Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Don't do TY!

• 16-10-2014 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm in the middle of my ty year at the moment and it's so bad!, it's extremely boring and isnt a doss year like everyone says, waste of money in my opinion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

You can't just say 'don't do TY' because it's bad in your school. In my school and many others it's very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Oshealad wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of my ty year at the moment and it's so bad!, it's extremely boring and isnt a doss year like everyone says, waste of money in my opinion

Omg lyk ya im innit now nd its soooooo booring.

But in all fairness, I can understand your annoyance.

Transition Years differ and students die of boredom

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

As others have said, TY differs hugely between individual schools.
    Also, like everything else in life, you get out of it what you put in: if you approach it negatively and are looking for a 'doss year' then you're dead right, it's a big waste of time and money.
    I've worked with TY groups who were bored at certain times during the year and who took it upon themselves to keep busy, for example one group rearranged the school library and it's catalogue (with the blessing of the librarian, obviously), the same group came up with the idea of arranging entertainment at the nearby nursing home, while a group in another school begged the principal to let them work with elderly people to teach them about using the internet. Each group I've worked with has done work to support local and national charities, and two have coordinated with other schools in the locality to arrange dance lessons. One group had a guy come in once a fortnight to teach them how to make and edit a movie, special effects etc.
    All the activities I've mentioned here were arranged or suggested by the student groups themselves, arranged with the support of the TY coordinators and management of the schools.
    If you're not happy with your TY, come up with ways to make it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

im getting pretty bored this ty. what kind of things are people doing outside or inside school to fill the gaps of boredom

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

im getting pretty bored this ty. what kind of things are people doing outside or inside school to fill the gaps of boredom

What would you like to do?
    Choose something.
    Work out any costs/logistics involved.
    Work out how to fundraise if necessary.
    Go to your teachers with your suggestion.

That is what TY is about. Not sitting around waiting for someone else (or teachers) to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

You shouldn't rely on teachers and the school to do these things. Use the year to do stuff you want. Pick up a new sport for after school, or enter a few competitions of all sorts. TY will give you a lot of free time, so make use of it.

If you work hard, and don't waste your time, TY will greatly help you in general life.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭billy100

Think Ty is about personal development. I feel it's important to volunteer and do as much different things as possible, try and get involved in something you would normally never do. What you put into it you'll get out of it

Advertisement