Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread MkII

• 19-05-2011 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Welcome to the WeightWatchers thread - whether you're just starting out, you're a veteran point counter or you're just looking for an idea of what's involved, this thread will tell the tales and experiences of fellow WW'ers.

This thread is for support, encouragement and perhaps even a bit of education. If you have any dislikes of the Weight Watchers' system feel free to begin a thread in the main forum, but please bear in mind that the weight loss journey is a difficult enough one to embark on without having to deal with a constant barrage of detractors at every step you take.

With that in mind, WWers please also take note that as eating plans go, WW can be good, but is by no means infallible, and the points system is easily abused. If suggestions are made as to how you can improve your point management, or flaws in the WW system are pointed out in a constructive and practical way, try not to take it as a negative. There are a lot of very helpful and experienced folk who post around these parts, many of whom who've been through this journey too.

Please note however that given that the ethos of this forum is about healthy eating if any posts are deemed to be unsuitable for the thread/ forum they will be deleted.
    ***Some Do's and Don'ts***

1. DO report posts that are abusive, inflammatory, unhealthy, or go against the ethos of the forum and/ or thread. Please don't try and retaliate on-thread.

2. DON'T use the thread as a food diary. Any posters found to be logging their points on a daily basis will be banned.

3. DO ask questions about how many points are in food items but please use the search function where possible. There is another WW/ points thread that can also be availed of.

4. DO bear in mind that unhealthy eating behaviours cannot be supported in the forum and any posts found to be cause for concern will be deleted.

If you've any doubts or questions please feel free to PM one of the Moderators of the forum for help.

Best of luck everyone in your weight loss and healthy eating journeys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Kay_80

Thank you for that g'em :) so we're off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 LORNLAKES22

Got it Thanks, better log off now - have a job to do !!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

I'm having people round for dinner tonight & I'm making roast stuffed butternut squash (2pp) for starter. I was wondering if anyone could inspire me about a (preferably 0pp) garnish for the plate. Because it is a hot starter, I didn't think salad would be appropriate. I'll be cooking carrots, brocolli, mange tout, brussel sprouts & courgette for the main course (to go along with the baby boiled potatoes & barbecued salmon). Do you think I should add any of them, or would I just not bother with a garnish. Any help from you great cooks out there would be appreciated.

Off now to do some major housework & clear all the laundry & toys out of the dining room so we can use it! Should clock up loads of activity points today!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

ppl can still have.....that rare occasional less than perfect dinner out....as long as there over all attitude to ww is healthy eating! which i agree with 20000000% Its one thing i alway found lacking at the meetings last summer....well with my leader anyways....she didn't actually give ppl the basics in nutrition...which for me is the basics of any.....eating plan

I eat quite healthily on ww.....but occasionally.....i will want a slice of pizza....or a muffin!

and ooooh that was one of the things i hated with the old ww system....the whole under eating thing all week just to splurge on a night out...in the new system that's what the "weeklies" are for....they discourage this whole starvation....binge mentality....which just to me sounded like the first step to a dangerous place if someone took it too far.

Full respect for those who can/choose to lose weight with other means....but all i will ask is...those who don't believe in ww...don't paint us all with the same brush...don't assume...as one poster said...assume "we're crying into our ww cakes cos we're fat"....we do try to educate each other here....about eating habits, types of food, not just pp values....and well for some people....they will only learn from there own mistakes...ya gotta fall before ya rise!

G'em, thanks again! Mod of the year! Your poor head must be going gaga from the letters pp and ww haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

woohoo, we have a 'new' home!:D

dont forget about me and 'my motivational tool', i'm not going to call it a league as I wont be listing people in order of %, instead I'll be listing people in order of how long they are in it, so you can compare against people with similar time i the 'motivational tool'.

