Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Over 5,000 have child benefit suspended

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Do you need it?
    i mean really need this payment to keep your child fed and warm?

just wondering why you feel I should pay for your children..?
    There's a good chance that his child will be paying for you when you're sitting in your pissed-soaked chair in about 60 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

Do you need it?
    i mean really need this payment to keep your child fed and warm?

just wondering why you feel I should pay for your children..?

There's a good chance that his child will be paying for you when you're sitting in your pissed-soaked chair in about 60 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

El Weirdo wrote: »

I'll be well dead before the child is of tax paying age...

There is also a good chance that I & you will continue to pay for this or any other child through the welfare system...

By the way, this is in now way a direct shot at this particular child, just at the sense of entitlement in Ireland.. Has anybody actually said
    "Well I'm doing ok at the moment, I could live without this welfare payment, no thanks, I don't need it"

Hmmm... Just because it is there, it does not mean you should have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

and so they probably have two copies of all letters sent out, on record. but that in itself isn't adequate to prove it was sent and that it was received.

Only that it was sent. I guess it's the responsibility of the person who it's addressed to to reply.

They only suspended payments so the non-reply was good enough grounds I guess.

I'm now officially out of my depth. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,146 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

up, the timing on this was fantastic... my other half got cut off despite not having moved house and no letter arriving...

Of course the relevant public servants were extremely helpful and didn't hang up on her when she called to enquire as to why her children's allowance hadn't come through this month [/sarcasm]

Being careful as to where welfare payments going to is a good thing. Being indiscriminate in stopping those payments can leave people that pay a lot of tax in a precarious financial position is not a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Don't think they are that standard letter, unless 9 year olds leave school, friend of mine got 2 in the last year in relation to their 9 year old.

I also have a friend who is married to a russian woman, they get the letters or are cut off every few months

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The Department says this is part of their ongoing control work to ensure resources go to those who need them most.

A pity such diligence wasn't occurring pre-recession, because it might have saved us a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Nodin wrote: »
    And the Roma get the other two thirds. Terrible.

You forgot the Klingons, they're always on the inter-galactic fiddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'll be well dead before the child is of tax paying age...

There is also a good chance that I & you will continue to pay for this or any other child through the welfare system...

By the way, this is in now way a direct shot at this particular child, just at the sense of entitlement in Ireland.. Has anybody actually said
    "Well I'm doing ok at the moment, I could live without this welfare payment, no thanks, I don't need it"

Hmmm... Just because it is there, it does not mean you should have it.

People probably consider that they've paid for it in their taxes, so why shouldn't they claim it? Just because you claim your entitlement doesn't mean that you have a sense of entitlement.

I believe that it was first introduced as a specific payment to the mother, so that they had at least something that they could call their own, especially in situations where a husband might not give them enough money to live on for one reason or another.

There certainly are people who don't need it, but it doesn't mean that they're not still paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Sleepy wrote: »
    up, the timing on this was fantastic... my other half got cut off despite not having moved house and no letter arriving...

Ah here.

Social welfare offices will be full of people over the next couple of weeks insisting "I didn't get any letter" despite the fact that An Post actually have very strong delivery results (85% next day; vast majority thereafter). You do realize that even if you say your case is genuine, the social welfare inspectors hear this hundreds if not thousands of times a year. What do you want them to do, never cut off a welfare transfer and assume that if a claimant is not responding, there's a genuine reason? That defeats the whole purpose of the operation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

El Weirdo wrote: »

I'm not sure I like that line of reasoning....

"I'm going to do something to you now, because, in 60 years, something *MIGHT* happen".

It's entirely possible his child will be a net loss in terms of tax dollars. There exist people who go their entire life without contributing more in taxes than they consume. It's also entirely possible that the man objecting to paying more taxes/supporting things like child credits will never see a penny of benefit for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ameeee

Here's a crazy idea... why not try only having children if you can afford to? Why should taxpayers pay for randomers to have as many kids as they feel like? Way beyond time for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

ameeee wrote: »
    Here's a crazy idea... why not try only having children if you can afford to? Why should taxpayers pay for randomers to have as many kids as they feel like? Way beyond time for this.

Here's a not so crazy idea.....Its possible that people had kids when they "could afford them"..then through no fault of their own, they find it hard to afford them now!! so unless you can forsee the future and you know what your situation is going to be exactly in 5-10 years time stop talking rubbish!!
    If everyone thought along your lines,the end of the human race wouldnt be too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

typically irish of the Dept to wait over a month for people to respond ensuring those 5k+ fraudsters get an additional payment.

When you get the letters they tend to be backdated to a month before that, they don't really give you 42 days to respond.

I know some foreigners who get them a lot, they usually only get a week or so to respond and always send their response by registered post because because the department has a habit of saying they didn't receive them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭GASMANN

ThePower11 wrote: »
    No, sure isn't half of Nigeria getting Irish Child Benefit.
    Show Time wrote: »
    And Poland.
    and UK,

members of a certain 'indigenous people' claiming across the border...
    And the Roma get the other two thirds. Terrible.
    Doom wrote: »
    I'd say alot of Irish people are in this too, how many have left for Oz etc and still getting it.

2 halfs + 2 thirds + whatevers headin down under...

is there a maths forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

ameeee wrote: »

Every child in Ireland is entitled to Child Benefit currently, regardless of the income of the parents. Rich or poor - all get the same amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ejmaztec wrote: »
    You forgot the Klingons, they're always on the inter-galactic fiddle.

...breed like tribbles, so they do. I'd send them back on the cruiser they came in on.

GASMANN wrote: »
    2 halfs + 2 thirds + whatevers headin down under...

is there a maths forum

..twas an (admittedly weak) attempt at humour.

..twas an (admittedly weak) attempt at humour.

you or me?

GASMANN wrote: »
    you or me?

Me.

• Advertisement

Me.

phew!

Advertisement