Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishtown won't be ready until "Spring 2015"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,398 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Unbelievable, especially considering how good the weather has been since they started the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Murph_D wrote: »
    Unbelievable, especially considering how good the weather has been since they started the work.

There was barely a drop of rain in all of September, and temperatures averaging around 18-19 degrees. Questions need to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

One night of low temps!!! Sack the contractor

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I thought contractors couldn't get away with this sort of behaviour anymore!

The council paying the full bill over the summer while there was probably only about 20-30% of the contractors onsite that they were actually paying bills for..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I collect my kids in the gym there every Wednesday afternoon and I've never seen anyone working on it. Progress is extremely slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

So does that just leave Tallaght and Santry as the only two to use in Dublin?

Are DSD not building their own track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Apparently they have some other job up in Norn Iron that has taken precedence. Its an absolute joke. Just when I decide to take this track fairy stuff seriously too. I'm all too familiar with every blade of grass in Sean Moore Park at this stage.

Apparently they have some other job up in Norn Iron that has taken precedence. Its an absolute joke. Just when I decide to take this track fairy stuff seriously too. I'm all too familiar with every blade of grass in Sean Moore Park at this stage.

Yep and as a result there were 2 perfect weeks in September of high temperatures and 0mm of precipitation and nothing was done during this time.

Maybe an investment in Wimbledon style covers is the answer?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Yep and as a result there were 2 perfect weeks in September of high temperatures and 0mm of precipitation and nothing was done during this time.

Maybe an investment in Wimbledon style covers is the answer?

Yea, we certainly were discussing that as an option down the club but talking to the coach it doesn't seem to be on the table. Just stick a bit of tarpaulin over it and finish it section by section, no? Ye use the track with DSD as well, right? What are ye going to do in the mean time? It will be strange to go in to the indoors not having run on a track in almost a year.

Yea, we certainly were discussing that as an option down the club but talking to the coach it doesn't seem to be on the table. Just stick a bit of tarpaulin over it and finish it section by section, no? Ye use the track with DSD as well, right? What are ye going to do in the mean time? It will be strange to go in to the indoors not having run on a track in almost a year.

Not sure of the plans tbh. We have Santry for Saturday's anyway, so at least we have a track for one of our sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

I'd love to be a student again and waste a day trawling through the tender or bidding process to see if there's any related party type stuff going on, or at least what penalty clauses there are. Presumably if the contractor failed to deliver they should only have costs covered and not be given their profit margin.

I'd love to be a student again and waste a day trawling through the tender or bidding process to see if there's any related party type stuff going on, or at least what penalty clauses there are. Presumably if the contractor failed to deliver they should only have costs covered and not be given their profit margin.

You don't have to spend much time to see that the etenders.ie site lists the tender but not the successful bidder. Which is a little odd. It's a while since I used to look at these things regularly for professional reasons but they used to be pretty good about publishing the result of the bidding process, or at least naming the successful bidder.

Of course I could have missed something.

Any further updates on this? No graded meets have been scheduled for Irishtown. That doesn't exactly send out a positive signal that this is going to be finished at all this summer!!

We are now nearly 2/3rds through "Spring 2015".

No further work done as of last Wednesday, ridiculous carry on altogether

They're meant to be back at the end of this month and weather permitting have the track finished by May. It really is frustrating. I look forward to seeing this date being pushed ever outward :(

They're meant to be back at the end of this month and weather permitting have the track finished by May. It really is frustrating. I look forward to seeing this date being pushed ever outward :(

Situation is a farce. All we have is Santry in Dublin really right now, as Tallaght and Donore won't let non members pay to use their tracks (correct me if I'm wrong).

And Santry is chockerblocked meaning only one track day a week for me on a track, and it's nearly outdoor track season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Situation is a farce. All we have is Santry in Dublin really right now, as Tallaght and Donore won't let non members pay to use their tracks (correct me if I'm wrong).

And Santry is chockerblocked meaning only one track day a week for me on a track, and it's nearly outdoor track season.

Tallaght rent out the track to various groups and clubs at various times, but you're right, you can't just turn up at random times and pay to use the track. I'm pretty sure the cost of employing someone to supervise and take payment is not feasible for a single track.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Lougheee

I recall when the European team championships were on in Dublin in 2013, I turned up to Santry on a Thursday afternoon, the week of the meet to do a session. Never in my life have I seen a track so busy. Every athlete was doing their last tune-up session, relay teams practicing changeovers etc.

Hopped in the car, drove up the M1 to Drogheda and got a great session of 10 x 400m in on their new tartan track. Had the inside lanes all to myself. This was between 6 and 7pm. I think I paid two or three euro and signed the book for the privilege. When you need to get the session done, you will find a way!

Le Cheile have a good track also, can rent that out.

We are trying to get one in Lucan for the last 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

I was talking to a chap there(Irishtown) this morning who says the track should be ready in 4-6 weeks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Sounds bad, the rovers stadium in tallaght was on a 3-4 week timeline for about 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

IMC GV Ryan meet is down for Irishtown on July 11th, so I'd imagine it has to be done by then.

When last I adked, it was end of march

Sacksian wrote: »
    IMC GV Ryan meet is down for Irishtown on July 11th, so I'd imagine it has to be done by then.

Last I checked on the IMC website they had "Venue TBC" down.

Even if it is 4 to 6 weeks (let's assume 6) then we are up to start of June. So much for "spring 2015". At least I've got access to a track 2 days a week now, but still stuck on grass on a Wednesday. Might run more graded meets than planned just to get more track time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Total rumour here ha, but heard somewhere that the Irishtown management are suing the crowd who are doing the work on the track now.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Total rumour here ha, but heard somewhere that the Irishtown management are suing the crowd who are doing the work on the track now.

Haha, can't beat a good rumour.

But they would have a good case, because from what I read, they paid for it in advance, so under consumer law they are due a refund at least.

But they would have a good case, because from what I read, they paid for it in advance, so under consumer law they are due a refund at least.

It was a public tender process. Would be amazed if fully paid for in advance as this would have to have been stipulated in the tender. Where did you read this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Consumer law applies to private individuals, it wouldn't have any relevance here (barring the unlikely scenario that an individual Irishtown coach paid for it out of their own pocket).

There might be breach of contract stuff going on, but only someone with extensive knowledge of every aspect of the deal would be even able to comment. Anything else is just wild speculation

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Consumer law applies to private individuals, it wouldn't have any relevance here (barring the unlikely scenario that an individual Irishtown coach paid for it out of their own pocket).

There might be breach of contract stuff going on, but only someone with extensive knowledge of every aspect of the deal would be even able to comment. Anything else is just wild speculation

Private Individuals or not, there is a reasonable amount of time a service has to be provided, problem is the time it takes in the courts

Advertisement