Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

• 03-07-2015 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ok so thanks to yet another train wreck of a thread, we've had to open a new one. I'm sure we all don't want to get bogged down in the same old rubbish again so I think we should set some ground rules before we go any further.

Anyone deemed to be trolling, flaming, baiting, or involved in any other muppetry will simply be banned from the thread.

Anyone directing any type of abuse towards other posters or towards fighters will be thread banned.

Fanboys and bandwagoners.
    Enough is enough. Someone is entitled to like a fighter and to express that opinion without being labelled a fanboy. Likewise, we were all new to mma at one time so instead of dismissing a new persons comments, why not try to educate them on the sport (in a polite way). Have a discussion, get involved, and make the forum an enjoyable place to post.

Backing up what you say.
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but if you make any claims on a fighters skills or abilities etc, then at least try to justify why you believe so.
    If you post rubbish and don't back it up then you can expect to be called out on it. On that note, if you call anyone out on a nonsense post, do not abuse them or enter into an argument on thread. If it drags on and derails the thread, take it to PM.

General forum and site wide rules also apply. Don't be a dick. If you disagree with someone, lay off the passive aggressive posts; the last thread was riddled with them. Just put each other on ignore if you can't post civilly.

Ok that's enough of the mod hat for one evening. Back to the event.....
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Will Conor resist throwing kicks to ensure he is able to sidestep a takedown or sprawl?

Rory needs to improve his standup if he wants to win the belt, his striking looked laboured in some of his fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ireland888

McGregor 3rd round TKO stoppage.

Will be put on his back early and his defensive guard will impress. Needs to watch the fake double leg to an uppercut that Mendes has really perfected. Especially since wrestling is the only area Mendes has an advantage so Conor will be looking to defend it and may be caught off guard- Aldo and Lamas were, but Aldo at least was able to stay in the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Is it worth calling Paddy Power and asking them for odds on how many times ElGuapo has to close the thread and start a new one?

I reckon Conor takes it within 3 rds by TKO, the same will happen as all his other fights, Mendes will get hit, realise how hard Conor hits then spend the rest of his conscious time avoiding another punch

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

First time poster here, but can some please explain this interm title thing. Is this just the winner has a garanteed fight against Aldo when he recovers for the actual title. What if he gets injured again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 welchywelch

Relatively new to UFC, have watched it maybe 10 times before so I have never heard of Chad Mendes until last week. I see alot of people here saying how good a wrestler he is and basically write of his ability on his feet because of short reach. I've watched a few of his fights and I noticed very little wrestling, particulary in the 2nd Aldo fight, it was practically a kickboxing match. His uppercuts look very powerful and he seemed to kick alot which people say he doesn't do. I reckon if he shakes Connor at all he could actually KO him. Would I be stupid to put money on Mendes by TKO?

Edit: Can someone tell me the price for that as I can't find Mendes by Tko in the fight section on Paddys site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

scudzilla wrote: »
    Is it worth calling Paddy Power and asking them for odds on how many times ElGuapo has to close the thread and start a new one?

No. El Guapo has a history of being bought off;). Hes already on time and a half to moderate this till the 12th.:pac:

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    First time poster here, but can some please explain this interm title thing. Is this just the winner has a garanteed fight against Aldo when he recovers for the actual title. What if he gets injured again.

Yep, the interim holder's next fight will be against the champion, in this case Aldo.
    If Aldo gets 'injured' again then who knows, sure if it's Conor he will fight at 155 to keep himself busy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I really really hope Conor wins I admire him so much but Chad Mendes may have had smaller numbers but he has fought quality Aldo twice, Clay Guida is an animal and Mendes worked him out. Mendes is an intelligent fighter he reads people and I'm afraid that Conor will miss kick as he is liable to do and Mendes will be in there like white on rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eCABYUBKOlI

Sorry can't embed on phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fire up a public poll Guapo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Edit: Can someone tell me the price for that as I can't find Mendes by Tko in the fight section on Paddys site.

Paddy Power are the best price on Mendes KO/TKO at 9/2. Everywhere else 4/1:

http://www.oddschecker.com/ufc-mma/chad-mendes-v-conor-mcgregor/method-of-victory

Paully D wrote:
    Paddy Power are the best price on Mendes KO/TKO at 9/2. Everywhere else 4/1:

Thank you. I'm going to throw a few quid on that. I hope I lose it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Conrad McGillicudy is a fraud and a con I tells ya.

Nobody out-wrestles Brad "Cash" Mendoza!!

NOBODY!!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

oh id thank that twice if i could! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote:

Thanks. I was expecting to see a guy who constantly tries to get a take down but from the fights I saw, he looks like an animal on his feet, if he can get in close enough. He wobbled aldo 3 or 4 times. Agree too, Connor doesn't look like a hard hitter, but obviously he must be. I think it was the fight before the siver one,where he dropped your man with what looked like a grazing blow to the back of the ear. I actually couldn't believe it hurt him. Has Connor ever been on the ground for long? I've only seen 2 of his fights and I don't remember him being on his back at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

darced wrote: »
    He hasn't in the Ufc but got finished quickly on the ground early in his career when he was very green,he is a different fighter now though.

fecking dying for this , god its taking ages

hurry up

hope conor steam rolls him and shuts up the whole team alphamale team inc urijah " jimmy hill " faber

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

right Ffs i feel like a bollix. have been checkin my follwed threads since the last was closed waitin for it to open back up :-[

So, if mcgregor loses will it be all that bad. people saying dana will be annoyed. but surely either way conor sucks it up and his story/hype continues and also aldo v mendes 3 would be equally as big?

also, questions about the title fight being staged in brazil, i dont get the hate for this, if aldo really is retiring ( and ufc may know this) then surely aldo deserves this given the fighter that he is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Should be an excellent fight. Mendes has the most one punch power at FW but overall Conor is possibly the best striker in the div. Chad will stalk him down in the hope of an opening but Conor won't back off like Lamas did. Both guys are willing to get hit in order to land the big shot which makes things interesting, maybe that will change considering both guys have so much KO power. Conors range gives an advantage but Chads wrestling will give him hope if his standup is lacking. Full camp I'd give the edge to Mendes but here its a toss up. Head is still telling me Mendes but Im really rooting for Conor here.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

I'm predicting a McGregor W here. The range is something Chad will find unbearable ( 8 inches i think - thats significant). I don't believe Conor will give him enough room to wind up that big right hand of his first of all. I think Mendes will get overwhelmed due to constant pressure and forward movement and get cracked. Look at the 2nd Aldo fight he got wobbled on a few occasions but Jose couldn't put it to bed, the difference is Conor has more power and does seem to be that more clinical from what i have seen of him. I believe it will go to the ground for a period but i just think Conor will ride out that storm. People seem to think he has no grappling ability whatsoever. I think he might surprise a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

darced wrote: »
    I'd say you have a chance,Mendes is probably the hardest puncher in the division as he puts everything in to his punches unlike Conor who while he probably can hit as hard seems to just overwhelm opponents these days.
    You are right his leg kicks looked heavy and that fake takedown to uppercut could catch Conor out.

I've read this 5 times and still think it makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Will Conor resist throwing kicks to ensure he is able to sidestep a takedown or sprawl?

I was looking through Mendes' fights to see if he had fought any southpaws/decent strikers.

Only southpaw I could find was Erich Koch. He had some good success in the striking, particularly left high kicks. He burst Mendes' face open with one near the end of the fight, he was bleeding very heavy.

Mendes did win the fight and this was five years ago but I found it interesting all the same.

Aldo had brought in southpaw kickboxers from Holland, southpaw pro boxers from Cuba, southpaw Jonas Billiardinho. So Aldo obviously saw it as a big threat and something to prepare thoroughly for. Mendes has had no such preparation, so it'll be interesting to see how he deals with McGregor's opposite stance and high kicks without having had the chance to prepare for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Im actually looking forward to this more than the Aldo vs Mcgregor for several reasons... This will be a really good test for everyone to see what Conor is really made of, He's got a great opponent in Mendes

I've no doubt it will be an entertaining bout to say the least!

JustTheOne wrote:
    I've read this 5 times and still think it makes no sense.

Why not? It's fairly simple to understand what he said.

pone2012 wrote: »
    Im actually looking forward to this more than the Aldo vs Mcgregor for several reasons... This will be a really good test for everyone to see what Conor is really made of, He's got a great opponent in Mendes

I've no doubt it will be an entertaining bout to say the least!

yeah aldo wouldn't have been a good test for conor alright.

Why not? It's fairly simple to understand what he said.

Mendes is the hardest hitter in the division. Conor hits as hard but only overwhelms his opponents

This is the bit I can't make sense of.

JustTheOne wrote:
    Mendes is the hardest hitter in the division. Conor hits as hard but only overwhelms his opponents

I assume he ment the amount of accurate punches thrown where as mendes just hits big powerful shots.

• Advertisement

It's difficult to judge who has a harder punch unless you're on the receiving end of a few anyway. It's all about connection/accuracy. A fairly weak puch on the chin could put you asleep, a haymaker to the jaw might not budge you.

Advertisement