I will only report weeks active, weekly% loss and overall % loss.

as mentioned, my first sort will be by weeks active, but I can also sort a secondary sort by weight, this wont be seen but you will be in the list amongst people active teh same number of weeks as you and around the same weight so people can gauge how you are doing compared to them -> only a suggestion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Jackie307133

So we're on a new page now, hope everyone get's on aswell on this form as they did on the previous one. Good Luck all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭izzy24

thanks for all the lasagne recipes will be making it tomarrow:D... my mouth is watering at the thought of it ha ha:p...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Oooh, new thread, all so shiny and new! :D It's actually making me feel very positive at the moment, like a new chapter. Feeling quite motivated to eat healthy and get on with my weight loss :D:D
    fofany wrote: »
    I'm having people round for dinner tonight & I'm making roast stuffed butternut squash (2pp) for starter. I was wondering if anyone could inspire me about a (preferably 0pp) garnish for the plate. Because it is a hot starter, I didn't think salad would be appropriate. I'll be cooking carrots, brocolli, mange tout, brussel sprouts & courgette for the main course (to go along with the baby boiled potatoes & barbecued salmon). Do you think I should add any of them, or would I just not bother with a garnish. Any help from you great cooks out there would be appreciated.

Off now to do some major housework & clear all the laundry & toys out of the dining room so we can use it! Should clock up loads of activity points today!

Fofany, I think you could put salad with the BNS for starter. I find the BNS quite filling so you want them to have room for their dinner. I'd say a little bit of rocket and spinach salad might be nice, with some balsamic dressing? Maybe a few grated carrots to add a bit of colour? Or else I like to have a bit of coleslaw with mine, but you'd have to point it! Enjoy your night :D

and you know what....it is a fresh start....for most of the regulars...we are on a healthy eating kick for the most part....but maybe now with a greater emphasis put on healthy eating....some posters might take it as a wake up call and really step up to the mark...and become healthier...cos as the opening post of this thread says....there are some ppl that twist and abuse ww....not pointing fingers at anyone.....cos hell I'm FAAAAAR from perfect....but hey...none of us would be in ww if we were perfect!

New thread actually perfect timing for me anyways :) Fresh new thread for the summer :) Links to various threads in my signature

ww baking, old ww thread, New 2011 ww thread

I'll be putting my Bran muffins into the baking thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭FatGirlSlim

Hey all,

A nice new thread for us all!!

I've kept on the straight and narrow all week so far so feeling good!

Found out the quorn sausies are only 1 each which is great, as long as I avoid quorn with pastry or crumb coatings I'm pretty much sorted!

• Advertisement

Fofany I would also serve a salad but maybe more of a salsa to lighten the squash. Some chopped toms, cucumber, roasted peppers(can be cold or warm), onion, corriader chopped some extra virgin olive oil drizzled with either some fresh lime or balsamic. If everything is chopped a similar size it might make for a nice little mix with the squash - what did you stuff it with? :)

Welcome all the newbies & oldies alike! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Woohoo, my first post in the new thread!

Cajun chicken salad with balsamic vinegar for lunch, twas gorgeous!

On my 3rd 500ml bottle of water for the day.

Would anyone have any idea of the pp in beef sausages? Himself loves them so I got them the other day instead of pork, not a huge fan of the pork ones myself but I love chicken sausages, thought I'd give the beef ones a whirl!

So wk 2 of strep & I'm back in work today - still have very little appatite or ability to eat due to swollen tonsils & flipping mouth ulcers but I just managed to eat some tuna salad so I can take my tablets & a bowl of cereal this morning to change up from porridge. Can't eat any fruit yet though the acid hurts too much ouch! I miss pineapple & strawberries ATM!

I had a sneaky look on the scales this morn ( I know very bold!) & it says I'm down - quite alot but official WI is tomor so will wait till then to post! I know it's somewhat of a false loss cos very little eaten all wk & been unable to exercise but if I can keep the loss it's telling me I have & even STS nxt wk when I hope to eat normally again. God i csnnot wait to hsve some salmon, a massive salad & maybe some baby potato salad i miss solid food! Going to have to get some Bon jella or something these mouth ulcers are a pain! Good luck to all with WI later!

Kay_80 wrote: »
    So wk 2 of strep & I'm back in work today - still have very little appatite or ability to eat due to swollen tonsils & flipping mouth ulcers but I just managed to eat some tuna salad so I can take my tablets & a bowl of cereal this morning to change up from porridge. Can't eat any fruit yet though the acid hurts too much ouch! I miss pineapple & strawberries ATM!

