Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Comments

• Knex. wrote: »
    Man, Mendes is hard not to like.

I wonder how big of a payday he will get for stepping in at short notice. Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Thats exactly what Conor said on embedded, that he would "gas". I can't see it happening, he didn't gas against Aldo in the 2nd fight, in fact Mendes was the one putting all the pressure on, it was Aldo that was looking for breathers.We have never seen Conor put under serious pressuse so whos to know he won't "gas"? think the only way it'll go to the ground is if Conor tries his big mad spinning back heel kicks. Mendes isnt the one dimensional wrestler people are making out. I think it'll be decided on weather Conor can keep him at length for the whole fight. It's going to be some battle, I can't see it being easy for either of them.

Mendes has had I think 7 kos to 2 submissions I think, I don't think people think he is just a wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Davei141 wrote: »
    UFC released episode 3 again edited out the part with Mendes saying Conor can be funny and just needs to chill.

Really? I just watched it for the first time so missed out on that. Was there much in the initial episode or just a throwaway comment from Chad?

That certainly won't go unnoticed so it's pointless that they'd even re-upload it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

I wonder how big of a payday he will get for stepping in at short notice. Does anyone know?

A lot! :)

But Dana must have had him primed months ago with Aldo's record of dropping out of 5 previous fights.

• A lot! :)

But Dana must have had him primed months ago with Aldo's record of dropping out of 5 previous fights.

How many ppvs you think it will sell? Conor thought 1m with Aldo which I doubted but now that he is fighting Mendes for interm I'd say around 600k mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Lads, 8 mins to the PPV, (I think it starts at 3am yeah?), I am going Aldo by KO. What's your predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Lads, 8 mins to the PPV, (I think it starts at 3am yeah?), I am going Aldo by KO. What's your predictions?

Wha??

Lol, might just be me and my interpretation of it but from reading this it looks like you were saying that the fight is on tonight!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Paully D wrote: »
    Really? I just watched it for the first time so missed out on that. Was there much in the initial episode or just a throwaway comment from Chad?

That certainly won't go unnoticed so it's pointless that they'd even re-upload it.

http://streamable.com/s92a This is the unedited one, you can see the parts at the end, they get rid of Mendes laughing at the gynecologist joke on conan and him talking near the end. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

that was a great card tbf. who could have predicted a draw though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Mendes will gas? Did people see the Aldo fight, crazy intensity and he still had something left in the 5th.

• Advertisement

Mendes will gas? Did people see the Aldo fight, crazy intensity and he still had something left in the 5th.

That was a great fight

Although I know Mendes has been obviously keeping fit, just how fit is the question.

That was a great fight

Although I know Mendes has been obviously keeping fit, just how fit is the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Can't believe people questioning Mendes cardio. It's conor that's not been a 5 round war yet. All conors fight have been quick with out any real resistance from who he was fighting he went distance with Holloway with injured acl but conor decided where the fight went.

Seen a Mendes interview where he belives conor will quit if pressure put on him and he Said conor not faced anyone with confidence that Chad has.

I starting to think Mendes might have the answer for conor bull rush him for the whole fight, don't let conor get comfortable keep going for takedowns just constant pressure.

If Chad decides to make mistakes everyone else conor fought and try stand with him. It's conors fight to win.

I expecting same game plan chael used against Anderson

dave1982 wrote: »
    Can't believe people questioning Mendes cardio. It's conor that's not been a 5 round war yet. All conors fight have been quick with out any real resistance from who he was fighting he went distance with Holloway with injured acl but conor decided where the fight went.

Seen a Mendes interview where he belives conor will quit if pressure put on him and he Said conor not faced anyone with confidence that Chad has.

I starting to think Mendes might have the answer for conor bull rush him for the whole fight, don't let conor get comfortable keep going for takedowns just constant pressure.

If Chad decides to make mistakes everyone else conor fought and try stand with him. It's conors fight to win.

You're making very good points

Christ its hard to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,002 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Testosterone and EPO?

That's interesting. In Conors mind he'll never be put in trouble, and he hasn't so far in his UFC career, so it'll be interesting to see how he reacts if Mendes takes him down and gives him a bit of a pounding. He'll of course have a plan prepared if something like that happens but he's never actually been in that position in the UFC so it should be interesting. You'd expect him to be put on his back at least once as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Glade87 wrote: »
    Interim title??? Really? I feel they should have made the Diaz fight... Mendes is a boring fighter and he has clearly stated his intentions... Put McGregor on his back (which he will succeed in doing) and keep him there... FOR 5 ROUNDS.

I want Mcgregor to win but this fight is a stupid risk, he got the title shot, it should have been put in the bank... because let's say Diaz beat McGregor... his title shot is still in the bank. Let's say Mendes puts on the most boring display ever seen and pins McGregor for the whole fight... suddenly McGregor is at the back of the queue.

It's a stupid risk considering Dana White will be redder than a tomato should this occur. I want McGregor to do well but if I'm being honest, I think Mendes is a terrible match up for him at such short notice... Mendes is no joke... BORING but no joke.

McGregor is a young guy, it's seems people forget this, sometimes you have to learn things the hard way. I think it's great what he's done... real talent... but experienced against top level guys??? NO

Mendes is.

Where are these people coming out of.

Since Mendes first loss to Aldo he's had 5 finishes, one decision win and one loss in a fight of the year vs Aldo again.

You must not understand the meaning of boring or just read somewhere that wrestlers are boring and have never seen a Mendes fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

mdwexford wrote: »
    Where are these people coming out of.

Since Mendes first loss to Aldo he's had 5 finishes, one decision win and one loss in a fight of the year vs Aldo again.

You must not understand the meaning of boring or just read somewhere that wrestlers are boring and have never seen a Mendes fight.

I'd say that is the extent of it sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Yeah I honestly thing anyone who says something like "Conor will do this easily" or "Mendes will run through him" are talking poo. Mendes is insanely talented and Conor has the potential maybe to be the champion but he is untested really at this level. He might come in against Mendes and knock him out or He might get submitted, no one really knows how good Conors takedown defense/ wrestling is at the minute and how it will fare against Mendes.

I honestly think anyone who says one particular person in this fight will definitely win is wrong, this fight is wide open. Anyone can win imo

I think that's what makes this such an exciting fight, the unknown factor when it comes to McGregor, the truth is we don't really know if he is at the elite level but now we get to find out.

Think this fight needs to be a four or five round war round for that belt to have any shred of legitimacy.

• bur wrote: »
    I think that's what makes this such an exciting fight, the unknown factor when it comes to McGregor, the truth is we don't really know if he is at the elite level but now we get to find out.

Think this fight needs to be a four or five round war round for that belt to have any shred of legitimacy.

In fairness to Conor 'if' and its a big 'if' he goes in and dominates Mendes he deserves the belt. He can only beat what is in front of him and he will have done that, he was there to fight on July 11th... Aldo wasn't. Aldo after pulling out of a lot of fights but he is still fairly active compared to most champions. Pulling out of 5 of the last 8 fights makes it hard for the UFC promotionally speaking because the UFC can't really pour money into promoting his fights if there is such a high chance he wont make the fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

If aldo has a habit of pulling out week before surely he should have been stripped and made to wait he's turn again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

smilerf wrote: »
    If aldo has a habit of pulling out week before surely he should have been stripped and made to wait he's turn again

Depends on how the ufc see it, as a habit of pulling out or as misfortune to become injured.

How regular do we think McGs kicks will be considering he's facing an elite wrestler? I'd imagine Mendes is just waiting for a kick to shoot in so I hope Conor eases up on them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Beersmith

How regular do we think McGs kicks will be considering he's facing an elite wrestler? I'd imagine Mendes is just waiting for a kick to shoot in so I hope Conor eases up on them a bit.

Conors kicks dont seem to be the typical leg kicks giving the opponent a chance to take the damage while going in for the TD. Conor throws a lot of push off kicks and also kicks to head which make the opponent go backwards and not a chance to shoot.

Id agree with what others have posted before, conor uses a lot of kicks nearly as much as a distraction rhythm breaker and then beats them with punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

Mendes will destroy mcgregor

Question is what next after he is found out ? He's only fought bums before this so after this upcoming loss he has no right to a title fight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

i love the way theres people who come on this thread just to talk **** about mcgregor to get a reaction out of people!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

SSLguru wrote: »

Question is what next after he is found out ? He's only fought bums before this so after this upcoming loss he has no right to a title fight

You can go and troll somewhere else thanks.
    Don't post in this thread again.

• Advertisement

• SSLguru wrote: »

Holloway and Poirier are far from bums to be fair :rolleyes:

Advertisement