Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

yourtel - Landline Phone Service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Jenna Sweet Shipyard

Any chance you could just explain what they say in all those links?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

NO :)

NO :)

Sorry Jenna Sweet Shipyard, a bit burnt out after all that Googling!

Copy the last link and drop in to google translate and you will get the jist of it.
    I would post the text only its translated and not that readable.
    As I said earlier, a human translation would be better.

The post in the last link is dated Jun 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Auld Jim Halpin. Repeatedly posting links adds nothing to the conversation.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    @Auld Jim Halpin. Repeatedly posting links adds nothing to the conversation.

I am not intending to add to the conversation by providing links.

I am intending to address the problem of the thread.

The conversation is secondary when you have a pile of debt collectors letters for a service you were tricked into signing up for.

I am intending to add to the conversation by providing information that feeds the conversation.

I assume your comment comes from you, having read the information in the links, then deciding the information is irrelavant to the conversation?

I assume the people that have an interest in the issue will read and take on board the information to be found in the links.

Would you prefer if I quote and reference the information into the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Auld Jim Halpin: You're here long enough to know not to discuss moderation in thread as it is disruptive to the discussion. You may discuss via PM or Feedback if you wish. Do not derail this thread any further, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

As someone mentioned earlier looks like these guys have added CPS ( carrier pre select ) to certain calls on your phone.
    If they have blocked outbound calls while you are debating the contract try this prefix in front of your call

So basically lift hand set
    Get dial tone
    Dial 13666 and the rest of your number IE 136660861234567
    This is the eircom over ride code, which should force the call over the eircom network.

Mod Note, this is not illegal or underhand , calls will be charged to you by Eircom, your are basically telling the local exchange that is the route you want your calls to take.

Hope it works, has been many years since I had dealing's with CPS

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MariaV

Hi Chef,

Top tip - thank you so much for the info. We need as many knacks as we can get to deal with this shower. Really appreciate your post.

slimjimmc - TBH I think you are quite hard on Auld Jim Halpin.

Unless you've had first hand experience of Yourtel you can't appreciate how underhand the tactics employed are.
    It is impossible to find sound advice from regulatory bodies and so boards.ie by its very nature is designed as a forum for users to exchange information on their chosen topics.

I don't see how the information contained in the post was disruptive to the discussion. The points raised would be very useful in approaching the problem that lead us to this thread.

Not meaning to detract from the purpose of this thread but we need to be able to post information that can be useful to anyone else affected by Yourtel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

MariaV - let me make it clear. You can discuss yourtel, within the rules of this forum. You do not question a moderators actions on thread. That is a rule of Boards. Instead you can use PM or the Feedback forum to raise those questions.

In other words, stick to the topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

ComReg being as useless as ever. Despite deciding multiple charges of non-compliance, no fine has been levied. No sanction. They have "accepted" an undertaking by YourTel to offer some customers their previously-denied right to cancel the contract.

Good news, though, if you signed up to YourTel on/after 13th June, you should shortly get a form that will let you exercise your right to cancel the contract (within 14 days of receiving the form); just as it should have been at the start (but YourTel denied your legal right in that regard).

YourTel broke the law, ComReg agreed (only after sustained pressure from consumer complaints; nothing pro-active going on here, don't worry!), YourTel agreed. The result? "Stick to the law from now on lads, OK? Thanks lads."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

cgarvey wrote: »
    ComReg being as useless as ever. Despite deciding multiple charges of non-compliance, no fine has been levied. No sanction. They have "accepted" an undertaking by YourTel to offer some customers their previously-denied right to cancel the contract.

Good news, though, if you signed up to YourTel on/after 13th June, you should shortly get a form that will let you exercise your right to cancel the contract (within 14 days of receiving the form); just as it should have been at the start (but YourTel denied your legal right in that regard).