I had a sneaky look on the scales this morn ( I know very bold!) & it says I'm down - quite alot but official WI is tomor so will wait till then to post! I know it's somewhat of a false loss cos very little eaten all wk & been unable to exercise but if I can keep the loss it's telling me I have & even STS nxt wk when I hope to eat normally again. God i csnnot wait to hsve some salmon, a massive salad & maybe some baby potato salad i miss solid food! Going to have to get some Bon jella or something these mouth ulcers are a pain! Good luck to all with WI later!

LOL i thought you were saying bon jelly haha! Strep throat is horrible! I bet you thought u'd never be pining for fruit and salads and exercise before you started ww. I know your on a mountain of tablets, maybe take a multivitamin as your not able to eat enough.

some pharmacy sells Post-biotics, its like a week long programme of one tablet a day to restock the healthy bacteria and flora in your body after being on antibiotics for a while. Anti biotoics destory me...drain the life out of me...I'd still be feeling like cr*p for about two weeks after finishing them...when i get really sick...takes me ages to "bounce" back and get the wagon in motion again. ask your doctor/pharmacy about it first....I'm no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 47 brightstar

wow so much has gone on since I was here yesterday evening! Nearly coun't find ye ;)

Gorgeous dinner last night

Fried some garlic,chilli onion, peppers, mushrooms, courgette, added half a jar of passata and some black pepper then a tablespoon of philadelphia light with garlic & herbs.
    Put 2 chicken breasts in a casserole dish poured over the sauce, covered and cooked for 40mins in the oven. Served with oven baked herby potatos & salad all for 9pps..

DELISH :D

fofany wrote: »

looking on the ww site, they have a recipe for stuffed BNS, and its just served with a lil parsly...is it quite a big portion? do you need anything else on the plate?

another BNS recipe had it served with roasted on the vine baby tomatoes, looked very cute, just says to roast them on the vine for bout five mins at the end of cooking.

Lol Lainy it did say Bon jelly after I hit submit! The iPhone annoyingly autocorrects some words! I actually have always eaten alot of fruit believe it or not the difference in me now food wise is that I eat more! But I don't allow any of the occasional treats I had before ww biscuits, cake, sweets, Doritos! Because they were becoming a habit & not an occasional treat!! My exercise has increased on WW for sure though & the other thing that's changed is planning my job is mega stressful & sometimes I get home very late & often times skipped having dinner & just had toast or picked something not great to eat whereas now I pretty much have my meals all planned out & my 'rush dinner' is a fillet of haddock or cod with some baby spuds & salad ;)

This is why I know this is working for me it's eating the foods I've always eaten but just finding better ways to maximise my pp. I'm lucky I'm that I never liked takeaways they weren't part of my diet so I didn't have that habit to break! Haribo on the other hand well we always had a love/hate relationship!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭lil kc

Hey all, I had some lovely Veggie burgers from Linda Mc Cartney's range yesterday and they are 1PP:eek: per burger. I'm not a vegetarian but these were quite nice and I had them with lots of veg. I grilled them with some onions and had a slice of Low Low cheese with them too.

Ooh which ones were they lil KC the 'faux meat' ones or the actual veg ones? That's great pp value!

Ooh which ones were they lil KC the 'faux meat' ones or the actual veg ones? That's great pp value!

Oh i really can't remember, but I do know they had red onion in them and it says that on the box. Yeah I worked it out twice cos I couldn't believe it.

• Advertisement

lil kc wrote: »
    Hey all, I had some lovely Veggie burgers from Linda Mc Carthy's range yesterday and they are 1PP:eek: per burger. I'm not a vegetarian but these were quite nice and I had them with lots of veg. I grilled them with some onions and had a slice of Low Low cheese with them too.

1pp.....wow???? cos the birds eye veggie ones are like 7, but theres alot of potato in them i think...plus the outer breadcrumbs..

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭fofany

Fofany I would also serve a salad but maybe more of a salsa to lighten the squash. Some chopped toms, cucumber, roasted peppers(can be cold or warm), onion, corriader chopped some extra virgin olive oil drizzled with either some fresh lime or balsamic. If everything is chopped a similar size it might make for a nice little mix with the squash - what did you stuff it with? :)

Welcome all the newbies & oldies alike! :)

Going to fry onion, garlic, pepper & mushrooms & then add the scooped out BNS when they are done. Scoop back into the skins, add greated cheese on top & pop back into the oven for about another 20 mins.
    So wk 2 of strep & I'm back in work today - still have very little appatite or ability to eat due to swollen tonsils & flipping mouth ulcers but I just managed to eat some tuna salad so I can take my tablets & a bowl of cereal this morning to change up from porridge.
    Going to have to get some Bon jella or something these mouth ulcers are a pain! Good luck to all with WI later!

