Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IMRA season 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Website seems to be down at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

It's online now, I just paid for the year's membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭summit2summit

More info on new jacket rule:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3888

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Looking forward to doing some of these races. On the wicklow way solo... are numbers limited and is it difficult to get a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Going to do ballyhoura this weekend. Got to make up for my lack of strength climbing and lack of balls on the descent from the top last year. See after that if I'll have another pop at the mountains before track and roads take over.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Looking forward to doing some of these races. On the wicklow way solo... are numbers limited and is it difficult to get a place?

You should be able to get a place for this easy enough but keep an eye on the forum just to make sure. Can't go wrong for €50! It's a lot of race for not much €€!

Folks, remember the HOWTH race has a different start location. It will not be at the GAA club this time round.

Mandatory kit for this race is a jacket and hat/buff

More detial here:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3880

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

More info on new jacket rule:

https://www.imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3888
    Sorry to ask a stupid question (I'm a newbie) - what's a showerproof and windproof jacket roughly defined as?

e.g. which of these would be acceptable?
    http://www.ronhill.com/men-s-outwear

I do plenty of hiking, but I'm not about to turn up in a full-on goretex hiking jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

You should be able to get a place for this easy enough but keep an eye on the forum just to make sure. Can't go wrong for €50! It's a lot of race for not much €€!

Less than 50c a km.. bargain :)

hmmm wrote: »
    Sorry to ask a stupid question (I'm a newbie) - what's a showerproof and windproof jacket roughly defined as?

e.g. which of these would be acceptable?
    http://www.ronhill.com/men-s-outwear

I do plenty of hiking, but I'm not about to turn up in a full-on goretex hiking jacket.

As long as the jacket is wind and shower proof at a minimum that will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 DannyOH

Ran my first one of these a couple of weeks ago in Ballyhoura. That was supposed to be one of the easier courses!?! (5 out of 10!!) Found it extremely difficult but loved it, and loved the friendly atmosphere and meet in the pub after. I'm hooked for the season now!

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Similar to DannyOH I did my first one at ticknock (7 rating?) last weekend . Great course, quite difficult ups and downs. I've run on hills before but never raced and never off road so it was almost all new to me.

I could not recommend it more, I'm still buzzing today from the pain up hill and the speed downhill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Nice drone video of the leadmines.

Youtube.com/watch?v=3LKmC8xlBZ0

Great race today at Annacurragh! Only one more race and then we are into the spring league.

More NIMRA than IMRA, but anyone else doing the Mournes Skyline MTR?

Signed up yesterday. Should be fun.

http://www.mourneskylinemtr.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Looking forward to my first IMRA outing on Saturday at Brockagh.

Very enjoyable race this morning. Very well organised. A full blown gale on the top of Brokagh mountain made it interesting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It was great fun up there in the wind, running at an angle leaning into it while being beat by driving rain that was like needles. Invigorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Anybody know when the registration opens for the Wicklow Way solo?

WW Solo opens April 12th.

imra.ie/forum/topic/id/3926

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

Just signed up for the solo, really excited about this one.

Anyone else signed up yet ?

Looking good for the Bray race this evening, couldn't have better conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

grahamor wrote: »
    Just signed up for the solo, really excited about this one.

Anyone else signed up yet ?

It's been floating around the top of my bucket list for awhile but decided to leave it till next year. Will be helping out this year so looking forward to getting a feel for it.

A great turn out last night in Bray for the first round of the Leinster League. A great race in perfect conditions. Only one gripe, if the race instructions say you have to touch the cross at the top, then you have to touch the cross or you're not following the correct route. Most people did not do it.

Most people, I think, didn't carry a jacket or hat/buff either, and I'm not talking about those with them stuffed down their jocks, in various pockets etc. Not touching the cross I don't think is a biggie really in comparison, you're not really avoiding the route, just not putting your arm out in most cases.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Most people, I think, didn't carry a jacket or hat/buff either, and I'm not talking about those with them stuffed down their jocks, in various pockets etc. Not touching the cross I don't think is a biggie really in comparison, you're not really avoiding the route, just not putting your arm out in most cases.

Yes, a lot of people didn't bother with the jacket. Either enforce the rule and check people finish with a coat or don't .

Although I took note of some people's idea to wear a cycling jersey which conveniently can store a small jacket :)

Definitely two guys behind me took advantage of the fact I took the extra steps to touch the cross. Anyways, I'm not a competitor so I won't lose sleep over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Yes, a lot of people didn't bother with the jacket. Either enforce the rule and check people finish with a coat or don't .

Although I took note of some people's idea to wear a cycling jersey which conveniently can store a small jacket :)

Definitely two guys behind me took advantage of the fact I took the extra steps to touch the cross. Anyways, I'm not a competitor so I won't lose sleep over it!

Competitor or not, rules should be followed for everyone. There was quite a big fuss over the jacket and hat rule at the start of the year so it should be enforced. You could make a very strong argument that they are definitely not required on a short race like Bray on a beautiful, sunny evening, but unless it's stated beforehand, then it's a rule and should be enforced. Of course it all has to be balanced with the volunteer nature of the organisation and the tension that enforcing a rule like that will cause.
    To me it seems like an overly fussy diktat that would work fine for longer winter races with smaller participant numbers.

I can see the reasoning behind it in fairness, people have had to go back over the route with jackets from the finish to injured runners in places like Ticknock in the middle of the summer.

It's just how to enforce it. I did overhear people say they weren't aware of the rule, not really an excuse maybe, and I'm sure there's others that flagrantly ignore it.

Maybe a bit of leeway can be given for the first race, and then get strict on it from here on out.

Agreed.

It's the first race of the Leinster league, huge numbers of first registrations etc as always at Bray.

I'm sure it'll be enforced at future races.

It's a good rule in that it takes the responsibility of making a call on jackets away from the volunteers.

Re last night. It was pretty cold by the time the last runner came in. So while it was beautiful at the start, if you're stuck up there in a singlet, it quickly becomes a dangerous situation.

There's been helicopter rescues on Bray in the past during the summer months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

ThisRegard wrote: »

It seemed to me that the majority were carrying a jacket - I was having a good look around to spot people who weren't, but didnt see too many. Stuffsacs, bumbags etc containing a small jacket may not be so obvious, especially if they're under tshirts. I had a thin jacket squished in to a SpiBelt and had thought it would ruin my race, bouncing around, but it didnt bother me at all. Also I don't think a hat is a requirement, hence nobody wearing one on a night like last night:

https://www.imra.ie/news/view/id/576/

"Additional kit may be required for some of the longer races" - I dont think that was the case last night.

I thought it was a really great route and another fun IMRA event.

Advertisement