YourTel broke the law, ComReg agreed (only after sustained pressure from consumer complaints; nothing pro-active going on here, don't worry!), YourTel agreed. The result? "Stick to the law from now on lads, OK? Thanks lads."

I don't think Yourtel got off that lightly?

From one of the links in your post
    4. Amongst Yourtel’s commitments are the following:

a. Yourtel will send to all of its customers who have entered an agreement
    with Yourtel since the coming in to force of the Consumer Information
    Regulations on 13 June 2014, a letter informing those customers of their
    right to cancel their contract with Yourtel. This shall happen no later than
    14 days from 23 January 2015, the date of signature of the Undertaking.

b. Yourtel’s letter shall include a cancellation form (in the form provided for
    at Schedule B Part 3 of the Consumer Information Regulations) and
    consumers shall be informed that the sending of a completed version of
    this form within 14 days (deemed to have commenced on the date on
    which a consumer receives the notification letter referred to at a. above)
    shall constitute the giving of notice of the exercise of a consumer's right
    to cancel. Yourtel shall be deemed to have been informed of the exercise
    of the right to cancel on the date on which a cancellation letter has been
    sent by a consumer.

c. In accordance with Regulation 17(2) of the Consumer Information
    Regulations, Yourtel will accept as a notice of cancellation any other
    unequivocal statement by a consumer to Yourtel setting out decision to
    cancel the contract where such statements are received within the notice
    period including but not limited to where such unequivocal statement can
    be made over the telephone to Yourtel to its customer service number.

d. In accordance with Regulation 19 of the Consumer Information
    Regulations, Yourtel will provide refunds to customers who exercise their
    right to cancel of the full amount paid by the customer
    and will provide
    details of customer cancellations and refunds provided to ComReg no
    later than 30 days from the sending of the letter referred to at a. above

The only problem is that some people will no doubt forget to reply in time and it will be interesting to see if we get any reports here of no letters being received or replies ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tigamber

This is of no help to my mother's case she is with them since April 2014. Rang ComReg again and they have said that her case will still be open and once there is any update they will contact her. She is getting so stressed over the whole thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Tigamber wrote: »
    This is of no help to my mother's case she is with them since April 2014. Rang ComReg again and they have said that her case will still be open and once there is any update they will contact her. She is getting so stressed over the whole thing!

Can she not just switch back to eircom and break her 'contract' with yourtel. I mean what are they going to do, take her to court?

emeldc wrote: »
    Can she not just switch back to eircom and break her 'contract' with yourtel. I mean what are they going to do, take her to court?

They will keep sending her the bills she is terrified if she doesn't pay them she will end up in court. She nearly cried when they told her they were sending a solicitors letter for bills she hadnt paid (they never came in post - any that did she paid straight away) she practically ran to the post office due to the fear. Have confirmation that she is out of contract in April 2016 with them.
    The whole thing frightens her more than anything. I think its the threat of anything legal being brought against her or someone knocking on the door demanding payment. I just wish there was a way to get her out of the contract and see the back of them and their bills coming to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanfheargrinn

Apologies MariaV for not getting back to you earlier, the censorship police got to me....
    You and Aul Jim Halpin seemed to get a hard time too.........

Anyhow as to your question about Eircom and the NDD, yes Eircom make money off it, about €5000 a pop to sell it to third parties that can then cold-call you.
    Now by default, they are catching elderly people, because they inevitably are in the house during the day because retired and that is when yourtel calls. And many people who are working no longer have landlines in the house.

First port of call for anyone here is to specify with Eircom that you want to be on the telemarketing opt out register for the NDD. I explained how to do this earlier - just search my posts.
    In fact people's landline numbers should automatically be opted out of the NDD in my opinion - all mobile phone numbers are - start lobbying your local politicians if you want this change to happen. After all, who wants to be on a list that cold-callers can access?!

Now as to Comreg - they are both useless and have a vested interest in keeping Yourtel in business in Ireland, because guess, what, they get licence fees from them!
    There is a Dail Committee of Public Accounts pdf from 17 Jan 2013 on the web in which there is a discussion on Comreg's accounts. In this Alex Chisholm, chairperson of Comreg presents to the Dail Committee. Alex states and I quote:

"Turning now to funding and operations, ComReg does not receive any funding from the State. We receive levy income from the electronic communications, postal and premium rate services industries we regulate. In addition, we receive licence fees and spectrum access fees from these firms/individuals using radio spectrum licenced under the Wireless Telegraphy Acts. Income in excess of our costs is treated as surplus and handed over to the Exchequer. Since the establishment of our organisation in 1997, we have already passed on over €820 million in surplus to the Exchequer.

ComReg has a staff of 107, comprised mainly of professionals such as engineers, accountants, legal staff, economists and analysts, who have the skills and qualifications needed to undertake economic regulation."

So hehehehehehe (apologies I am in fits of bitter laughter here), Comreg gets paid by Yourtel to have a licence for Carrier Pre-Select. All them peeples in Comreg gotta get paid you know......
    So now all of you know why Comreg has not investigated them properly at all. In fact I pointed out to Comreg before about the wrong cooling off period (in August and Nov 2014) and they are only coming out with that judgement today. WTF!!

And the other galling thing is that the State makes money off the poor affected people on here and their parents with the royalties passed back. It is bad enough taxpayers bailing out private banks and developers, investors, it is something else for the state and Comreg to make money off us as well along with a so-called company in Berlin.........

No, this is much bigger than Comreg now in my opinion. Parish pump politics at its best needs to be displayed here - contact the Dept of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources about Yourtel. Contact your local politician and councillors etc.
    The little people need to rise up and Yourtel needs to be shut down.

Tigamber - did you ask for the full recording of the voice recording where your mother unwittingly signed up? Refer to how to do this in an earlier post of mine.

As I have said previously regarding debt collection, these are only threats. The only person that has legal powers to demand you pay up is a sheriff. He is a court officer who will have a warrant to collect money and goods up to the value of the debt - after a court judgement. Anyone else does not have this power. A debt collector can turn up on your doorstep and demand you pay them money you owe to someone else, but you can tell them to go away and the debt collector would have no choice but to do so.

Yourtel have employed Crosskerrys of Merrion Square to issue demand letters with big red writing on them.

A judgement is required BEFORE any debt can be collected. The steps here are:
    1) Demand Letter
    2) Court action to secure judgement
    3) Judgement Issued
    4) POSSIBLY yourtel may engage sherriff to collect on foot of the judgement.

I don't believe that Yourtel have a snowballs chance in hell of getting a Court Judgement for the majority of people affected, so they issue threats (step 1) to get people to pay up.. Use my opinion if you wish, but I don't believe you will see a Step 2.
    So not a penny more, cancel contract and get back to another tel company is what I would do in your boat. After all how many little people here in the same situation?

As Enda Kenny said as he cavorted around Davos with Cheryl Sandberg and other big business aficionados, he wanted to make Ireland the 'best little country to do business'.
    Now, big business likes little, lax or no regulation and they sure as hell got it here with the telecommunications business and Comreg. The banks had it before and look where that got us....

Not to mind the Irish Data Commissioner's office either - another body that does not want to upset business. Refer to Max Schrems, founder of Europe v Facebook on privacy issues, where the Irish Data Commissioner rejected his case initially (Facebook Europe are headquartered in Ireland, so upsetting them would be a no-no), and he had to go to the High Court to appeal it.

Sorry for long-winded post.
    Rise up little people and wage a jihad against Yourtel!

I have the second call they made to her, she thought it was a survey she was completing from someone from Eircom she had no idea she was signing up to anything. The way he asked for the Eircom account number was asking her to clarify what he had. The only time she realised something was wrong was when he asked who she banks with and then for the sort code and account number she point blank refused to give these details. From the recording he then rattles off a number of terms and conditions to her quite quickly I know from the recording she had no idea what he was saying or what she was agreeing to.