I find Anbesol great for mouth ulcers. It comes in a small bottle (about 2 inches high) & can be used for children too.
    Lady Lainy wrote: »
    looking on the ww site, they have a recipe for stuffed BNS, and its just served with a lil parsly...is it quite a big portion? do you need anything else on the plate?

another BNS recipe had it served with roasted on the vine baby tomatoes, looked very cute, just says to roast them on the vine for bout five mins at the end of cooking.

I love the idea of the roasted tomaotes on the vine - might try that, if I have time to go out & get tomatoes on the vine first. I managed to get some small BNS - don't want everyone stuffed after the starter, but I'll serve them on smallish plates so they won't need much more to fill them - I just wanted to look professional!

Yum! Love the sound of that stuffing Fofany I may steal it I've 2 BNS at home & once I'm better I want to cook up lots of nice different things- this'll be a good start! I hope the dinner party goes well, your menu sounds yum! Have a great night ;)

Oh & thanks for mouth ulcer tip I'll try get that on the way home from work & Lainy I'll ask the pharmacist about that supplement as well thank you! :)

Lady Lainy wrote: »
    1pp.....wow???? cos the birds eye veggie ones are like 7, but theres alot of potato in them i think...plus the outer breadcrumbs..

Yep these don't have potatoes in them and they are quite thin but i was full when I had bulky veg. I had 2 of them. I am going to a BBQ on Sat so defo gonna bring a box of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 annabellaxx

Just thought I'd welcome myself and everybody else to the new thread. Missed all the shenanigans, but glad to see it all ended well. I am hopeless at posting but read through all the posts eventually - really is great, so thanks to all of you who are so generous with your tips and info and encouragement and humour.:D

I think this means I'm a lurker...which sounds really rude:P

lil kc wrote: »
    Yep these don't have potatoes in them and they are quite thin but i was full when I had bulky veg. I had 2 of them. I am going to a BBQ on Sat so defo gonna bring a box of them.

oh i know the ones, like quorn burgers, thats what the other poster ment by "faux meat" i think! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LinK3

Hi Guys, so excited about new thread.... Okay I'm being very good, on my 5 th week, and have lost 8 pounds so far!! I've 8 to go for my target of 10 st 3 but would love to go a little lower for lee way.. Trouble is I work in a sweetshop and oh god the smell of them when I'm refilling the jars.... Sweets are my downfall so it can be hard, I give in the odd time...I need a distraction so this forum keeps me sane!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

I've recently joined weightwatchers after numerous failled attempts at losing weight and I have to say I'm liking it so far and am already 3.5lbs down in my first week which is the most I've lost in the same amount on any other diet.

Just need some advice, I am a huge fan of thai food, espec the curries. From what I've been reading on the previous thread, Coconut milk is bad points wise and as this is a key ingredient in the curries, is there a low points option that someone knows of?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Theres light coconut milk that I use.

Can't remember offhand how many points are in it but as far as I remember it's not too bad, depending on how many portions you want to get from it - if you have full tin by yourself then it would be high but if you get about 4 then its not too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Naid23 wrote: »
    I've recently joined weightwatchers after numerous failled attempts at losing weight and I have to say I'm liking it so far and am already 3.5lbs down in my first week which is the most I've lost in the same amount on any other diet.

Just need some advice, I am a huge fan of thai food, espec the curries. From what I've been reading on the previous thread, Coconut milk is bad points wise and as this is a key ingredient in the curries, is there a low points option that someone knows of?

Thanks

The Chicken Curry Recipe that is given in the Food book, I think it's the blue book, is lovely! I've made it a few times and I think others have too. I tend to bulk it up by throwing in a load of peppers and onions and whatever veg I have in the fridge. Love my veg :D:D:D

WI at 7pm - not looking forward to it, but as the fella says "do the crime and pay the fine" or something to that effect :) Next week will be better! Think I will make that salmon that someone posted in the old thread - with the philadelphia, might stick some capers into it as well for a bit of bite :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement