Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hey

Any recommendations for a central hostel in london??

Just going over for a few night...dont know London too well so would be hoping for something central!!!

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Bonnington in Bloomsbury (think it might be called Park Lane now) is a very nice hotel and is about a 10 minute was from Tottenham Court Road and Oxford St. It is on the central line and the stop is called Holborn. Can be a tad pricey, but more than worth it.

Do NOT, under any circumstances, stay in Bayswater. The prices might be better, but it is miles from anywhere and is a fairly dear taxi home if you miss the last tube. Not to mention most of the hotels are dumps out there.

Edit: I see you want a hostel.

I that case check out a place called GENERATOR. Cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Generator is cheap but it is also a mass-market business. I stayed at the Generator Berlin a couple of weeks ago. It was a good place to crash. But it was not a hostel with character. If all you need is a bed, I would second Generator as well. Make sure to book through their website, not a third-party agency. At least in Berlin, they reward you for that with a free drink on arrival :).

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Fooster King

Hi,

Bringing my son to Arsenal vs Burnley game in a few weeks. We're going via Luton Airport. What's the best way to get from the airport to the Emirates?:confused: (Depressed Liverpool fan)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Moved to correct forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Get on the bus outside the Airport, which drops you to Luton Airport Parkway. There you'll get a train to St. Pancras, change on to the Piccadilly line underground to Holloway Road or Arsenal station (depending on which end of the stadium you want) - and you are then a short walk from the stadium itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Hi, Myself and the GF are going to London next thursday till the following monday. Am staying with a friend who lives in Twickenham area.

We land at Gatwick at half 9 thursday night and have to get to St. Margarets which is the train station nearest my friend's.

What we plan to do is get the Gatwick Express to Victoria and the train from Victoria to St Margarets.

Does this sound correct to do? Usually I drive to my friends but flying this time so not used to trains etc!! :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

Gatwick Express is a massive rip-off. Get a ticket for a normal train. You can get one that is combined with a Travelcard for 11 or 12 GBP. This is by far the best deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I thought the travel card could only be used on the day of purchase or can you get longer periods?

EDIT: Did a bit of googling and came up with this

saves time and hassle and I can get a travelcard for fri, sat and mon as won't need one for sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭yaaaboy

My friend and I are having some difficulty finding accomodation to rent in london - we'r trying the neasden, cricklewood, kilburn areas and looking for 2 single bedrooms or possibly a room to share and are trying to keep the rent well under 100 pounds. Anyone have any advice? or anyone on here trying to rent a house? We were told to call phone numbers from shop windows in the willesden green area and we'r searching online but to no avail (so far).

Please help

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Moved to correct forum.
    Cheers Beruthiel,
    Realised afterwards I had put in wrong forum but didn't know how to move, ta.

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Get on the bus outside the Airport, which drops you to Luton Airport Parkway. There you'll get a train to St. Pancras, change on to the Piccadilly line underground to Holloway Road or Arsenal station (depending on which end of the stadium you want) - and you are then a short walk from the stadium itself

Thanks Buffy Bot,
    Sounds like a plan,
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Hiya..heading over to London on thursday for a few days..just wondering what the best way to get around is!First visit to london so a bit clueless!

Is there passes u can get to save you having to get a ticket to everywhere you want to see??

Would appreciate any help on this one!
    Cheers guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

The Oyster Card is a smart card for travel around London. Just buy one and you can top it up. Just beep it as you go through the turnstyles.

The underground is the best way by far to get around and the map system is really easy to use.

Have fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Yep I have an Oyster card and even though I only go to London a couple of times a year they are dead handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

NothingMan wrote: »
    The underground is the best way by far to get around and the map system is really easy to use.
    Have fun.

http://www.theoriedesigngraphique.org/wp-content/ICONOGRAPHIE/C10/C10_PATTERSON/C10_PATTERSON-greatbear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Is that disagreeing with or backing up my comment. I was there last August and for the FA cup final 08 and I found that exact map very easy to use. Once you know where you are and where you're going it's easy to see where you might need to change lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,287 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

linola_c wrote: »
    Hiya..heading over to London on thursday for a few days..just wondering what the best way to get around is!First visit to london so a bit clueless!

Is there passes u can get to save you having to get a ticket to everywhere you want to see??

Would appreciate any help on this one!
    Cheers guys!