I wish she wouldn't pay the bills but as I said in a previous post she is just too terrified of what they would do if she didn't. I think is convinced she would be jailed.

At the time I had also requested from Eircom that if any company approached them to change her billing for calls it was not authorised and to contact her immediately - this was noted on the account all I got from them was an apology as it was noted on the account. But as far as I know there isn't much that they can do once they had her Eircom account number.

I am now emailing both Yourtel and ComReg on a daily basis about the issues with her phoneline but haven't heard anything back apart from the acknowledgements from ComReg.

Hi Tigamber

If that was the way the call was structured, and you had already instructed Eircom not to authorise changing carrier, and it was written on the account with Eircom, and Eircom did not comply with this request, then Yourtel haven't a leg to stand on. Cancel the contract and go back to Eircom or someone else would be my action immediately. This can be hard to explain to an old person sometimes, as the letters Yourtel send are very threatening to people that have no experience of this type of behaviour.
    Them obtaining your mother's Eircom account number does not bestow any rights to Yourtel whatsoever.

Of course, it is also a win-win for Eircom, because they will lock your mother into a new 12 month contract.

There is no way that would wash in court, the way Yourtel have behaved, or Eircom for that matter. And as I said, there will be no court action by Yourtel - court action costs a lot of money and they would have to prove their case in front of a judge. Paying their bills is only encouraging their behaviour. Send an e-mail to yourtel stating the facts and cancelling the account and that you are acting on behalf of your mother - back-up with a registered written letter also if you wish.

You will get no joy with Comreg - I have been dealing with Comreg for months. As I said above, Comreg get paid licence fees by Yourtel so they have a huge vested interest in keeping yourtel alive.
    Yourtel will not respond to your e-mails either.

Get onto the Dept of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources on Monday about Yourtel and about your dissatisfaction with Comreg (and Eircom) and get onto your local politicians. Also get onto the National Consumer Agency. The Dept of Corporate Enforcement is another option.

I know all this is huge hassle, but these type of companies need to be closed down immediately.

Will definitely do that Monday. Thanks for the advice I am trying everything and anything to get rid of them. I also reported them to the Garda fraud squad after I heard the way the call was carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If its Eircoms fault forward all bills on to them.

I cannot posts links here because of 'new user' so put www in front of links

oireachtas.ie/parliament/media/committees/pac/correspondence/2013-meeting691701/%5BPAC-R-802%5D-Correspondence-3C.6.pdf

This is the link to Comreg chairperson Presentation to Dail Public Accounts Committee on ComReg's accounts from Jan 2013 - skip to page 2 for details of how ComReg is funded by all the telecom companies - including Yourtel!!, postal companies, premium rate services.

"Turning now to funding and operations, ComReg does not receive any funding from the State. We receive levy income from the electronic communications, postal and premium rate services industries we regulate. In addition, we receive licence fees and spectrum access fees from these firms/individuals using radio spectrum licenced under the Wireless Telegraphy Acts. Income in excess of our costs is treated as surplus and handed over to the Exchequer. Since the establishment of our organisation in 1997, we have already passed on over €820 million in surplus to the Exchequer.

ComReg has a staff of 107, comprised mainly of professionals such as engineers, accountants, legal staff, economists and analysts, who have the skills and qualifications needed to undertake economic regulation."

In it it states that "Our income for the year to 30 June 2012 was €57m and expenditure was €22m, leaving a surplus of €35m."

So 107 staff and a yearly expenditure of €22m.... Leaving aside costs like advertising etc, it appears some people in there are bloody well paid. (Now never forget that Yourtel is helping with this wage bill hehehehehehe by paying a fee for their Carrier Pre-Select licence).....

On page 1 of the pdf doc in link, the ComReg chairperson states that and I quote:
    "In terms of Consumer Protection, our aim is to safeguard the interests of the consumers of communication services by protecting and empowering them."

