Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

e30 316i as first car?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Daniel S wrote: »
    Well, I wouldn't be the main driver, he would. I'd only use it for lessons and the test (I could use it right?).

How the hell can someone learn to drive on their own car without spending €6000-ish?

it's costly now a days to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Well, I wouldn't be the main driver, he would. I'd only use it for lessons and the test (I could use it right?).

How the hell can someone learn to drive on their own car without spending €6000-ish?

6000ish?

Your not too far of, but a little over there I think.

There is no easy way round this - insurance for the first few years is expensive.

What your going to have to do is what a lot of other people have done

Buy a small 1-1.3l car. Something along the lines of a Micra/Fiesta/Clio
    Pay 1500-1800 euros for insurance for the first year.
    Pass test.
    Move on to a slightly better car the next year.

I had to do it. I drove a purple starlet for the first year of my driving as there is no easy way around insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

it's costly now a days to be fair.
    Would it make a big difference if i waited till December where I'd have a full license (for three months) and the gender equality thing regarding insurance comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Depends if you see ~500 quid as a big enough difference, because that's probably the max difference in terms of insurance.

Would it make a big difference if i waited till December where I'd have a full license (for three months) and the gender equality thing regarding insurance comes in?

That gender equality thing is not going to make a difference to be honest. Don't be fooled in thinking that they are going to drop the price of the young male insurance. They are just going to increase the price of the female counterpart. Furthermore lining the pockets of the insurance company....

• Advertisement

BX 19 wrote: »
    6000ish?

Your not too far of, but a little over there I think.

There is no easy way round this - insurance for the first few years is expensive.

What your going to have to do is what a lot of other people have done

Buy a small 1-1.3l car. Something along the lines of a Micra/Fiesta/Clio
    Pay 1500-1800 euros for insurance for the first year.
    Pass test.
    Move on to a slightly better car the next year.

I had to do it. I drove a purple starlet for the first year of my driving as there is no easy way around insurance.

For an E30 316i insurance is just under €4000, car itself, €1500 inc. repairs. NCT, tax and petrol? Easily over €6000 I think anyway.

Completely fair point regarding starting, I need to be looking at a ****e car as it's cheap. Do insurance companies care much if you buy the T-Sport Yaris instead of a regular Yaris or a Glanza instead of a Starlet etc?

That gender equality thing is not going to make a difference to be honest. Don't be fooled in thinking that they are going to drop the price of the young male insurance. They are just going to increase the price of the female counterpart. Furthermore lining the pockets of the insurance company....
    Exactly the view of the lads in my house in college! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

It's their job to know about these things because they might be an increased insurance risk, so don't think you'll be fooling them "Sure it's only a yaris!"

Do insurance companies care much if you buy the T-Sport Yaris instead of a regular Yaris or a Glanza instead of a Starlet etc?

On the galanza vs starlet front, yes they very much care if it is. They are two very different cars (driven by different people)

FBD wanted to know whether it was a Galanza or a bog standard granny starlet. I had to give them the chassis number to proove to them that it was not an imported galanza.

Have you driven an E30, OP?

i had one for awhile, they drink fuel and there's always niggly bits to go wrong.

i started off in a Polo, where everyone should start off. You can buy a Polo and keep it for a a few months, and not lose a whole pile of money on it. Learn to drive in it, then move on to the more challenging 20odd year old car with crap brakes, RWD and little other safety features.

• Advertisement

Have you driven an E30, OP?

i had one for awhile, they drink fuel and there's always niggly bits to go wrong.

i started off in a Polo, where everyone should start off. You can buy a Polo and keep it for a a few months, and not lose a whole pile of money on it. Learn to drive in it, then move on to the more challenging 20odd year old car with crap brakes, RWD and little other safety features.

I'm well able to drive. I've driven single seater race cars. I just love E30's, whatever their faults may be.
    On the galanza vs starlet front, yes they very much care if it is. They are two very different cars (driven by different people)

FBD wanted to know whether it was a Galanza or a bog standard granny starlet. I had to give them the chassis number to proove to them that it was not an imported galanza.

Not trying to fool them, just trying to get cheap insurance as I won't be using it a whole bunch. Just learning and doing the test.
    It's their job to know about these things because they might be an increased insurance risk, so don't think you'll be fooling them "Sure it's only a yaris!"

Again, I'll be sticking with "utmost good faith".

If I want to race the car, I'll take it to Mondello for a track day or just go karting.

I'm well able to drive. I've driven single seater race cars. I just love E30's, whatever their faults may be.

Driving a race car has nothing to do with driving on roads. A car doesn't pull out from a blind spot on a track.

Driving a race car has nothing to do with driving on roads. A car doesn't pull out from a blind spot on a track.
    Yep, totally agree. But you were talking about the car being 20 years old, rear wheel drive, challenging and having bad brakes, not road safety.

Yep, totally agree. But you were talking about the car being 20 years old, rear wheel drive, challenging and having bad brakes, not road safety.

Well a single seater race car doesn't prepare you in any way for a 24 year old E30.

