Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Sports Arena 2015 Feedback thread **Mod warning post 121**

• 28-12-2014 8:51am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Thread will be unlocked on 2nd of Jan; preliminary duration until 16th of Jan but may run longer if it's still active at that point.

This thread is to give feedback on the Fantasy Sports Arena forum; any feedback is welcome but note the word is feedback, not criticism. This means you can complain about something and give examples to posts of said complaint but simply stating that FPJ sux or Newbies should not be allowed to post is not on as it does not help anyone. Anything brought up will be reviewed but is not in any way guaranteed to be implemented.

If you think nothing needs to be changed that's perfectly fine; that's also feedback :)

Currently the following points have been brought up as discussion points; you're not limited to these points only. The original source of these points can be found in this thread.
    • Tidy up the amount of threads to consolidate discussion - please include suggested grouping(s)
    • Introduce set times before certain game week threads can be created
    • Ban the "oh no I've made a terrible mistake transferring in Play A instead of Player B"
    • Creating a sticky for FAQ & terminology for new players
    • Creating sub forums for non FPL leagues / sports or alternatively implement a tag system

Please note ALL feedback is welcome; this means this thread will be heavily modded yet will also allow breaches of forum policy including discussion of mod decisions on thread with in reason; if you're not sure if it may be going to far please PM me or FutureGuy first for a green light.

Once the thread is deemed to have wound up I'll summarize all the feedback and discuss with FutureGuy on what, if any, changes to be implemented and how. Once again there are no promises that any suggested changes will be implemented but they will be reviewed.

//MOD

Please read post 121 before posting; failure to read the post is not an excuse.

//MOD

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And the thread is unlocked; post away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,752 ✭✭✭✭CSF

First and foremost, threads shouldn't be littered with people asking questions about how the game works. There is a very comprehensive page on the site which goes through it all.

Anything that isn't covered on there, is certainly worthy of discussion.

You could go with a sticky with the list of rules on it, but really that isn't so necessary because the information is very easily accessed. It is only laziness that leads to people using the forum as their own personal FAQ rather than a venue for constructive discussion and somewhere to bounce ideas off each other.

This should be something that we can report to the moderators, and they will infract accordingly.

At the same time, I appreciate that one could look for something and possibly miss it, so where someone clarifies they've looked for the information (and it isn't glaringly obvious that they haven't), or just don't understand wording, and seek to clarify that wording, no infraction should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I think we could do with a subforum for FSA competitions e.g. the leagues, draft league, any cup competition we run. I can scan the list of threads easy enough to get what I want, but there are a good few of these threads and they make it harder for newbies to negotiate the FSA.

Otherwise, sterling work everyone.

I think we could do with a subforum for FSA competitions e.g. the leagues, draft league, any cup competition we run. I can scan the list of threads easy enough to get what I want, but there are a good few of these threads and they make it harder for newbies to negotiate the FSA.

Personally I think the main forum would lose out greatly from the lack of these, but then again I'm biased.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Too many threads serving the same purpose imo.

Just a little thing that has always annoyed me. People posting their teams in the match day thread, I've read all about your team in the transfer thread I don't want to be reading about it in the match day threadz keep that thread for updates on games.

• Advertisement

There's an option on the soccer forum to remove superthreads, maybe they could do something similar here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Would tags help? I.e. we can have a list of tags to show what the thread is applicable to?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Too many threads serving the same purpose imo.

Just a little thing that has always annoyed me. People posting their teams in the match day thread, I've read all about your team in the transfer thread I don't want to be reading about it in the match day threadz keep that thread for updates on games.
    Would agree with this, but if you're going with this, you'd want to be separating the matchday thread into 2 threads, the actual matchday thread, and the 'Your Team Gameweek 22 Thread' which will have people complaining about even more threads on the forum.

Personally I don't buy too much into the too many threads argument. I've never had too many problems navigating here. A thread will usually stay comfortably on the first page even 2 days after anyone has bothered posting in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Yeah I agree with CSF, no problem with the amount of threads. It's not as if we have a load of new threads popping up on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

First and foremost, it has to be said the forum is well run and enjoyable to read, post and follow. A feedback thread is a good idea as well just to get the users thoughts out in the open.