Hehehehe not doing a good job there now are we ComReg and is there not a huge conflicted interest when Yourtel contribute to your income. How much has Yourtel paid for the CPS licence I wonder?

Next link is how Eircom make money off landline users via the National Directory Database and selling your details to telemarketers.
    Again put www in front.

comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1467.pdf

Page 6 and 7 of the PDF document are the relevant pages. So Eircom, a private company, makes money selling on your details to telemarketers.

People need to start seriously questioning our political elite how people's phone details are being sold on to telemarketers and why people's landline numbers are opted in to the NDD telemarketer register instead of being opted out of the telemarketer register automatically.

Final link is about the NDD and the opt-out register. Again put www in front.

comreg.ie/consumer_initiatives/direct_marketing_opt-out_register.492.566.html

On this page it states and I quote: "It is a criminal offence to make an unsolicited marketing call to a fixed line telephone number that is recorded in the opt-out register. Enforcement is a matter for the Data Protection Commissioner."

So considering that ComReg have registered a case against Yourtel for calling people that were on the NDD opt-out register, where is the Data Protection Commissioner in all this!?

Scared of taking on Facebook, scared of taking on Yourtel, and scared of taking on big business in general eh!!

Rise up little people!!!

@Tigamber, @ everyone else affected by Yourtel and Comreg fiasco

The jihad against Yourtel needs to be a multi-pronged assault, and you need to go back to the old reliable letter and postage stamp in my opinion, because e-mails can get lost in the ether or obstructed/apprehended by the worker drones and phone calls are only in the moment, unless they are recorded.
    (For example, on my numerous calls to the ComReg drones about my Yourtel issues, the drone said and I quote that ‘it depends what the management of ‘ComReg’ decide’. ComReg management won’t do anything unless pushed because they are getting licence fees from Yourtel and there is also the possibility that they are not being told all that is going on from the drones.

Addressing the envelope to the relevant Queen Bee person and mark it ‘To Addressee only, Private & Confidential! will ensure a better hit rate and turn the heat on the Queen Bees.

So I would do the following

1. ComReg.
    Address your letter to the current Chairperson of Comreg who is Kevin O’Brien as follows:

To Addressee only, Private & Confidential
    Kevin O’Brien Chairperson
    Commission for Communications Regulation,
    Block DEF,
    Abbey Court,
    Irish Life Centre,
    Lower Abbey Street,
    Dublin 1

Link to Comreg Executive Quango here – just put www in front
    comreg.ie/_fileupload/Executive%20Management%20Team%20Org%20Chart.pdf

Summarise your case – reference your ComReg case number if you have one, and ask why is it taking ComReg so long to investigate. Raise the fact that complaints against Yourtel have been going on for over a year now –reference this boards thread as evidence.

Now include the links that poster Aul Jim Halpin has given showing that this Yourtel/Primaholding parent company has been at this crack in other countries, incl Austria etc – just copy and paste his links from his posts into your letter. Tell the chairperson to use Google translate to translate it! Ask Comreg why they have granted a licence to Yourtel based on all this evidence and importantly ask him how much does Yourtel pay for the licence and is ComReg acting in the interests of the consumer little people or big business.

2. Who is Comreg answerable to? I believe it is the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, a certain Alex White of the ruling elites, who ultimately should in theory be answerable to the little people in a correct functioning democracy.

Address another letter to him as follows:

To Addressee only, Private & Confidential
    Minister Alex White
    Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources,
    29-31 Adelaide Road,
    Dublin 2,
    Ireland

In this letter, you need to lay out your grievance against Comreg and how they have allowed a sham company a licence for Carrier Pre-Select, and how your parents are in deep stress about bills that they did not willingly sign up to and are being threatened by debt collection agencies.
    Include relevant info from letter 1 above.