Well a single seater race car doesn't prepare you in any way for a 24 year old E30.
    Well, they're rear wheel drive, don't have ABS and drink lots of petrol! :)

Well, they're rear wheel drive, don't have ABS and drink lots of petrol! :)

i hope you're only joking!

I'm just saying, I think I could drive the E30 just as well as mam's 1l Yaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I'm just saying, I think I could drive the E30 just as well as mam's 1l Yaris.

Can you get insured on your mams yaris?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Can you get insured on your mams yaris?
    Seems to be the only option, but it's still very expensive. Really really expensive. I need her to ring and see if I could go down just as a named driver.

Seems to be the only option, but it's still very expensive. Really really expensive. I need her to ring and see if I could go down just as a named driver.

50 quid says it works out cheaper then buying a 3 series and insuring that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

It can't be that expensive, I'm on my moms 2011 Clio 1.2 under my Dad with my brother and mother also on it and its costing us €1,200. That's when i had my learner permit. I've since passed the test but haven't claimed back yet.

It will be no way more expensive than buying an e30, in any aspect. If you can do that for a year and get your test done, then start looking around, you will be in a much stronger position. You could save in the mean time and get a better condition car when buying time comes.

Id be the last person in the world to deny someone the privilege of driving a nice car, but persisting in buying an e30 at your age on a provisional licence is lunacy IMO.

50 quid says it works out cheaper then buying a 3 series and insuring that :D
    Not a chance! :pac:
    It can't be that expensive, I'm on my moms 2011 Clio 1.2 under my Dad with my brother and mother also on it and its costing us €1,200. That's when i had my learner permit. I've since passed the test but haven't claimed back yet.
    Looks to be the only option alright.

It will be no way more expensive than buying an e30, in any aspect. If you can do that for a year and get your test done, then start looking around, you will be in a much stronger position. You could save in the mean time and get a better condition car when buying time comes.

Id be the last person in the world to deny someone the privilege of driving a nice car, but persisting in buying an e30 at your age on a provisional licence is lunacy IMO.
    I just went on quoteme.ie and lobbed in mams details with me and dad as named drivers. Cheapest was with Aviva Broker Motorchoice Standard at €903.00. I think she's currently paying around €3xx for the year though. Pretty big hike although, less than €2 a day extra for me doesn't sound too bad.

Would they insure me as a named driver on mams car just for the summer where I could get a good bit of practice in and get the compusary lessons done. Then finish with the insurance, do the test and then go back?

A friend of mine went down the named driving route for 2 years, he's paying through his teeth now for his own insurance.

i was always realistic with what i would insure. i started off on a Polo and moved onto a Golf and kept that for three years. With having an E30 and a Merc in between.

When is your mothers policy up? If it is late summer then perfect, just get added for the rest of this policy and pass your test in the meantime, then drop off hers when the policy is up for renewal and get your own, armed with the pink piece of paper in the back pocket.

I just went on quoteme.ie and lobbed in mams details with me and dad as named drivers. Cheapest was with Aviva Broker Motorchoice Standard at €903.00. I think she's currently paying around €3xx for the year though. Pretty big hike although, less than €2 a day extra for me doesn't sound too bad.

Would they insure me as a named driver on mams car just for the summer where I could get a good bit of practice in and get the compusary lessons done. Then finish with the insurance, do the test and then go back?

Get the golden pages out. ring every broker/insurance company in there. You will get a better deal then that.

A friend of mine went down the named driving route for 2 years, he's paying through his teeth now for his own insurance.

i was always realistic with what i would insure. i started off on a Polo and moved onto a Golf and kept that for three years. With having an E30 and a Merc in between.

I'd only want to be on named insurance until I got my test.
    When is your mothers policy up? If it is late summer then perfect, just get added for the rest of this policy and pass your test in the meantime, then drop off hers when the policy is up for renewal and get your own, armed with the pink piece of paper in the back pocket.

Mam's policy isn't due for renewal for another 9 months I'd say. That said, it's gonna be six months till I can do my test as I only got the lerners permit there last Wednesday.
    Get the golden pages out. ring every broker/insurance company in there. You will get a better deal then that.

Will do, but probably after exams. It's either go on mams now or wait. Should be studying now! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭hunkydory1

I had a 316i a few years back. Lovely looking car but very under powered. I can see why they are popular to younger drivers. However i found mine to be tail happy in the wet and wonder whether they are an ideal car for a young driver. Something more modern that's front wheel drive with a better safety rating for what might be similar money as a first car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

hunkydory1 wrote: »
    I had a 316i a few years back. Lovely looking car but very under powered. I can see why they are popular to younger drivers. However i found mine to be tail happy in the wet and wonder whether they are an ideal car for a young driver. Something more modern that's front wheel drive with a better safety rating for what might be similar money as a first car

but driving RWD feels more natural....

all the eastern europeans i know always say " how can irish people drive these s*** cars * pointing at honda civic and other fwd cars *... why dont they buy cheap bmw instead so you can Really learn how to drive better in good/bad weather "

after explaining this they sigh and enjoy a better driving life at home... :P

but really an original e30 316i would be light enough... fairless gutless but fun in a wet....

i see no problems if you can do it oP go for it !

Advertisement