Considering this we shouldn’t be looking to implement lots of hard and fast rules imo. If its broke don’t fix it, and the forum certainly isn’t broken. A lot of forums on Boards.ie have been destroyed by too many rules and it simply takes the fun out of things. This is supposed to be a game and the forum should be relaxed rules wise

Regarding threads. I don’t believe there are too many threads. There is the standard General thread, RMT thread and then the individual GW capt, transfers and matchday threads. A lot of FSA league threads granted, but that should be encouraged as its good community stuff. I also don’t have any issue with the timing of a thread being created. What difference does it make if a matchday thread is started at 5 past midnight or 5 past 9 in the morning, likewise with the transfers thread being started as soon as the new deadline has passed. The only stipulation around timing of threads being started should be that its on the matchday (for match day threads) or past the deadline (for transfers threads).

I would like to suggest that users on the forum add a simple indication to their sig to identify their FPL/UFPL team. It would be useful to be able to check others teams and performance to evaluate advice given. A FPL button exists on FISO for this, but would probably be too much to ask the site developers on Boards.ie to implement one but just a simple F:team ID number would work well. This doesn’t need to be mandatory but should be encouraged imo.

However, I also feel that users using others ranking to say their opinion isn’t valid shouldn’t be allowed and should be moderated heavily. An opinion or advice should be given, its up to others to take it up or not, no one should be subject to getting a response along the lines of ‘your rank is 1 million and therefore your advice is rubbish’. If you don’t agree argue the case its just a bit lazy relying on rank or past performance

Something which has crept in a little recently and needs to be stamped out quickly and strongly is posters deliberately posting misleading or fake calls during matchdays. Not genuine mistakes now, but for the laugh posting ‘AUSTIN!!!!!’ and then further down the post something please ‘please score’. This sort of thing should be an auto ban imo. It is rife on sites with chatboxes (totalfpl for example) and shouldn’t be allowed at all here. Genuine mistakes are different of course but the deliberate stuff should be stamped out.

The game can be frustrating, and sometimes on match threads posters can get frustrated with others posting about a good or bad score or the famous ‘happy enough with that’ after a good score. Collective chill pills need to be taken there lads. Its become a bit of an in joke on the forum now, embrace it :)

Agree fully about the FAQ, but problem is people still wont read it. But if someone (CSF) could just link to the thread every time someone asks a question that’s already answered as opposed to answering it again then that would be great.
    One suggestion for the moderating team, I’ve noticed a few times that troll type posts are deleted, presumably the poster warned in private etc, but is it not better practise to deal with it on thread as it sets the example to follow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Very good post Kev, I agree with practically everything, that Austin post yesterday is the prime example of what this forum is not about and probably should have been dealt with severely and publicly (as you said Kev)

Being honest we cannot ever stamp out the silly questions and shouldn't take ourselves so seriously when it is a newcomer who is asking about the rules, no point giving grief that will discourage them from looking in again, simple response (CSF:P) in a friendly way will do.

All in all it is a brilliant forum, nothing broken, nothing to be fixed.

KevIRL wrote: »
    First and foremost, it has to be said the forum is well run and enjoyable to read, post and follow. A feedback thread is a good idea as well just to get the users thoughts out in the open.

Considering this we shouldn’t be looking to implement lots of hard and fast rules imo. If its broke don’t fix it, and the forum certainly isn’t broken. A lot of forums on Boards.ie have been destroyed by too many rules and it simply takes the fun out of things. This is supposed to be a game and the forum should be relaxed rules wise

Regarding threads. I don’t believe there are too many threads. There is the standard General thread, RMT thread and then the individual GW capt, transfers and matchday threads. A lot of FSA league threads granted, but that should be encouraged as its good community stuff. I also don’t have any issue with the timing of a thread being created. What difference does it make if a matchday thread is started at 5 past midnight or 5 past 9 in the morning, likewise with the transfers thread being started as soon as the new deadline has passed. The only stipulation around timing of threads being started should be that its on the matchday (for match day threads) or past the deadline (for transfers threads).

I would like to suggest that users on the forum add a simple indication to their sig to identify their FPL/UFPL team. It would be useful to be able to check others teams and performance to evaluate advice given. A FPL button exists on FISO for this, but would probably be too much to ask the site developers on Boards.ie to implement one but just a simple F:team ID number would work well. This doesn’t need to be mandatory but should be encouraged imo.

