Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

is Aldo trying to get himself fired?

• 21-07-2015 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

certainly seems like it. first there's the dodgy testing episodes, then dissing the reebok deal, then he comes out and basically says feck the ufc ban i'm gonna IV rehydrate in the next fight. and now there's a rumour he's looking to sue UFC for defamation about all the injury stuff.

bizarre carry on. does he not want to put manners on conor and pick up 5 or so mill on the way??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

froog wrote: »
    certainly seems like it. first there's the dodgy testing episodes, then dissing the reebok deal, then he comes out and basically says feck the ufc ban i'm gonna IV rehydrate in the next fight. and now there's a rumour he's looking to sue UFC for defamation about all the injury stuff.

bizarre carry on. does he not want to put manners on conor and pick up 5 or so mill on the way??

He wants to join Bellator :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dancingchicken

Aldo seems to care more about MMA than he does about UFC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

In fairness, the UFC have massively thrown him under the bus with this rib injury. He was clearly injured. It was massively unfortunate, don't get me wrong. I went to ufc 189 and nobody was more gutted than me, but if he has a broken rib then he has a broken rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I can't see him coming back, anyone that stands up to ufc policies it suicide, think if he had learned English he would have done better fan wise.

UFC really ****ed him over on rib injury and no I don't think he's afraid of conor. Don't think anyone is anyone who kos Conor is huge scalp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Can you blame him for having a go at them? That Aldo fight makes everybody millions of dollars there is no way in hell they sack him for "speaking out" and he knows it. They threw him under the bus so now hes gone rogue, and it is pretty funny! The IV thing just strikes me as him saying pretty colourfully that it is a pile of rubbish and dangerous. Does anyone actually disagree with anything he says? That press conference was really good and he spoke a lot of sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭creeper1

Does the ufc have any credible rival?

I know approximately 10 years ago pride was a well respected organisation with a big following (mainly Japanese)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Aldo mcgreggor will happen mark my words

This changes nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I don't know why so many people are giving such benefit of doubt to Aldo, he's had a lot of sketchy behavior lately and its all too much smoke for one person.
    • Pulling out of UFC 189
    • Sending out X-Rays of an old injury
    • Dropping out of 4 previous title fights
    • The drug testing fiasco
    • Openly taunting the UFC and USADA by saying he will purposely ignore the new drug testing laws and use IVs anyway
    • Calling Irish people drunks
    • Insulting the Reebok deal

If Aldo had his way, he'd be doing a Mayweather, picking and choosing who he gets to fight, picking the rules he wants to obey and ignore. As much faults as the UFC has, its 100x better than how boxing is run. Boxing is on a downward spiral because of this while MMA is on the way up because of the UFC. UFC is a necessary evil for MMA.

Aldo constantly tries to undermine the UFC. If Aldo was anybody else, he'd be told to kick rocks by now. Him saying he's going to use IVs no matter what is the height of obnoxiousness. I agree the rule is silly as fighters should be allowed to re-hydrate as safely as possible but he's basically saying he's going to cheat and gain an unfair advantage over the opponents who are following the rules as he knows the UFC are not going to cancel the fight as there is too much money riding on it.

Could you imagine Lionel Messi saying he's going to ignore FIFA's drug policy because what are they going to do stop him from playing as he makes too much money for FIFA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Hazys wrote: »
    I don't know why so many people are giving such benefit of doubt to Aldo, he's had a lot of sketchy behavior lately and its all too much smoke for one person.
    • Calling Irish people drunks

Don't disagree with most of your post but I wasn't bothered by the "drunks" stuff. It was less broadly insulting, in my opinion, than McGregor's jibes about favelas and what not. (I enjoy McGregor's banter mostly, that's about the only time I've really cringed for him.)

RGDATA! wrote: »
    Don't disagree with most of your post but I wasn't bothered by the "drunks" stuff. It was less broadly insulting, in my opinion, than McGregor's jibes about favelas and what not. (I enjoy McGregor's banter mostly, that's about the only time I've really cringed for him.)

I wasn't bothered by it either and i presume most Irish people were not as 1. Irish people don't get offended that easily 2. we know its true lol

But it was pretty racist and totally uncalled for. There was no need for him to have that in his statement. We all have things we want to say but we bite our tongue because we are better than that. It was a classless thing to say and he went down in my book for saying it.

TBF Conor never mocked or insulted Brazilians, he was pretty complementary of them. I don't recall him every insulting favelas either. Conor did call Siver a Nazi but deleted the tweet and apologized straight after.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

dulux99 wrote:
    In fairness, the UFC have massively thrown him under the bus with this rib injury. He was clearly injured. It was massively unfortunate, don't get me wrong. I went to ufc 189 and nobody was more gutted than me, but if he has a broken rib then he has a broken rib.

IF!

I'm sure Dana knows more than you and I doubt he'd be so open knocking aldo of there wasn't something to it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Aldos statement.

If he beats Chad Mendes,
    the only thing he will have is a toy belt to show his drunk friends in his country’s bars,
    because that’s what an interim belt represents to me: a toy.
    I am the champion.

Did he call all Irish drunks or just McGregors friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

selous wrote: »
    Aldos statement.

If he beats Chad Mendes,
    the only thing he will have is a toy belt to show his drunk friends in his country’s bars,
    because that’s what an interim belt represents to me: a toy.
    I am the champion.

Did he call all Irish drunks or just McGregors friends?

I doubt he knows who McGregor's friends are and what their drinking habits are so if he is talking about McGregor's friends he's insinuating they are drunks based on their nationality anyway.

Anyway, its was a minor point I was making, no need for the whole thread to get derailed because of it.

darced wrote: »

But what is Aldo doing for the good of the fighters? All I see is Aldo doing what is good for Aldo.

How is Aldo ignoring the USADA's ban on IV doing good for other fighters? If anything it sets a horrible example for other fighters. The USADA brought in the rule to try and prevent fighters from making ridiculous weight cuts, a valiant effort but as long a fighter can make weight, they will take the chance that the will re-hydrate properly after so if anything its a dangerous rule, but it is still a rule that you have to follow for a level playing field.

Aldo said he's going to use IVs because he wants to and they can't catch him and if they do, what are they going to do? Stop him from fighting? He's not making that statement for anybody but himself. Any lesser fighter who tries this will be kicked off the roster, how is this helping other fighters?

A bigger problem is Aldo's influence. If fighters are going to believe that Aldo is going to break the rules, then they think they have too as they have no idea now whether their opponent is going to or not. So they are stuck between a rock and a hard place; follow the rules and hope you opponent does too? If Aldo is not taking the USADA seriously, why should other fighters?

If Aldo is willing to defy the USADA's IV ban, then what other USADA rules is he willing to defy?

Aldo's comments are a huge knock on keeping the sport clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dulux99 wrote: »

Still convinced it was a cover for failing the drugs test and he was fighting Mendes all this time , they figured that they would sell 2 fights if the Aldo one was hyped and then
    Switched

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Aldo’s comments about IVs do nothing to discourage the shady rumours about him, PEDs, and test dodging in the past. He’s barking up the wrong tree with USADA, if he follows through with his big talk then it’ll be great when he’s caught and his big payday is withheld. He’s signing up to fight under agreed rules, if he doesn’t like it then he can stay back in Brazil.

The one thing that highlights the type of person Aldo is is how often he’s brought up how much he lost by not making 189 compared to mentioning letting his fans down who’d paid to travel to Vegas (one of which was sitting beside me there). Everything is always someone else’s fault and he cares only about himself.

We won’t know given how his team did all they could to delay a drug test for over two days

• Advertisement

nc19 wrote: »
    IF!

I'm sure Dana knows more than you and I doubt he'd be so open knocking aldo of there wasn't something to it.....

Naive post of the year award goes to...:pac:

His IV comments are just what most fighters are thinking, they're just too scared of the UFC to say it publicly. There is a reason why they post-poned the IV ban. Conor probably has the same opinion on the ban but hes the good company man at the moment.

The drunk friends comment is funny because it is true. We pride ourselves on being these great loud singing fans...we are great loud singing fans because we are drunk as hell during weigh ins/Q&A's and events. Can't get bent out of shape over it. Especially as a Conor fan it makes you a serious hypocrite considering the stuff he says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I thought all that stuff about drunk Irish was a hoax interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I thought all that stuff about drunk Irish was a hoax interview?

Rumours that he’s dodged drug tests through some of the 5 ‘injuries’ in 8 fights in his UFC tenure.

Difference between stating your opinion that you disagree with the rules and coming out and saying that you don’t care about them, you will break them and there’s nothing they can do about it.

Unfortunately for him there’s a lot they can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Aldo’s comments about IVs do nothing to discourage the shady rumours about him, PEDs, and test dodging in the past. He’s barking up the wrong tree with USADA, if he follows through with his big talk then it’ll be great when he’s caught and his big payday is withheld. He’s signing up to fight under agreed rules, if he doesn’t like it then he can stay back in Brazil.

The one thing that highlights the type of person Aldo is is how often he’s brought up how much he lost by not making 189 compared to mentioning letting his fans down who’d paid to travel to Vegas (one of which was sitting beside me there). Everything is always someone else’s fault and he cares only about himself.

He didn't sign up to a iv ban, and he has stayed in brasil since they madde it a rule....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Davei141 wrote:
    Naive post of the year award goes to...

Misunderstood post of the year goes to....

My post was in reference to his 'injury' not the IV issue

Thanks for your input though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

https://mobile.twitter.com/StitchDuran/status/623636360746827776

this posted on twitter a while ago. stitch duran ufcs redident cutman, fired for speaking out about reebok deal. surely this means aldo will be placed in the same boat? although im not sure what exactly duran has said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Old Perry wrote: »

this posted on twitter a while ago. stitch duran ufcs redident cutman, fired for speaking out about reebok deal. surely this means aldo will be placed in the same boat? although im not sure what exactly duran has said.

Doubtful the UFC will put a cutman and their FW Champ in the same boat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Old Perry wrote: »

he spoke out about how much money he lost in the rebok deal as rebok aint sponsoring him, his jacket used to be covered in sponsers logos.

And no aldo is definitely not in the same boat ffs. One is the undefeated champ and the other is a cutman ffs

Advertisement