Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abolish libel laws

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭

Libel laws should be abolished, if you accuse a politician of being corrupt this person can sue you for libel and get you to pay damages.

Libel laws in this country are detrimental for our freedom of speech.
    Anyone who supports the current libel laws should be considered to be against the freedom of speech.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Whiteonion raped my sister.

White onion stole money from his workplace and uses it to buy drugs to slip into womens drinks

White onion killed Gerry Ryan.

White onion is in the IRA

These are all true because they were on the front page of the Indo

... i think you see where im going with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Are you for real? What if someone started a rumour about one of your parents touching kids or something like that? Do you not think they should be punished? Or is it ok for someones rep to be destroyed just cause YOU think it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭whiteonion

snyper wrote: »
    Whiteonion raped my sister.

White onion stole money from his workplace and uses it to buy drugs to slip into womens drinks

White onion killed Gerry Ryan.

White onion is in the IRA

... i think you see where im going with this
    Yeah, you should be allowed to say these things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

whiteonion wrote: »
    Libel laws should be abolished, if you accuse a politician of being corrupt this person can sue you for libel and get you to pay damages.

Anyone who supports the current libel laws should be considered to be against the freedom of speech.

libel laws are there to protect people from unfounded crap being written about them unfairly...

...it's not a matter of freedom of speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Disagree. What if someone wrongly called you a pedophile? I'm sure you'd like some recourse instead of seeing your face on the front page of every paper and not being able to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Its defamation these days, read the 2009 act, fun stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Okay, bad start to your thread. We don't have libel laws anymore. There is no Libel Act. It was replaced in 2009 by the Defamation Act. The tort of Libel and Slander were thrown in the bin and a new Defamation Tort now exists.

libel laws are there to protect people from unfounded crap being written about them unfairly...

...it's not a matter of freedom of speech.
    I should be allowed to say whatever I like about people. I believe in freedom of speech, obviously others don't...

Yeah, you should be allowed to say these things.

Cool.

But you dont believe that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Have yo thought your argument through at all?

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Have yo thought your argument through at all?
    Just the principle behind the freedom of speech and not letting politicians and rich assholes hide behind these kind of laws.

snyper wrote: »
    Cool.

But you dont believe that.
    Yes I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,097 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

if you accuse a politician of being corrupt this person can sue you for libel and get you to pay damages.

If you liked that you'll love this,
    Even if you prove a politician is corrupt they can't be punished as proved last week.

It's a wonderful little Island all were missing is some Bunga Bunga party's.

Yes I do.

You're full of crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

I should be allowed to say whatever I like about people. I believe in freedom of speech, obviously others don't...
    By that remark, i presume you also believe in other people being able to say whatever they want about you, regardless of how true it is?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

there has to be limitations to freedom. you cant go around saying whatever you want abiut people as that affects there freedom as an individual...

you know that human rights thing... that ties in with your freedom of speech...

If you liked that you'll love this,
    Even if you prove a politician is corrupt they can't be punished as proved last week.

It's a wonderful little Island all were missing is some Bunga Bunga party's.
    Bunga Bunga with Brian Cowen and Mary Harney :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Just the principle behind the freedom of speech and not letting politicians and rich assholes hide behind these kind of laws.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Recognise this?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

You can say what you want as long as you can prove it.

I agree that in Ireland our defamation laws seem to be too strict, but if we had none then how would anyone know what to believe. There would be so much disinformation.

• Advertisement

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    You can say what you want as long as you can prove it.

I agree that in Ireland our defamation laws seem to be too strict, but if we had none then how would anyone know what to believe. There would be so much disinformation.
    There is so much disinformation out there on the Internet. In fact we should ban the Internet!

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Recognise this?
    Sounds like some crappy UN Resolution about "human rights".

There is so much disinformation out there on the Internet. In fact we should ban the Internet!

Or ban your trollish account?

Kiera wrote: »
    Or ban your trollish account?
    Now carefull, we have Defamation laws in this country... :D

Now carefull, we have Defamation laws in this country... :D

Ah but its not defamation if its the truth ;)

Yes I do.

Jebus wept

Kiera wrote: »
    Ah but its not defamation if its the truth ;)
    No it isn't. I would never engage in trolling. All these opinions I state on this site are my legitimate opinions about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

How are we compared to the UK where people can be bankrupted by claims of libel even with nothing to back it up?

No it isn't. I would never engage in trolling. All these opinions I state on this site are my legitimate opinions about things.

Have you had a knock on the head recently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Freedom of speech is there to entitle people to have their opinion and to be able to state and ask questions about any facts they want to.

It does not entitle you to make crap up.

Freedom of speech does not protect you from telling lies.

Advertisement