Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2 guys 1 email

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think the @googlemail switchover is the issue, that's effectively just a facade. You can send a mail using either the @gmail or @googlemail address and it will go to the same account.

Years back when UPC terminated a lot of traffic in the UK, I would see "GoogleMail" branding when I logged in from home and "Gmail" branding when logged in from work, using the same account on both. I never experienced any problems sending or receiving mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

seamus wrote: »
    This happens with my account all the time. I routinely use it as firstname.lastname@gmail.com, but some guy with the same name has been giving out firstnamelastname@gmail.com for years. It's usually personal email he gets sent to it rather than emails from sites, so I can only assume he calls it out to people in person and then wonders why nobody ever emails him.
    Had something like this, except the person had a middle initial. When I tracked down what was happening, he apologized, gave me some of his history (going back to his great grandfather which was cool), and all was good.

Have had some school email me, seems some 5 year old kid gave them my email address. They stopped emailing me after a few emails of me telling them they've got the wrong person. Got some random email a few weeks later, so CC'ed a few from their school board, etc, asking them about their data protection policies, etc, and haven't heard from them since ^.^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

seamus wrote: »
    This happens with my account all the time. I routinely use it as firstname.lastname@gmail.com, but some guy with the same name has been giving out firstnamelastname@gmail.com for years. It's usually personal email he gets sent to it rather than emails from sites, so I can only assume he calls it out to people in person and then wonders why nobody ever emails him.

Thats not possible.

GMAIL just strips out the dots.

e.g.
    johnnywalker@gmail.com
    johnny.walker@gmail.com goes to the same address
    as does
    j.ohnnywalker@gmail.com
    j.o.h.n.n.y.w.a.l.k.e.r@gmail.com
    and so on

Thats not possible.

Yes, exactly.

So I use firstname.lastname@gmail.com. Which means that I own that address and all permutations with and without dots.

This other guy appears to keep giving out firstnamelastname@gmail.com to people and I continually get his mail.

I have no idea what he thinks his address is or what he uses to log into gmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Thats not possible.

e.g.
    johnnywalker@gmail.com
    johnny.walker@gmail.com goes to the same address
    as does
    j.ohnnywalker@gmail.com
    j.o.h.n.n.y.w.a.l.k.e.r@gmail.com
    and so on

Do you know I was sceptical about this assertion so I've just tried it with my gmail acc..... And it works with dots in it.

Amazing

• Advertisement

ads20101 wrote: »
    Do you know I was sceptical about this assertion so I've just tried it with my gmail acc..... And it works with dots in it.

Amazing

Another trick you can use if you're signing up for newsletters, etc, is to auto-tag emails as they come in. So you can tell them your address is <name>+<tag>@gmail.com.

So for example if you signup for something like groupon with johndoe+groupon@gmail.com, all emails from them will automatically be tagged with "Groupon" in your inbox so they can be easily found or filtered.

Doesn't really work with sites where your email address is also your username, but it is useful with dodgy sites or newsletters so that you can easily block all incoming mail from them or you can see if they have sold your address onto someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

Hey OP, I've the same problem but this stretches back years.

I've a Hotmail and Gmail account which is my name and even though it's not that common, people with the same name have managed to sign me up to stuff. Mostly in the US. I'm getting junior league hockey mom e-mails. My favourite has been "The Wedding". Someone gave my e-mail to the wedding planner for the most lavish wedding I've ever heard of. Took me a while to cop what was going on.

Mostly it's just newsletters and the likes and I've a pain in my face unsubscribing from stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wyrn wrote: »
    Hey OP, I've the same problem but this stretches back years.

I've a Hotmail and Gmail account which is my name and even though it's not that common, people with the same name have managed to sign me up to stuff. Mostly in the US. I'm getting junior league hockey mom e-mails. My favourite has been "The Wedding". Someone gave my e-mail to the wedding planner for the most lavish wedding I've ever heard of. Took me a while to cop what was going on.

Mostly it's just newsletters and the likes and I've a pain in my face unsubscribing from stuff.

do you still have it? can we have a gander?!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭blade1

do you still have it? can we have a gander?!!:pac:

Nosey hole!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

blade1 wrote: »
    Nosey hole!!:pac:

actually, should be posted over in the wedding forum, just so that no one will think they're over doing anything!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Regarding email addresses, the part before the @ sign, technically can be case sensitive although I'm not aware of any email proviers who enforce this. The part after the @ sign (ie. the domain name) is never case sensitive.

Advertisement