Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

i have a canon Eos 10D and a crap sigma lens - Its a 18 - 50 mm

I want to buy a cheap lens to take pictures of a house interior - What should i look for in the lens description.
    Is it the "18" ( - 50) part of the description - the lower the number the better the "wide angle"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

dball wrote: »

I want to buy a cheap lens to take pictures of a house interior - What should i look for in the lens description.
    Is it the "18" ( - 50) part of the description - the lower the number the better the "wide angle"

Yes, it's the low number that you're after. An EOS 10D is a crop sensor as far as I am aware, so the crop factor (1.6?) will increase any focal length.

Aim as low as you can afford - there's a Sigma 10-20 EFS lens that might suit what you are looking for, used for architectural shots a lot. Try Adverts.ie or ebay for 2nd hand listing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

dball wrote: »

The lower the number the wider the angle. The 10d is ancient so I wouldn't expect a massive jump in image quality with a better lens but you should be able to get everything in the frame with something like a tokina 11-16mm etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

Hi, just looking for some advice on a beginner DSLR.

I'm trying to dip my toes into proper photography but don't want to spend too much.

I've been on ebay and adverts and wonder would the the likes of a D60/90 be an okay starter camera ? I know they're old models but would they do for someone thats just giving it a go ?

I'd be interested in portraits, landscapes and just random shots

will56 wrote: »
    Hi, just looking for some advice on a beginner DSLR.

I'm trying to dip my toes into proper photography but don't want to spend too much.

I've been on ebay and adverts and wonder would the the likes of a D60/90 be an okay starter camera ? I know they're old models but would they do for someone thats just giving it a go ?

I'd be interested in portraits, landscapes and just random shots
    Id go for something newer and more modern tbh. Sensor technology has come a long way in the last 9 years. A nikon d7000 would be a better bet even if you have to spend more to get one.

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Id go for something newer and more modern tbh. Sensor technology has come a long way in the last 9 years. A nikon d7000 would be a better bet even if you have to spend more to get one.

Thanks for the reply. I had been hoping to pick up a camera second hand for under €200.
    Am I being too optimistic about getting a decent starter and lens for under €200 second hand ?

Thanks for the reply. I had been hoping to pick up a camera second hand for under €200.
    Am I being too optimistic about getting a decent starter and lens for under €200 second hand ?

I think so tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

GBX wrote: »

Awesome, thanks. Found some well priced ones on ebay so I'll wait and see what price they're going for.

Just needed an idea of what to look for really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Awesome, thanks. Found some well priced ones on ebay so I'll wait and see what price they're going for.

Just needed an idea of what to look for really.

I too am a beginner and bought this camera when it was released. I still have it - its my only camera. Others may offer better suggestions but for the money I dont think you can go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Personal view here but the D90 was an outstanding camera for me.

I didn't notice a huge difference when I moved to the D7000 but it depends maybe on where you expect to use it. In good light I didn't find much difference.

If I saw a good D90 for 200 I'd consider it a bargain.

Having said that a more modern 3xxx series might be even better if you're just starting with DSLR.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,919 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi folks,

looking for a recommendation on an action cam that's not as pricey as the gopro. Any suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Have a look at 'kitvision'

I bought three of their cheapest models, and the footage is really good for the price, and you get a load of accessories in the box..

Cheers for the replies. I was chatting with someone last night and they suggested to look out for Sony A series camera ?
    Any reason to go for Nikon/Canon over Sony or vice versa ?

Cheers for the replies. I was chatting with someone last night and they suggested to look out for Sony A series camera ?
    Any reason to go for Nikon/Canon over Sony or vice versa ?

Lenses. Nikon and canon have far more lenses available and second hand lenses can be picked up much easier for nikon and canon also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Xiaomi Yi Action Cam 4k international version (must be international) has wifi and a phone app to connect up

https://xiaomi-mi.com/action-cameras/xiaomi-yi-4k-action-camera-2-international-version-black/

you can also get the older version, which isn't 4k for less than 100

https://xiaomi-mi.com/news-and-actions/xiaoyi-action-camera-international-version/

the 2k one on amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016MAUHOK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you can buy the mounts and extras relatively cheaply on the likes of amazon or ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭michaelp97

Sorry if this has been asked or answered before but if you were to choose between these two models which would it be and why?
    Thanks and again sorry if its been said before

michaelp97 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked or answered before but if you were to choose between these two models which would it be and why?
    Thanks and again sorry if its been said before

The d5300. It's got a better screen and better autofocus.