However, I also feel that users using others ranking to say their opinion isn’t valid shouldn’t be allowed and should be moderated heavily. An opinion or advice should be given, its up to others to take it up or not, no one should be subject to getting a response along the lines of ‘your rank is 1 million and therefore your advice is rubbish’. If you don’t agree argue the case its just a bit lazy relying on rank or past performance

Something which has crept in a little recently and needs to be stamped out quickly and strongly is posters deliberately posting misleading or fake calls during matchdays. Not genuine mistakes now, but for the laugh posting ‘AUSTIN!!!!!’ and then further down the post something please ‘please score’. This sort of thing should be an auto ban imo. It is rife on sites with chatboxes (totalfpl for example) and shouldn’t be allowed at all here. Genuine mistakes are different of course but the deliberate stuff should be stamped out.

The game can be frustrating, and sometimes on match threads posters can get frustrated with others posting about a good or bad score or the famous ‘happy enough with that’ after a good score. Collective chill pills need to be taken there lads. Its become a bit of an in joke on the forum now, embrace it :)

Agree fully about the FAQ, but problem is people still wont read it. But if someone (CSF) could just link to the thread every time someone asks a question that’s already answered as opposed to answering it again then that would be great.
    One suggestion for the moderating team, I’ve noticed a few times that troll type posts are deleted, presumably the poster warned in private etc, but is it not better practise to deal with it on thread as it sets the example to follow
    The sig thing is a great idea. I'll look to add it into mine ASAP. Agreed completely on the timing of the matchday thread as long as it is on the day of the game. We shouldn't be having a matchday thread days before the game because it isn't the matchday and there are transfer threads etc that deal with the buildup to it.

Hadn't noticed the fake goal alert things thankfully (because that would infuriate me if it affected me). Should be clamped down on in the worst way. It is one of the worst offences someone could commit on this forum. That person might think its a great joke but people really care about their FPL team.

As for the silly questions, I don't want to be constantly providing links to people. Nobody does. I was largely doing it to point out how simple it would be for them to find the information themselves, rather than because I think these people really deserve to have me or the forum teach them the basic mechanics of the game. They need to go for the link themselves, and should be dealt with if they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,493 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Being honest we cannot ever stamp out the silly questions and shouldn't take ourselves so seriously when it is a newcomer who is asking about the rules, no point giving grief that will discourage them from looking in again, simple response (CSF:P) in a friendly way will do.

That sums up what I meant perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm happy with the forum. I think Kev's idea about a link to your team in your sig is a good one. I'll add mine on Monday when I'm back on a PC at work.

Re people asking stupid questions and trolls, you are never going to stamp it out completely. I think those that do pop their head up are dealt with well by the forum.

KevIRL wrote: »
    That sums up what I meant perfectly.
    They're becoming all the more regular though, and really do clog up threads and disrupt actual FPL related talk. If it was once every few months that would be a fair approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

CSF wrote: »
    Personally I think the main forum would lose out greatly from the lack of these, but then again I'm biased.
    Indeed :D

Fair enough, I'm not involved in any so have a different perspective, but it's not a biggie. Maybe Nody's tag suggestion would be good, althiough I can't for the life of me remember seeing these on boards before.

As for fake goal shouts, that should be cardable.

Indeed :D

Fair enough, I'm not involved in any so have a different perspective, but it's not a biggie. Maybe Nody's tag suggestion would be good, althiough I can't for the life of me remember seeing these on boards before.

As for fake goal shouts, that should be cardable.
    Join in next year, hopefully we can win you over still :D

Another thing maybe someone could edit In the teams to the first post of the match day thread. Would save you having to search the thread for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Another thing maybe someone could edit In the teams to the first post of the match day thread. Would save you having to search the thread for them.

That's a great idea.

You'd wanna have a dedicated person who makes the matchday threads and posts the team in that case. I'm not able to edit your posts for example, so it would all fall on one person.

I know which Finn Harps supporting person I would nominate if he were willing ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think the forum has been running extremely smoothly for the past few months now, and it always has run smoothly in my time here posting really. I agree with Kev that if forum is working fine then we don't need to go mad with new, stricter rules for the sake of it.

