Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking Blackrock

• 04-10-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Need a parking space in or around Blackrock Village
    Are there any streets with free parking or reasonably priced
    parking spots

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Which Blackrock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mailforkev

If you mean Blackrock, Co. Dublin then it's a nightmare for parking, I gave up driving to work 3 years ago and now get the bus.

Over the last 5 years they have extended the pay parking to everywhere within 10 mins walk of the village, it's a pain in the arse.

For free parking you need to head up past UCD Smurfit, DART station is €5 a day if you are there by 8am to get a spot. If you only need an hour or two then park in Frascati (M&S) where it's €1 an hour. Otherwise it's on-street parking, a lot of which is 3 hrs maximum stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DS22

Blackrock Co Dublin

Need parking all day

Coming from Ballyboden so no direct bus

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

you could get a 15b or 16 to rathfarnham and then get a 17 to blackrock or a 75 to dun laoghaire and then dart to blackrock but both are a bit messy.

Will look at the 17 bus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

17 is a rare bus. I did that commute for 4 years, Knocklyon-Blackrock and theres no decent way to get there without driving

Thanks for that
    May have to look at parking near Newtownpark Avenue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

mailforkev wrote: »
    Over the last 5 years they have extended the pay parking to everywhere within 10 mins walk of the village, it's a pain in the arse.

Except I presume for the residents who can now park close to where they live?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

DS22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that
    May have to look at parking near Newtownpark Avenue

I worked in Blackrock until 4 months ago. I've never heard of anyone commuting via public transport other than if they we're on a DART or mainline train route. As we all know public transport in Dublin is crap for most cases unless you're going to An Lar. I'd defo ignore suggestions of bus.

There's plenty of parking around Blackrock, just no free parking. Once you're outside the main centre you can park for €5 for the day. The public car parks, behind Wicked Wolf and opposite PTSB etc. appear to be €6 for the day now.

See http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Roads/NewOffStreetParkingChargesJUL10.htm for list of public car parks and max times.

Was there yesterday and you could park on Sweetman's ave (near Hospice) for €5 for the day. You can zip through business park on Carrysford Ave to get to it. Far end (not village end) of Newtown Ave used to be the same but may have changed. Just drive around and read the signs.

As a warning. The parking wardens were privatized a number of years back and are very active throughout the whole pay parking zone. You used to be able to get away without paying in outer areas but no more.

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 153 ✭✭malin182

Hey guys, im gonna re-open this and see if anyone knows of any particular roads out of the main paid parking zone of Blackrock where they dont have any trouble parking at? When I say "no trouble" I mean no angry residents or having to be there very early in the morning to find a place to park? I will be starting work there tomorrow and dont mind a 15 min walk into the centre. I was thinking around the stadbrook road?

Was also wondering if anyone can tell me what traffic is like going that direction from town, I would probably be going along the sandymount strand route?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Remind us again why we need to scroll through a list of 2 1/2 year old posts to read your questions and why you didn't open a new thread?

coylemj wrote: »
    Remind us again why we need to scroll through a list of 2 1/2 year old posts to read your questions and why you didn't open a new thread?
    Remind you? I never said why the first time. And you made the effort to comment and not give an answer to the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

malin182 wrote: »
    Remind you? I never said why the first time. And you made the effort to comment and not give an answer to the question?

OK, I made my point.

You don't have to worry about 'angry' residents in Blackrock, they're a very civilised lot out there.

If by 'angry' you mean people who resent commuters clogging up their streets to avail of free parking, there's nothing to worry about. Blackrock is peppered with white boxes and the local council (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co. Co.) is happy to accept your payment for parking.

Free parking at the church on Newtownopark Avenue - Blackrock end
    Parking at church near Canada Life 6 euro a day

not sure about traffic at that time - best bet take back roads when you can

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

There is one main road "carysfort avenue" that is free. 5-10 mins will have you in blackrock easily. Probably best to get there early in the morning. I was there at 8 a couple of weeks ago and got the last space.

coylemj wrote: »
    OK, I made my point.

You don't have to worry about 'angry' residents in Blackrock, they're a very civilised lot out there.

If by 'angry' you mean people who resent commuters clogging up their streets to avail of free parking, there's nothing to worry about. Blackrock is peppered with white boxes and the local council (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown Co. Co.) is happy to accept your payment for parking.

I assume he meant that he did not want to park outside someones house eg on Newtownpark Ave and annoy local residents with his assumption of a right to do so.
    It is a considerate thought and did not warrant your unneighbourly attitiude.
    I posted this thread a few years back and I am happy to assist anyone, anytime. So off the threads if you are not going to be nice

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Hi I'm also starting a new job there in the next few weeks and looking like getting parking is a nightmare I don't know the area too well but I couldn't see any free parking on carysfort avenue .. Does anyone know what the underground carpark is that is beside permanent tsb?

malin182 wrote: »
    Was also wondering if anyone can tell me what traffic is like going that direction from town, I would probably be going along the sandymount strand route?

If you're coming from town would you not just use the Dart or the 4/7 bus?

Parking is a bit of a nightmare in Blackrock if you want to park for free that is.

• Advertisement

AshF22 wrote: »
    Hi I'm also starting a new job there in the next few weeks and looking like getting parking is a nightmare I don't know the area too well but I couldn't see any free parking on carysfort avenue .. Does anyone know what the underground carpark is that is beside permanent tsb?

Is that not superquinn's car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 megamonsterboy

Hi AshF22

Did you get the parking issue sorted?

I'll be forking out there for a few weeks from next week and would like to get something sorted if possible

Thanks

Advertisement