Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out

• 21-06-2011 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi all i have not been fishing since i was around 13-14 and i'm thinking about taking it up now . I'd like to try river, lakes or even fly but i'm not sure what i need to start out with or even where to go to find out. Could someone please tell me where i can get the information i need thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

If you want to try fly fishing first thing you need is a fly rod.
    I would say a good all around rod would be something around the 10` mark with a casting weight of 6/7.
    In my opinion a cheep first rod would be better, something like a Shakespeare Odyssey fly.
    If your unsure ask any good fishing tackle dealer to help you out.
    Stick to a budget. You should get started with a fly rod and line for about 50 euro.
    learning how to cast the rod and line comes next.
    When i was learning to cast a friend of mine spent about a half an hour with me showing me the basics. The rest i learned myself through trial and error over a couple of days.
    If you don't know anyone who fly fishes you could pay for 1 or 2 lessons.
    There is also plenty of fly casting videos on you tube.
    Practice in a wide open space, your garden or field.
    When you master casting the fly it is probably better to fish in a stocked
    lake before you move onto river fishing. Just until you catch your first couple of fish.
    When you start to catch fish the best advice i could give would be, join a club.
    You will pick up lots of advice and tips from other Angeles.

Advertisement