Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Korky's Shoes Hell

• 22-03-2013 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, I have just had the worst customer experience with on Princes Street, Cork, today.

I went to return a pair of Sketchers to Korky's Shoes in Cork, they were making me walk on my instep, and was told by thre manager they would have to be checked by a Cobbler, shoe repair shop, and I would get a call later. I left the shoes with the manager and went on my way, about an hour later I got a call to say the cobbler looked at the shoes and could see nothing wrong and he had suggested I purchase insoles to correct my stance!! I have never had problems with my stance with any other shoe so I asked who was the cobbler so I could ask how he was basing his assessment.

I went to cobbler and asked about the shoes. 'nothing wrong with them' he said so I asked for same in writing, 'can't give you that in writing as it is only my opinion' he says. The cobbler agreed that he would not stand over his own opinion.

I went back to Korky's Shoes and told the manager what cobbler had said, she said that cobbler had no connection to Korky's, even though his opinion was why they were not giving me a refund/exchange, and she was still standing over her decision.

I have to say that today's experience was the worst in my life and I hope nobody will have to go through the same,

John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you not quote the Sale of Goods Act; i.e. shoes not fit for purpose?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Generally, unless the shoes are defective you don't have any right to a refund.
    As a long shot you could argue the shoes are not fit for the purpose but if you tried them on beforehand and found no instep walking then that argument is weakened imo.

As for the cobbler, well that was bad manners but as he was assessing for the shoe shop you weren't entitled to his report. It's also possible he took offence to being told "his 'opinion' was why Korky's were not giving me a refund/exchange".

They're still your shoes so feel free to take them to a different cobbler and get another opinion if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Generally, unless the shoes are defective you don't have any right to a refund.
    As a long shot you could argue the shoes are not fit for the purpose but if you tried them on beforehand and found no instep walking then that argument is weakened imo.

As for the cobbler, well that was bad manners but as he was assessing for the shoe shop you weren't entitled to his report. It's also possible he took offence to being told "his 'opinion' was why Korky's were not giving me a refund/exchange".

They're still your shoes so feel free to take them to a different cobbler and get another opinion if you like.
    I don't think you have a leg to stand on!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 soundroom72

Hi, The cobbler said she, the manager of Korky's, had only asked for an opinion and nothing official so he had given a quick opinion, he admitted he would not stand over it, as for noticing the issue while trying them on, it was only after a while my feet were getting sore that I noticed the sole issue. I would accept an exchange/credit note etc. but they were having none of it. Consumer rights agency says next recourse is small claims court, however, I'm not sure if I win do I get a refund of the €25 fee, shoes were €40 in sale.

I don't think you have a leg to stand on!

why not? is that not what consumer rights are for, product defective you can rescind your contract, says so on the tin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

why not? is that not what consumer rights are for, product defective you can rescind your contract, says so on the tin...

The shoe has to be a shoe, once its a shoe and its the same as was sold to you there's no problem. There's no regulation that the shoe has to walk a certain way or anything. Unless you were told that the shoe has a spesific instep or lack of the good are as described (just a shoe) and there's nothing wrong with them. You bought them as they were not based on a description of what they were supposed to be like.

As Astor the cobbler it appears that you were just being annoying and trying to involve him in something he didn't want to be involved in.

From Korky's website:

Skechers - Odesa-Goredo brown men trainer at Korkys. Urban, athletic, and vintage elements blend to make the Skechers Odessa. Featuring a woven brown canvas and suede inserts upper, stitching details, beige laces and thick rubber sole. You’ll look modern and hip in these lace-up sneakers !

English Definition of 'Trainer': Athletic shoe, a type of light, comfortable shoe that is suitable for playing sport

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The problem is that you've yet to show that the product is defective, whereas the shop at least have an opinion from a professional which rejects this claim.

Also walking on the inside of your foot can be caused by a number of things, such as a change in your walking gait. It's possible you may have developed this recently or it may have been less apparent with previous footwear.
    Not all shoes are identical, so the new shoes may simply be unsuitable for your foot shape or gait but that does not necessarily mean they are unfit.
    http://walking.about.com/od/shoechoice/a/wayyouwalk.htm

slimjimmc wrote: »
    The problem is that you've yet to show that the product is defective, whereas the shop at least have an opinion from a professional which rejects this claim.

Also walking on the inside of your foot can be caused by a number of things, such as a change in your walking gait. It's possible you may have developed this recently or it may have been less apparent with previous footwear.
    Not all shoes are identical, so the new shoes may simply be unsuitable for your foot shape or gait but that does not necessarily mean they are unfit.
    http://walking.about.com/od/shoechoice/a/wayyouwalk.htm

Hi, I've been to chiropractor for another issue and after a full examination I can definitively say with authority that there is nothing wrong with my gait

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - no off topic posts please.

OP - the goods have to be defective for the Sale of Goods Act to apply. All we can tell at the moment is that the shoe didn't suit you. That doesn't necessarily make them defective.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    Posters - no off topic posts please.

OP - the goods have to be defective for the Sale of Goods Act to apply. All we can tell at the moment is that the shoe didn't suit you. That doesn't necessarily make them defective.

talk about going off piste!! they hurt my feet and turn inwards as you walk, I'm 41 years of age and have never, nor now, have the same issue with any other shoe, I do not blame the type of shoe/make, just that particular one, it happens, some shoes do not come off the assembly line the same and some get through the quality process onto the shelves, simple really, I have been running all my life and think I have a fair idea of what is right or wrong in the shoe department

...and besides, customer goes into shop and says product not right, shop owner says no problem sir, here is a replacement product, customer goes away happy, tells all their friends some of whom also purchase product from shop and when product requires replacement customer goes back to same shop and buys another, customer even goes to same shop for a different product because service was so good, end result happy customer happy shop owner

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭01902

But if the shoes are not faulty then no credit from sketches, free pair of shoes given away and every one starts doing the same. Shop gives away more shoes than they sell.

No idea if your shoes are genuinely faulty or not but that is the flip side to your idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

...and besides, customer goes into shop and says product not right, shop owner says no problem sir, here is a replacement product, customer goes away happy, tells all their friends some of whom also purchase product from shop and when product requires replacement customer goes back to same shop and buys another, customer even goes to same shop for a different product because service was so good, end result happy customer happy shop owner

You are talking about what is best from a customer service point of view. However you are talking about SCC and this is looked at from a legal point of view there is no defect with the product and thus the seller would not have to refund/exchange.

In reality most shops will attempt to do so as much as they can. The shoes should have been tested in store when buying and if unsure the returns policy should have been checked. Korkys seem to have a 28 returns policy so if in unused condition they could be returned no problem within this period. If used it is acceptable to only accept defective shoes back as they cant resell the shoes so would be losing money through no fault of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

I assume you tried on the shoes before you bought them? And at that stage you were happy with how they fitted and felt?

If so, there's nothing the store should do unless you can point out a fault. Nit every suze 9 suits everyone who takes size 9. You have the opportunity to try tgrm before you buy them. Sorry but 100% your error and no court will find in your favour based in what you have said so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

sandin wrote: »
    I assume you tried on the shoes before you bought them? And at that stage you were happy with how they fitted and felt?

If so, there's nothing the store should do unless you can point out a fault. Nit every suze 9 suits everyone who takes size 9. You have the opportunity to try tgrm before you buy them. Sorry but 100% your error and no court will find in your favour based in what you have said so far.

You'd be surprised how a court decision can go completely against what you'd think :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I'd be intrigued to find out which Skechers shoe it was.

I bought a pair of them towards the end of last year and they are unwearable. Whatever way they are pushing my foot while wearing them the pain is unbearable.

I have been wearing Skechers for years and have never had this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

OP - also I would contact Skechers directly. Scan a copy of the receipt with the details of the shoe and send it to Skechers. And tell them that the shoes are unwearable.

If you are getting no luck of Korky's.

Advertisement