If you don't wish to get an oyster card then make sure to get a travelcard at the machines in the tube stations.
    Its £4 for each Tube journey, but the daily travelcard is only £5.40 a day so it has paid for itself by the 2nd trip, and you can easily to 10/12 trips a day on the underground if you are doing the full tourist thing.
    Its no more complicated to get than a standard fare, literally just pressing a different button on the machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another hotel recommendation request!

A friend has stayed and said the Park Inn Russell square is really nice and pretty much close to everything. I know it takes a few tubes to get their from Victoria.

Another place I found was the The Rubens at the Palace - it looks like an old hotel and the rooms are small but all the reviews have read online are very good. This hotel works out a lot cheaper than the Park inn and the price includes breakfast.

Anyone got better suggestions? The budget would be about £350-400 for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Another hotel recommendation request!

A friend has stayed and said the Park Inn Russell square is really nice and pretty much close to everything. I know it takes a few tubes to get their from Victoria.

Another place I found was the The Rubens at the Palace - it looks like an old hotel and the rooms are small but all the reviews have read online are very good. This hotel works out a lot cheaper than the Park inn and the price includes breakfast.

Anyone got better suggestions? The budget would be about £350-400 for the weekend.

See my post below, any questions feel free to ask :)

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=60745677&highlight=kensington#post60745677

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

And is it any good? What airport would be best to fly in to if we were going to Bicester for a day's shopping?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I've googled but can't seem to find any company that offers Segway tours around central London - help?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

buzz55 wrote: »
    And is it any good? What airport would be best to fly in to if we were going to Bicester for a day's shopping?

thanks.

I think the outlet village in Swindon is better.

Bicester is up the M40, you are probably equal distance between Heathrow, Luton and Birmingham. You could probably drive there within an hour from Southampton as well. I think you would need to drive though as the train might take some time.

for Swindon, you can fly to Heathrow and get a fast train from Paddington to Swindon, I think the outlet place is near the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Featherl

Planning a short city break to London for Easter.

Ideas on best things to do/visit..

Anyone have good recommendations for hotels close to City and reasonably priced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Hi there. I would be very grateful to anyone who can consider the following and provide some assistance.:cool:

I will be traveling to London soon.

I need to get to Brixton and will be flying from Dublin Airport in the company of two other persons.

What would be the best destination Airport within London? Brixton is SW2 1RW

I will then, later on that day, need to get from a place called CLERKENWELL which is EC1V 4JL to an Airport to leave London for Dublin.

Is it advisable that I enter and leave London via the same Airport?

How should I move between the Airport{s} and the intra-city destinations mentioned {Brixton/Clerkenwell}....I do not fancy taking the train in an unfamiliar city with two minors in my presence on a Saturday {football etc} so if anyone knows how much a taxi would cost I would be grateful for information on that too.

Many thanks for your help and time.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

The best airport for you to fly into would be London City. Cityjet flys into this airport. I would also advise you to fly out of it.

In my opinion the best way to get around london is via the tube. It is very easy to do. Taxis are expensive in London but somebody here should be able to give you a price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

edeldonlon wrote: »
    The best airport for you to fly into would be London City. Cityjet flys into this airport. I would also advise you to fly out of it.

In my opinion the best way to get around london is via the tube. It is very easy to do. Taxis are expensive in London but somebody here should be able to give you a price

AKA "City of London Airport"....this is on the East Side of the City Center, correct?

I am afraid that Tube is out of the question...we will be booted and suited and the trains will be chocca.....Saturday in London = a football game somewhere. I will also be in polite company who I will be expected to look after. Nah....Taxi all the way.;)

Cheers and thanks for your help!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

actually, I think Gatwick would be best for Brixton as it is on the Victoria line so you can get the train to Victoria and then the tube to Brixton

Coming back you could catch the train from Farringdon to Luton, or it is only a couple of stops from Liverpool Street on the tube where the Train to Stansted goes from.

Then again, none of the places you are going to are difficult to get to from Paddington, where the Heathrow trains take you to.

the underground is very safe and I travel on it with kids on a saturday a lot. Remember, to millions of Londoners it is the main form of transport.

For tube maps etc, you want www.tfl.gov.uk for Train times you want www.nationalrail.co.uk and I find www.multimap.com is good in London as you can just put the postcode you are going to and it will locate it for you.

London City is a great airport, but I don't think there are any flights on a Saturday PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Howdy folks, what's the cheapest route from Gatwick to Victoria Underground? I read somewhere[possibly here], that the Gatwick Express is robbery?
    Cheers.

Advertisement