Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog crap all over Cabra

• 25-01-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

So once again, I am walking with the kids to the child minders this morning. One of them gets tired along the way and wants to be carried.

I pick the child up and then notice the smell.

Dog crap on his shoe, dog crap all over my trousers from when I am carrying him. I get to the childminders and spend ten minutes cleaning dog faeces off the sole of his shoe. I have to return home to get changed instead of heading directly on to work.

I know its not the only place in Dublin that has this problem, but everywhere I go in Cabra there is dog crap on the footpaths. Its disgusting, its vile, its extremely dangerous also......who knows what disease is carred in this actual crap.

I'm just so bloody tired of not being able to bring a pram or a childs shoe or my own shoe into the house because of it. At least on the footpaths you can see it and have a chance of dodging it, but on any green area.....basically you have to stay off them and keep the kids off them because of it. Have dog owners in Cabra got no pride in their environs whatsoever that they allow this to happen? There is one corner near me that could literally be called Dog Crap Corner, as everytime I pass there are at least 5 or 6 different turds.

Now I know a lot of dog owners are responsible.

But there are clearly a huge amount who are not. My suspicion incidentally is that the irresponsible owners are elderly people who let their dog out "to do his business" first thing in the morning or last thing at night.

There are signs up all over the place saying it is littering, it is illegal, about the fines and so on, but to no avail. Is there anything that can be done about this.....in people's views. Or is it a pointless rant.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Not a pointless rant, it's the same in Palmerstown. I have to swerve around the path down to the bus stop to avoid stepping in dog ****.

I don't know how it is enforced. Has anyone ever seen someone get fined for not cleaning up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Twee. wrote: »
    Not a pointless rant, it's the same in Palmerstown. I have to swerve around the path down to the bus stop to avoid stepping in dog ****.

I don't know how it is enforced. Has anyone ever seen someone get fined for not cleaning up?

Neighbour of mine was fined €120 I think, (it was a few years ago) they used to let the dog out in the morning and the dog would come back when hungry.
    They didn't know he was making a mess of the place up the road a bit and someone took pic's over time and went to DCC, they knew who owned the dog.
    Paid the fine, bought a lead and brought plastic bags, not happy but accepted it.

Tomboo2000, Roughly what area in Cabra are you talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

nudger wrote: »
    Neighbour of mine was fined €120 I think, (it was a few years ago) they used to let the dog out in the morning and the dog would come back when hungry.
    They didn't know he was making a mess of the place up the road a bit and someone took pic's over time and went to DCC, they knew who owned the dog.
    Paid the fine, bought a lead and brought plastic bags, not happy but accepted it.

Tomboo2000, Roughly what area in Cabra are you talking about.

East Cabra is where I live.....but my guess is it could be anywhere.

For example the bridge over the railway tracks at Faussagh Road, from the gaeilscoil up towards Carnlough. That bridge always has a 5 or so turds to dodge.

Similarly, the patch of green just outside the gaeilscoil......literally cant let the kids run on it.

All around East Cabra, but especially the road surrounding the Church.

Part of the problem here is that if you do complain about it formally, you are effectively reporting your neighbours to the authorities, and that can create all sorts of bad blood that can last for...well decades....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Ashdown Dog Pound is where the Dog Warden service for Dublin City Council's administrative area is based.

I would imagine they would need some specific information if you want them to to target a particular street, green area, etc

I for one have witnessed Dog Warden service in action on Dollymount beach/St Anne's Park in both their vans & in summer time on their bikes patrolling the area.

If they don't know they cant act so might be worth your while contacting them.

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    East Cabra is where I live.....but my guess is it could be anywhere.

For example the bridge over the railway tracks at Faussagh Road, from the gaeilscoil up towards Carnlough. That bridge always has a 5 or so turds to dodge.

Similarly, the patch of green just outside the gaeilscoil......literally cant let the kids run on it.

All around East Cabra, but especially the road surrounding the Church.

Part of the problem here is that if you do complain about it formally, you are effectively reporting your neighbours to the authorities, and that can create all sorts of bad blood that can last for...well decades....

