi but we felt it was too much for this forum. Personally speaking I wish I had not seen it. Any questions/concerns please pm me or one of the other mods

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Gaza today:

H0NSLBk.jpg

A series of explosions rather than one big one.

Hard to believe that is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Gaza

316725.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Gaza

Sorry if OT, Is that a military drone in the pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

An inbound missile, probably a fraction of a second before it hit its target. A drone looks like a miniature 747 with some extra fins on it for stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

@Bazmo:

Do you mind putting the link where you got that pic?

I have no doubt the IDF are using paveway LGBs in built up urban areas but given the speed at which it would be falling (no blur) and the apparent proximity to the impact site the photographer would have been at (seems unlikely neither the photographer nor camera would survive), I have my doubts that this photo is real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,664 ✭✭✭Worztron

quad_red wrote: »
    @Bazmo:

Do you mind putting the link where you got that pic?

I have no doubt the IDF are using paveway LGBs in built up urban areas but given the speed at which it would be falling (no blur) and the apparent proximity to the impact site the photographer would have been at (seems unlikely neither the photographer nor camera would survive), I have my doubts that this photo is real.

I found a link here: http://imgur.com/PboeSoV

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement