Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pentax K5 back in Conns Cameras -Great Camera, competative price...

• 07-05-2011 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

As a long time Pentax user (ME Super SLR from 1984) I have enough invested in lenses etc. that will tend to stay loyal to Pentax DSLRs even though they may be lower performing/more expensive. I value their relatively affordable lenses and their smallish designs match my preferences. In 2004 I invested in my fir DSLR a Pentax *ist DS and while affordable , compact and capable of great pics the autofocus was much poorer than the competing Nikon or Canon cameras. The K7 seemed good but the autofocus while improved, was still not at the level of the competition. Moreover the K7 high sensitivity mode was noisier than the best of the rest. So imagine my delight when the K5 was announced and tested right up there with the Nikon D7000 and Canon D550.
    Even better, I learned that after a few years hiatus Conns Cameras had taken on a Pentax DSLR dealership are were stocking the K5 again. I wanted the more expensive 18-135mm Kit zoom (very mixed on-line reviews but in my opinion great contrast, colour and center sharpness up to my venerable SMC PENTAX M50 f/1.7). This kit is available in all the main UK dealers for about £1400 PLUS €20-30 shipping and I seriously considered buying that way. So I dropped into Conns (I am an occasional customer over the years, but have found them helpful and ready to "do a deal") explained the price available to me in the UK (about €1,700 landed), bearing in mind Irish VAT adds 1.5% and they got to within a few percent of that. Allowing for the convenience of buying complex tech locally and Conns consistently good after sales service (in my experience), I think that is a good deal, and would commend them to other would be Pentax K5 buyers.

I am really enjoying my K5 and can say that having a speedy autofocus in low light is a wonderful thing :) Though the artifical horizon is miss adjusted a few degrees (must bring back into Conns for adjustment...)

PS I have no connection of any kind with Conns.

Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

MPD wrote: »
    PS I have no connection of any kind with Conns
    what about pentax though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

MPD wrote: »
    PS I have no connection of any kind with Conns.

Mark

MmmHmmmmm.
    Your post seems awful like schilly spam to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MPD

No connection to Pentax either!

I would be the first to admit that Pentax have their flaws - too small a company , limited lens range, uncertain future. For a new person starting out Canon or Nikon are a better bet.

But many people , like myself, have a collection of Pentax lenses dating back years so it is not a so simple decision to quit Pentax. Finally in the K5, Pentax offer a camera which matches the performance of Nikon and Canon equivalents.

I had seen posts before saying that it was impossible to buy Pentax at a competitive price in Ireland and wanted to point out my personal experience for fellow Pentax users. I wanted people to be aware that Conns website listed prices are much higher than they are willing to reach with a bit of haggling.:)

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Thanks for your post and it is helpful to know that you got a good deal in an Irish shop that has been slated so many times on Boards.ie.
    Regards,
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'm a Pentax shooter.. I had an ME Super years ago.. as well as a Canon Pellix QL (that I still have) but.. Canon cameras weren't backwards-compatible with the lenses I had for the Canon... and the bang-for-the-buck on a Pentax K10D at the time was much higher than anything in the Nikon or Canon range.. so that's what I bought. I've since moved to the K20D, and my next camera will probably be the K5.. unless they come out with something that has a larger sensor before I make that move. (or replace it in their lineup.)

I'm glad to see someone is actually dealing in Pentax here in Ireland! I've had to get stuff from the U.K., Czech Republic, or the U.S., and I'd rather deal with someone here in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

deadly......

good to have a local option.

Advertisement