It's not much better out west, broombridge area is not much better if not worse. Because of all the break ins poeple got dogs and not small ones for pets.
    Its all big dogs and the owners just send the kids out who let/don't know any better/can't stop them from ****ting all over the place, also most scum have a few dogs and no good neighbours will report them, too scared.

• Advertisement

nudger wrote: »
    It's not much better out west, broombridge area is not much better if not worse. Because of all the break ins poeple got dogs and not small ones for pets.
    Its all big dogs and the owners just send the kids out who let/don't know any better/can't stop them from ****ting all over the place, also most scum have a few dogs and no good neighbours will report them, too scared.

well there is that issue as well.....

Pope John Paul park and the bogies good examples where pit bulls and rothweilers regularly off the leash, but that is a different story.

Both parks full of dog crap needless to say, especially Pope John Paul.

Ashdown Dog Pound is where the Dog Warden service for Dublin City Council's administrative area is based.

I would imagine they would need some specific information if you want them to to target a particular street, green area, etc

I for one have witnessed Dog Warden service in action on Dollymount beach/St Anne's Park in both their vans & in summer time on their bikes patrolling the area.

If they don't know they cant act so might be worth your while contacting them.

thats interesting but I think they would concentrate more on owners letting rothweilers and the like off a leash......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    Now I know a lot of dog owners are responsible.
    The dirty bastards! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I caught a chap last week with his dog in my garden taking a cr*p! I'm not a tough guy or anything but my blood was boiling, I'd roared him out if it to clean it up.

I do agree with the other posters though, there's cr*p everywhere in cabra, especially on the navan road. :mad:

Does anyone know if there any residents committee groups?

• Advertisement

There's groups for the Navan road, Ashington, kinvara, Rathbourne, Martin Savage areas, I don't know about the older parts from AGS down to Phibsboro.
    Give Cabra station a buzz they would have a list and contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭pabloh999

If you cant clean up after your dog you shouldnt be allowed have one.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    I caught a chap last week with his dog in my garden taking a cr*p! I'm not a tough guy or anything but my blood was boiling, I'd roared him out if it to clean it up.

I do agree with the other posters though, there's cr*p everywhere in cabra, especially on the navan road. :mad:

That's really bad form, the thing is he can't be fined for that, if it had been the dog there is an on the spot fine of €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭LeBash

[/QUOTE]

Its all big dogs and the owners just send the kids out who let/don't know any better/can't stop them from ****ting all over the place, also most scum have a few dogs and no good neighbours will report them, too scared.[/Quote]

Agreed, I walk up bannow or carnlough most mornings and they are 2 of the worst roads I've ever seen. I don't know if a 40 ft would be able to contain it.

And that's where our beans come from!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Do people not use pooper scoopers? This is illegal activity and should be reported to the dog warden. These dogs will be taken from their owners and the problem should then be resolved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I live in Cabra East (around Annamoe) as well and it is a mess, you have to keep your wits about you when walking, it seems to be all over the roads and noone is doing anything about it to clean it up.

It puts you off going out for a walk when you have to spend your time dodging the cr*p :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Spencer Handsome Woodchuck

I'm living near the church in east cabra and in 30 years have never seen a warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Achtung! Bono

i was visiting a friend in Cabra a couple of times recently and i walked up from Phibsborough to Broombridge road ( barely 2 mile) and i kid you not, on the side of the street i walked up there must have been around 15. i was pretty shocked.

I live in London and very rarely see any dog Sh!te on the street here. Even in local dog walking areas you always see dog walkers with their plastic bags.

It's bad enough scumbags don't clean up after their dogs but ffs where's the council to clean it up.

Well I arrived home today and in my drive about 6 foot inside from the path was a large pile of dog **** (I hope).
    What sort of stupid bastard lets their dog go into someone's garden to have a ****, If I had cough him/her, Jesus, I don't know what I would had done to them. The **** would have been leaving either in a bag, their pocket, or on their head.
    I'll be watching out, had to be a big dog, only 2 I know off in the area and both have good owners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

I'm a proud owner of a yorkie and his craps are miniscule but I always, always pick up after him, using bin bags that I have tied onto his lead-handle.

Anyways, quick, semi-topic-related question: Last saturday I got into an altercation with a local shopowner because I had placed a sealed bag of my dogs droppings into a large bin just inside the door of the shop. Bearing in mind it was a binliner bag, carrying a small enough load and it had been tied shut very tightly to prevent any chance of germs spreading. The bin was a very large one, not an average household bin but one of those heavy duty outdoor litter bins. I had been walking my dog, and picked up after him when he crapped, as I always do. There wasn't any other place I could put it in the vicinity.

Anyway the oul' bitch must've seen me drop the bag in the bin because she was out of the backroom like a shot, asking did I just drop my dog's crap in her bin. I said yes and she asked me to remove it. I refused. She continued to make a big fuss about it until I turned and told her that I had been giving that shop my loyal custom for 12 years but they could forget about it from then on. I then walked out.

Who was in the right there? Personally I think I was, since I had (A) picked up after my dog in the first place and (B) chosen a suitable receptacle for the 'refuse'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

I'm a proud owner of a yorkie and his craps are miniscule but I always, always pick up after him, using bin bags that I have tied onto his lead-handle.

Who was in the right there? Personally I think I was, since I had (A) picked up after my dog in the first place and (B) chosen a suitable receptacle for the 'refuse'.

well at least you bothered to pick it up, so you're defo in the right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Spencer Handsome Woodchuck

I had placed a sealed bag of my dogs droppings into a large bin just inside the door of the shop.

Thats were your problem lies. It was inside her shop and she was within her rights to ask you not to put dog faeces in a bin inside her shop.

It's location raises serious health and safety concerns for the shop should she be inspected.

You owe her an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Who was in the right there?
    She was of course. You left dog sh1t inside her shop, how else do you expect her to react? You owe her an apology.

Thats were your problem lies. It was inside her shop and she was within her rights to ask you not to put dog faeces in a bin inside her shop.

It's location raises serious health and safety concerns for the shop should she be inspected.

You owe her an apology.

Well she can fuck right off because she's not getting one! plus i've got loads of choices of other shops I can use. If she'd asked me politely I probably would've complied. The bin was designed to be placed outdoors anyway, not indoors, so she was committing a health and safety violation in the first place. Sure, I wasn't going to leave a dog's **** on the ****ing ground, jesus fucking christ, talk about getting your hand slapped for doing a good deed!:mad:

She was of course. You left dog sh1t inside her shop, how else do you expect her to react? You owe her an apology.

Read my last post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Quentinkrisp

You owe her an apology.

Reread Phenomenally Phrank's post again: the dog**** was in a TIGHTLY SEALED BAG! And as if the health inspector was going to sift through all that ****ing rubbish, Jesus Christ get a fucking clue!

Yeah get off your ****ing high horse and STFU, Tatranska!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sure, I wasn't going to leave a dog's **** on the ****ing ground, jesus fucking christ, talk about getting your hand slapped for doing a good deed!:mad:

Could you not have just waited for an outside/home bin? What happens when your dog goes and you're not near this shop? Do you leave the dog's waste on the ground?

People shouldn't be expecting a round of applause for cleaning up after their dog. You're supposed to do it.

Twee. wrote: »
    Could you not have just waited for an outside/home bin? What happens when your dog goes and you're not near this shop? Do you leave the dog's waste on the ground?

People shouldn't be expecting a round of applause for cleaning up after their dog. You're supposed to do it.

I place it in the nearest bin available.Not expecting a fucking round of applause. I could've easily just left it on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well she can fuck right off because she's not getting one! plus i've got loads of choices of other shops I can use. If she'd asked me politely I probably would've complied. The bin was designed to be placed outdoors anyway, not indoors, so she was committing a health and safety violation in the first place. Sure, I wasn't going to leave a dog's **** on the ****ing ground, jesus fucking christ, talk about getting your hand slapped for doing a good deed!:mad:

To be fair, cleaning up after your own dog is not "doing a good deed". You should either be taking said deposit home, or using a council supplied bin for it. The shopkeeper may have over-reacted, but putting your dog crap into a shop is not acceptable.

Advertisement