You also need to ask how is Eircom allowed to make money by selling on people’s details to telemarketers as I have pointed out in my last post. Ask why are people not automatically opted out of telemarketers lists instead of having to physically opt out. Ask how is ComReg independent and acting in the best interests of consumers when they are funded by the likes of Yourtel.

3. The Comreg chairman needs to be dragged in front of the Dail Public Accounts Committee to explain their actions in this whole fiasco, so your third letter should be addressed to the Public Accounts Committee members.

Link here to the members – put www in front

oireachtas.ie/parliament/oireachtasbusiness/committees_list/public-accounts/members/

Shane Ross is on it, and he should be on the little people’s side. I would gladly pay top dollar to be in the gallery when the ComReg chairman has to explain his quango’s ineptitude and conflicted interest in this whole affair.

Again the PAC members need to be made aware of the ineptitude of ComReg, how this is going on more than a year, ComReg conflicted interest, how yourtel have been carrying on this craic in other countries etc, false Yourtel contracts, threatening letters, debt demand letters from Crosskerry’s (if you got one). Above all, there is a very important question about credit rating impact as well with these threatening letters.

ComReg need to be dragged over the coals by the PAC and the PAC also need to be asked how Eircom is allowed to make money by selling on people’s details to telemarketers as I have pointed out in my last post. Ask why are people not automatically opted out of telemarketers lists instead of having to physically opt out. Ask how is ComReg independent and acting in the best interests of consumers when they are funded by the likes of Yourtel.

Our ruling elites need to understand that they were democratically elected not to vote for bank guarantees, bank bailouts and foisting private banking debt onto the taxpayer, but that they were elected to represent the little people in a fair and equitable Republic, and that includes the case of the Little People versus Yourtel and rooting out corruption and vested interests.

4. The fourth estate, i.e. journalism. The reporting of Yourtel has been very poor by the mainstream media in my opinion, with no investigative work carried out at all.
    Reference articles in the Examiner and the Independent.
    The consumer champions of the national press need to be informed of this whole sorry saga.
    I am sure they would be very interested in how ComReg have carried on, how Yourtel have been at this craic in other countries, how Eircom make money off selling people’s details to telemarketers.

Conor Pope of the Irish Times would be a good person to contact in confidence I guess as well as the journalists that have reported on the Yourtel case from the Examiner and the Independent so that it might open their eyes a little bit.

5. The other people is the local TD’s in your constituency – use Parish Pump politics at its best in the national interest – use a copy of letter two above.

Other options are the Office of Corporate Enforcement, National Consumer Agency, Garda Fraud Squad, Commissioner for Data Protection etc.

After that we should be all lettered out (posted letters will work best for items 1 & 2 above anyhow imo), and hopefully can sit back and watch the sh1t hit the fan in the case of ‘The Little People versus Yourtel’.

@seanfheargrinn - Please provide advice without politicising. Keep it straight and factual and do not add your colour/beliefs to it.

dudara

This is the Consumer Issues forum, not the politics forum. So if you wish to discuss a political angle, take it to the relevant forum. It is possible to give the same advice as above without the political angle.

If you have an issue with moderators, please take it to the Feedback forum. I would normally offer to engage in an informal PM conversation, but since you have already moved to comparisons with Nazi Germany, I don't think such a route would be productive.

dudara

Ok Dudara have it your way.
    I have opened thread in Feedback on same.
    I will continue to contribute here unless my opnion is not wanted here and I will endeavor to keep a political angle out of my posts to the Consumer Issues threads or any other angle for that matter.

Feedback Thread:
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94115075

Please people, do not respond to the feedback conversation thread here in the Yourtel thread. Lets get the focus back to the Yourtel issue and to removing them from Irelands business and consumer landscape and for any other companies that wish to set up and scam our citizens.

Je suis Auld Jim Halpin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Ok Dudara have it your way.
    I have opened thread in Feedback on same.
    I will continue to contribute here unless my opnion is not wanted here and I will endeavor to keep a political angle out of my posts to the Consumer Issues threads or any other angle for that matter.