The 3 main things that I've picked up on as gripes of varying sizes are: 1. Threads being opened too early, 2. Becoming overwhelmingly an FPL forum and 3. The forum being used as a personal google for simple questions that would be quicker to check in the actual rules section.

1. I have absolutely no problem with Matchday threads and Transfer threads being opened early within reason. The whole purpose of the forum and the website is debate and discussion so if somebody has something to contribute to such a topic then work away. Obviously not starting a Matchday thread a week early and applying common sense but the transfers thread has every right to be opened straight after the previous one closes. It's the logical time to do really.

2. There's no denying that about 99% of threads in the forum are English Premier League related but that's surely down to demand. 2/3 Rugby games are played throughout the year without any problem and I remember golf used to have a thread early on in my time here. If more games were introduced or played in here then perhaps we could look at tags etc. I see no reason for sub-forums right now but perhaps I'm too close to see clearly.

3. It seems more of these basic questions are being asked and regardless of whether it works or not you could include a sticky with the rules. Copy and paste the rules in full. There is absolutely no harm in questions being asked assuming there's a good reason for them to be asked. I'd be against the reporting and actioning on such things as it could leave a bad taste in new posters mouths and the fact that it'd drive the mods barmy (well it would have for me anyway :pac: ) But these questions do seem to be clogging up a little more than they used to.

I'm not sure if I can think of anything else just yet but I'm sure we'll have more things coming up over the next few days.

It's important to say that the Fantasy Sports Arena is a fantastic community with great people that runs really well and has such a sense of camaraderie. The very fact such a competitive game is met such a genuine friendliness in here is an absolute testament to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You'd wanna have a dedicated person who makes the matchday threads and posts the team in that case. I'm not able to edit your posts for example, so it would all fall on one person.

I know which Finn Harps supporting person I would nominate if he were willing ;)

Give that Mr. P back his mod-hood :)

Personally I think it's an awful lot to ask one or two people to do. They would have to be online and ready at 5 or 6 specific times each weekend.

It'd be extremely handy if it was posted in OP...but it's not exactly hard to find the teams as is. Head to the page that starts 50mins before gametime. It's a few clicks away.

PARlance wrote: »

Personally I think it's an awful lot to ask one or two people to do. They would have to be online and ready at 5 or 6 specific times each weekend.

It'd be extremely handy if it was posted in OP...but it's not exactly hard to find the teams as is. Head to the page that starts 50mins before gametime. It's a few clicks away.
    I certainly wouldn't be volunteering for it thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

It'd be extremely handy if posts in OP...but it's not exactly hard to find the teams as is. Head to the page that starts 50mins before gametime. It's a few clicks away.

I'm quite happy with my retirement, still getting payments for another few months :pac:

Yeah I used to do it a lot before and have no problem doing it from time to time but as for putting it on the first page you'd need either a mod or the thread starter to be online at 2:15 and that's not going to work every week. Could certainly be done some of the time but it's not too hard to find the teams really. It's a good idea but it's not something we could get working at 100%

We've 2 mods on here plus whoever starts the thread, so 3 people can edit threads ,if whoever started the thread isn't available for some games you, me or anyone else on here could pm the teams to a mod and they could edit in the teams

Does anyone read r/soccer? Your not allowed start match threads without following set guidelines. Something similar should be brought in here imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

I can take Team line up duty if ye want?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I certainly wouldn't be volunteering for it thats for sure.

You've already got your rules page job anyway :)

I couldn't be relied upon. A few bad GWs and I'm in hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I personally don't think there's any need to put all the lineups in the matchday thread opening post. It's a bit like the newbie question asking really as it requires a bit of searching but in essence is not hard to find at all. Plus it would require a lot of effort for such a small thing when you think about it. As PARlance said it isn't a hard task to find. Just head to page 4 or 5 (for those on 40 posts per page) during Saturday afternoon and they are usually all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Nody wrote: »
    Would tags help? I.e. we can have a list of tags to show what the thread is applicable to?

I think the tags is a good idea. it's used very well over on the Weather forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

As mentioned by KevIRL on first page, "AUSTIN!!!" posts should be an automatic 1 week ban if the poster is obviously trolling.

The Austin rule

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement