Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runners ruin serenity

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1.jpg.jpg

As for running versus serenity, I'm issuing a restraining order. Running must stay 500 yards from serenity at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

We all share the mountains. No one owns them. The article was a bit pointless in my view. Best for him to stick to unsarcastic factual writing I think.

I ran the IMRA Croagh Patrick race last week and I've done so many times. Last weeks race had 56 participants. The route has changed in recent years. We used to go up and down the pilgrim path but coming down that stretch with the crowds of walkers, both ascending and descending, was becoming more perilous and the route is becoming more eroded from years of traverses. The IMRA race now descends off the far side of the summit and takes a less travelled route down towards Lecanvey. Its a great event. The record time on the old route starting and finishing at Campbells pub is an incredible sub 43 mins by the mighty John Brooks, one of John Lenihan's great rivals over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

Think I'll run up it this Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

Is there anything to be said for saying another mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I see God stepped in to voice his disapproval in a If they can't have it then neither can you kinda way by sending weather over so that Reek Sunday is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I see God stepped in to voice his disapproval in a If they can't have it then neither can you kinda way by sending weather over so that Reek Sunday is cancelled.

Yet still some fervents felt a sacrificial child at the summit was in order.
    A THREE YEAR old was among at least eight people who were treated for hypothermia after climbing Croagh Patrick yesterday – despite warnings not to do so because of adverse weather conditions.

http://www.thejournal.ie/croagh-patrick-hypothermia-2237366-Jul2015/?utm_content=buffer07a6e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

What a bunch of idiots.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

^ Darwin award territory, right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

AKW wrote: »

Not to mention the couple with the 12 week old baby who were warned directly and went up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I don't think that mountain is suitable for anyone under 12 on a good day, never mind yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

chrislad wrote: »
    Not to mention the couple with the 12 week old baby who were warned directly and went up anyway.

maybe they think god will protect them?
    Can't see any other reason why you'd think its ok to walk up a mountain during a yellow alert weather warning?

I have to ask though, shouldn't the HSE/Gardai bring charges against the child's parents for willful endangerment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Cabaal wrote: »
    Can't see any other reason why you'd think its ok to walk up a mountain during a yellow alert weather warning?

I have to ask though, shouldn't the HSE/Gardai bring charges against the child's parents for willful endangerment?

They took the child up on the Saturday, when the weather was fine. They went up and down without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

In a just and fair society they would be brought to book for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

They really should be, as should the parents of the child who got hypothermia.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

No, irony is that Croak Partick was a pre christian fertility pilgrimage, so all those christians are effectively walking up a giant phallus. Maybe that's why they enjoy it so much.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

^ Darwin award territory, right there.

...i'll allow it.

Advertisement