Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you consider or have you a tattoo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭nicecupotay

I'm pretty sure once i get one i'll get a lot more.

I've always wondered about this,whats the deal with wanting to get more done?My wife has one and would love to get another but couldn't deal with the pain!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Permission to ask a slightly gutless and pussy type question ?

Whats the story with temporary tattoo's ? I was told you can get them for varying periods of time but they will eventually fade away completely - is this true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Getting 2 tattoos once I've "filled out" a bit more. A quote from Oscar Wilde and my family motto, plan to get both beneath my shoulder joint, in between the chest and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hilloftara

i love my tattoos.first one is for my brother that passed and i got my second a couple of weeks no can see that one .on my back.:) its for me and it means something to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Only looked well on Popeye. Hideous and tacky on everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Always thought they make a person look cheap as hell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

I would never get one purely because of the pain involved.

My bro has one of a shark. He didnt want to tell Mum and used to avoid showing her his back - we live beside the sea and he is a diver - he thought he was getting away with it for years but Mum knew all along and was amused with his efforts to hide it. She used to torture him by reaching for stuff or suddenly taking off to his left. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

royaler83 wrote: »
    Tattoos are anything but cheap though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Delancey wrote: »
    Permission to ask a slightly gutless and pussy type question ?

Whats the story with temporary tattoo's ? I was told you can get them for varying periods of time but they will eventually fade away completely - is this true ?

The only temporary tattoos you can get that will vanish within a few days are the spray on ones (not henna) or the ones from the likes of bubble gum wrappers. Or say you draw in on yourself with a marker.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

how can u make someone look cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

I have 2. Oriental in style. Both are in places not seen unless shown (shoulder and chest). Some people like it, some don't. I got them for my own reasons and they do not change the person I am, so who gives a fcuk?
    Cheap, awesome, tacky or art-it's all opinion. It's your body and it's your life so do as you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

This is truly relative to place and style of tattoo, as well as the person themself.

I've a few tattoos, all are hidden from open site, were anything but cheap and each one has a significant meaning to a certain point in my life.

I've known Judges, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Historians to be quite literally covered in tattoos and piercings. And not one of these people could be considered "cheap looking".

Kindly take your horrible observation, and shove it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I've briefly considered it in the past but I don't think I would. Even if I did get one, it would have to be something small and tasteful. I kind of don't like too many tattoo's on a person, it sort of makes them look like they need a good wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭audi a4 2008

G-Money wrote: »
    I've briefly considered it in the past but I don't think I would. Even if I did get one, it would have to be something small and tasteful. I kind of don't like too many tattoo's on a person, it sort of makes them look like they need a good wash.

oh man i hope u never meet me,u will be running down the road after me with a power hose:Dand a wire brush to clean me;).

oh man i hope u never meet me,u will be running down the road after me with a power hose:Dand a wire brush to clean me;).

Haha, no worries, I'll try my best not to :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I've got two, one on my arm and one on my chest. Have never regretted either of them.

Only get them if the tatoos are symbolic and mean something to you otherwise I wouldnt bother. You can get them touched up years later if you need/want aswell to so I wouldnt worry about them being tacky for a long time.

Just make sure you dont get them somewhere that they are easily visible, neck etc, their is an unwarranted thick stigma out there about them

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Camarillo Brillo

Got a pretty big one on my upper arm about six years ago, regretted it after about 6 months. It's only visible to the public when I have no top on, holidays, gym etc. I have seen very few tattoos that look good and would definitely advise against it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Id love to get the opinion of some of the close-minded people in here. Im seriously considering something very similar to this as my next piece
    mikes_neck.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Have 8 at the moment (all fairly small with the exception of one) and am planning another two for the very near future when I'm slightly more flush with cash.

To each their own really tbh. I think mine look nice, they're all in the same style, all black and the only one that is in plain view is the one on my left wrist which is a latin phrase that means a lot to me in a very nice script. Easily hidden by a watch or a bracelet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Melion wrote: »
    Id love to get the opinion of some of the close-minded people in here.
    Interesting observation, it's good to see someone else noticed people on here with tattoos can be very close minded. All someone has to do is express the opinion that they do not like tattoos and so many of them get insulted as if it was a personal attack.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

tuxy wrote: »
    Interesting observation, it's good to see someone else noticed people on here with tattoos can be very close minded. All someone has to do is express the opinion that they do not like tattoos and so many of them get insulted as if it was a personal attack.

:rolleyes:
    Id love to know how people think a well done tattoo is tacky or make someone "look like they need a wash".

Id love to know how people think a well done tattoo is tacky or make someone "look like they need a wash".

A well done tasteful one looks grand. However a lot are not like that. Anyway, that's just my opinion, it's nothing personal and you don't have to agree with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

A tattoo is a piece of art, opinions on art vary greatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HannahDunne

Got my first recently with my daughter. I was thinking about it for years and now think i'd like another. Mine is really small and not visible. They are addictive

Sonics2k wrote: »
    This is truly relative to place and style of tattoo, as well as the person themself.

I've a few tattoos, all are hidden from open site, were anything but cheap and each one has a significant meaning to a certain point in my life.

I've known Judges, Doctors, Lawyers, Teachers, Historians to be quite literally covered in tattoos and piercings. And not one of these people could be considered "cheap looking".

Kindly take your horrible observation, and shove it :)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It doesn't matter whether it is significant to you or not, anytime I see one I think it looks trashy, same with face/body piercings, ye obviously have an issue with yer bodies and use these 'art forms' to change yourselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

[/B]

It doesn't matter whether it is significant to you or not, anytime I see one I think it looks trashy, same with face/body piercings, ye obviously have an issue with yer bodies and use these 'art forms' to change yourselves
    Do you cut your hair? brush your teeth? cut your nails? shave?? You must have issues with your body and use these "hygeine resons" to change yourself

See what I did there

Do you cut your hair? brush your teeth? cut your nails? shave?? You must have issues with your body and use these "hygeine resons" to change yourself

See what I did there

I do all of the above but I don't draw on my face or arms with a permanent marker afterwards though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Okay guys,everyone is entitled to their opinions on tattoo's however ones opinions should only be delivered in a respectful and adult fashion as is the norm across most boards forums,please remember that.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I think it's hard for some people who have tattoos to take criticism, especially very broad generalisations which may or may not apply to them.

Personally I'm not very tetchy about people not liking what I've done, that's fine and their opinion. Same for what they may think they can deduce from my appearance as to what I do, the type of person I am or the level of education I may or may not have acquired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

[/B]

I'm sorry, I just don't take well to being called trash by someone for a reason other than the fact I have a few tattoo's.

Especially considering all my tattoos are hidden from sight, the only way people can see them is if I show them to them.

You can have your opinion on tattoos, that's fine, even my ex had no plans on getting them. She didn't however judge people based on artwork they had gotten, and that's the difference between an opinion and ignorance.

Advertisement