Lenses. Nikon and canon have far more lenses available and second hand lenses can be picked up much easier for nikon and canon also.

If I could pick up a Sony A290l and 18-55 lens for under €150 would that be good value/a good starter ?

Or a Nikon D3200 body for about €175 ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Hi! I have a question about the Nikon D5300. Not so much about the specs, as I've looked around a lot and seen positive reviews etc, but the price.

In PCWorld it costs €720... but in Argos it's listed as €330, but I've seen ads online for "body only" for way more than that, and on the Argos UK site it's way more than that, closer to the PCWorld price. Here are the three ads:

Argos: http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1919406.htm
    Argos UK: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/1919406
    PCWorld: http://www.currys.ie/product/nikon-d5300-dslr-camera-with-1855-mm-f3556-lens-black/321670/398.0.5

Am I missing something here? Or is it just a really good bargain that I should consider availing of? Thanks! :)

• Advertisement

Canard wrote: »
    Hi! I have a question about the Nikon D5300. Not so much about the specs, as I've looked around a lot and seen positive reviews etc, but the price.

In PCWorld it costs €720... but in Argos it's listed as €330, but I've seen ads online for "body only" for way more than that, and on the Argos UK site it's way more than that, closer to the PCWorld price. Here are the three ads:

PCWorld: http://www.currys.ie/product/nikon-d5300-dslr-camera-with-1855-mm-f3556-lens-black/321670/398.0.5

Am I missing something here? Or is it just a really good bargain that I should consider availing of? Thanks! :)

Get on it.. I've ordered one. Do it quick, before they realise their mistake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a camera. I was looking at the canon 70d BUT my head has been turned by the Panasonic FZ2000.

I know its not a DSLR but it seems to fit what i need. I'm going to use the camera for taking shots at my kids sporting events, family days out and maybe some wildlife.

I like not having to carry a load of stuff with me and i know the picture quality won't be as high as a DSLR but will the bridge positives outweigh the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

If you're looking at a 70D, maybe this may be of interest to you.

https://www.eglobalcentral.eu/canon-eos-m5-kit-with-ef-m-15-45mm-mirrorless-digital-camera-black.html

Basically an 80D, small mirror-less form factor, with interchangeable lenses and support for EF-S and EF lenses range with an adapter (with no loss of auto-focus, f-stop or sharpness).

Canard wrote: »

Get on it.. I've ordered one. Do it quick, before they realise their mistake. :)

Picked mine up today, and its gone down again, from 330 to 303... Bargain on a bargain..!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

Hi all, looking for a couple of recommendations for a dslr or bridge camera, I have a budget of 300-400, mainly going to use it to take family photos but have an interest in streetscape as well

Thanks

Picked mine up today, and its gone down again, from 330 to 303... Bargain on a bargain..!

It is sold out.

It is sold out.

Bumma..! Not surprised though. Excellent deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Still have a d5300 reserved at the original discount. Was for a brother but he's not in a position to buy. Tempted my self have a Canon 700d and kit lens CEX will give me €275 for it. Think it's worth it. Was originally going to get a d3300 but I got such a good deal on the 700d I went with it. Better video was slight reason for it. Another brother shoots with Canon so has a few lenses but in reality I'll never really be able to borrow them for any length of time.

Worth changing to for €50?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Ryath wrote: »
    Still have a d5300 reserved at the original discount. Was for a brother but he's not in a position to buy. Tempted my self have a Canon 700d and kit lens CEX will give me €275 for it. Think it's worth it. Was originally going to get a d3300 but I got such a good deal on the 700d I went with it. Better video was slight reason for it. Another brother shoots with Canon so has a few lenses but in reality I'll never really be able to borrow them for any length of time.

Worth changing to for €50?

Picked the d5300 up yesterday. Still can't decide whether to make the change from the 700d. Know I could still sell the 700d on adverts for a lot more than I paid but the €275 from CEX just seems easier than dealing with messers there. Could still return the d5300 either.

Have the 700d about a year but have never really learned how to make full use of it. Mostly shoot in auto so won't be much of an issue changing make. Do want to learn though to make better use of it, I should really do a course. Always planned to get 35 or 50mm prime plus a decent fast zoom lens. but never got around to it. At least it leave me open to changing make. Leaning towards keeping the Nikon I know it should be the better camera.

Advertisement