Feedback Thread:
    boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94115075

Please people, do not respond to the feedback conversation thread here in the Yourtel thread. Lets get the focus back to the Yourtel issue and to eradicating them from Irelands business and consumer landscape and for any other companies that wish to set up and scam our citizens.

Je suis Auld Jim Halpin :)

I would have thought the easiest way to eradicate them was simply not to pay them and switch back to Eircom. Is there any evidence of Yourtel taking any action against anyone for non payment. I doubt it.
    If you or anyone else have elderly parents that have been 'caught' by this and can't cope, then you need to handle it for them. Seriously, what's the worst that can happen.
    That's the way I see it anyway but I'll stand corrected if I'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

I created a brand new email for my dad in order to cancel their policy after they called him. Logged in to see if they replied (they didnt) but the email addy is receiving loads of spam....from a couple of days after it was created and only a single email ever sent from it!!!

Have they the power to effect your credit rating?

emeldc wrote: »
    I would have thought the easiest way to eradicate them was simply not to pay them and switch back to Eircom. Is there any evidence of Yourtel taking any action against anyone for non payment. I doubt it.
    If you or anyone else have elderly parents that have been 'caught' by this and can't cope, then you need to handle it for them. Seriously, what's the worst that can happen.
    That's the way I see it anyway but I'll stand corrected if I'm missing something.

With respect that is wrong. They have issued letters saying that they have passed on the debt to a debt collection agency and also that they have informed the credit bureau of your debt default - to check your credit rating to see if they have actually acted on it, you need to pay a fee. They have passed the debts onto the debt collectors Crosskerry's of Merrion Square who have issued debt demand letters demanding payment within 10 days or threatening legal action if you haven't done so - PM me your email address if you want proof and I will readily send you on my example as well as the threatening letters from Yourtel.

Now if you are an older, vulnerable person that is frightening, and it can even ruin your Christmas - just read all the various posters on here whose elderly parents have been affected.

There is something intrinsically wrong with Eircom, a private company, being allowed to sell personal details like names, landline numbers and addresses to tele-marketers and cold-callers without people's permission, and people having to intentionally opt-out to stop that. There is also something intrinsically wrong with ComReg being funded by the likes of Yourtel through licence fees - that to me creates a huge conflict of interest and is not in the consumer's long-term interest.

As I said before, businesses big and small, and especially crooked businesses like lax or little regulation - reduces their costs for complying with regulation you see, and crooked businesses can act with impunity then. The political and ruling classes need to defend consumers against this financial type extortion as they ultimately oversee the regulators on our behalf. It is not all about 'the best little country to do business'........

@ 893 bet. Yes, they can affect your credit rating if they inform the credit bureau of it. And if you get a bad debt rating, even though it is a financial fraud, it can be nigh impossible to clear your name. Just try to get a mortgage, loans with a bad debt rating. And even if it is your parent's debt, if you apply for a loan, credit card etc using the same postal address, they are likely to refuse you because that address has a bad debt rating.

Yourtel are engaging in financial terrorism in the extreme imo. It is no different to raiders raiding old people. Dealing with it is more than just about helping your direct relatives, if we have any semblance of humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

they have informed the credit bureau of your debt default - to check your credit rating to see if they have actually acted on it, you need to pay a fee.

"The credit bureau" - the ICB - don't take notifications of this kind. I'd say they'd be very interested in someone making spurious claims to this effect.

Even the private credit reference agencies - Experian/Equifax - are meant to look for proper solid proof the debt actually exists, e.g. a contract exists.
    893bet wrote: »
    Have they the power to effect your credit rating?

ICB - not without obtaining a judgement against you. Which, for amounts under four figures, is not financially viable and realistically would be very unlikely to succeed

Private agencies - possibly. Hopefully not, but its far from the most ethical industry.

Advertisement