Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any Irish ever lived in Italy and began to hate Italians?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 gdbjoe

Auslander wrote: »
    btw. I agree with your sentiments on living in Italy, it's all furry coats and no knickers!

You forgot also mafia, spaghetti, pizza, mandolino!

Can I have you expert opinion on this?
    http://i34.tinypic.com/nlzhmq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I thought it to be one of the world's nicest countries.
    • So much culture and history - all around you.
    • Nice people (little or no English language though, so you must learn some Italian to make the breakthrough).
    • Great food, but sometimes I did feel it was variation on a theme.
    • Weather goes without saying.
    • It is nice to see people wear good clothes as a matter of course.
    I thought Irish and Italians have their differences, but generally speaking we do see 'eye to eye'.

I visited Venice and Trieste in the North East, along with Naples and Campania, Calabria and Sicily. Country areas and people were more charming, they were the 'real' Italy more so than the cities, inhabited by the effeminately-dressed men described above.

Other countries are hard work at times, but it is usually worth it. Ability to speak their language is pivotal really.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

topper75 wrote: »

Other countries are hard work at times, but it is usually worth it. Ability to speak their language is pivotal really.

+1.
    I really don't understand why people go to foreign countries expecting foreign people to understand them and not viceversa.
    This is the same attitude that many English people have when they travel just because they always think that they own the place. I'm sorry but the british empire ended a long time ago.

I think irish people would be annoyed if I start to speak in italian to them here in Dublin. Any people should be bothered in learning at least few basic sentences before going to live abroad, this is what I did when i moved here.

anyway, the OP was more annoyed at the staring, the bad smell, the omosexual way to dress, the shops closed on sunday etc.. I don't know what her expectations were when she went there, for sure she has learnt an important lesson: if the rest of world is not like Ireland u'd better to stay at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

blackpitts.. c'e lavoro per me a dublino!! ha!!??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Not all Italian men are sleazy around women, but from my experience over here, about 90% of them are. Walking down the street, which isn't rough at all, when my hair is washed and I'm not wearing tracksuit bottoms at least the heads turn to follow me (and my arse) as I walk away. Normally with some nice comment, like "Oi Gnoccaaaa, vieni qua...", or "Puttana troia". And not just young men either, men old enough to be my dad, even my grandad...

In general, I think Italians blow hot and cold - when they don't know you, or when they're working, they can be uninterested, unengaged, unhelpful, even malicious - I've learned to be a fair bit more assertive since I came over here, otherwise the amount of **** you have to put up with is unbelievable.... Instead of spending 2 minutes ringing a supervisor to check the procedure for dealing with EU nationals, they'll send you to another desk/office, or tell you it's not possible, or "Tu sei irlandese, non e' la mia problema...".

The bureaucracy here is unreal, everything is a bit more tightly regulated (no ****, when I opened my bank account here I had to sign my name 50 times) and the opening times are a pain in the arse, as places generally open from 0900 - 1300, then they have lunch, then reopen in the evening. So if you need to register at the town hall, go to the doctor, pay a bill at the bank, pick up stationary for university, there's no chance of getting it done on your lunchbreak.

Inversely, when they do get to know you, they can be the warmest, kindest, wittiest people - if you're lost, they'll go out of their way to give you directions, they see you with health problems, they'll feed you up and give you traditional cures. So I certainly don't hate all Italians...

I must say as well, the beauty around is amazing - here in Torino, where I'm studying, the centre of the town, with the Baroque and Liberty architecture is gorgeous, and having the backdrop of the Alps...just beautiful.

As a last point, about the clothes, yep, they're very particular about clothing. Especially labels, to an even greater extent than I've seen in Ireland (even laptop cases...) and most girls here won't go out without being immaculate - perfectly straightened/styled and serumed hair, face full of makeup, bleached teath, and even the emo kids here do emo immaculately - they wear Converse, but never scruffy or dirty.

On second thoughts, I probably stick out like a sore thumb - this might be why I get stared at all the time....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

kaki wrote: »
    Not all Italian men are sleazy around women, but from my experience over here, about 90% of them are. Walking down the street, which isn't rough at all, when my hair is washed and I'm not wearing tracksuit bottoms at least the heads turn to follow me (and my arse) as I walk away. Normally with some nice comment, like "Oi Gnoccaaaa, vieni qua...", or "Puttana troia". And not just young men either, men old enough to be my dad, even my grandad...

maybe 90% is a little bit exaggerated but I have to say that many italian men can be very rude, especially when they look at a foreign girl.
    Many italian girls in Ireland have told me that it's very nice walking down the streets without being harrassed by strangers.
    In general, I think Italians blow hot and cold - when they don't know you, or when they're working, they can be uninterested, unengaged, unhelpful, even malicious - I've learned to be a fair bit more assertive since I came over here, otherwise the amount of **** you have to put up with is unbelievable.... Instead of spending 2 minutes ringing a supervisor to check the procedure for dealing with EU nationals, they'll send you to another desk/office, or tell you it's not possible, or "Tu sei irlandese, non e' la mia problema...".

that's true particularly in the public sector and I hate this kind of behaviour, things are slightly better when you deal with people working for a private company
    The bureaucracy here is unreal, everything is a bit more tightly regulated (no ****, when I opened my bank account here I had to sign my name 50 times) and the opening times are a pain in the arse, as places generally open from 0900 - 1300, then they have lunch, then reopen in the evening. So if you need to register at the town hall, go to the doctor, pay a bill at the bank, pick up stationary for university, there's no chance of getting it done on your lunchbreak.

italian burocracy is ****, that's fact
    Inversely, when they do get to know you, they can be the warmest, kindest, wittiest people - if you're lost, they'll go out of their way to give you directions, they see you with health problems, they'll feed you up and give you traditional cures. So I certainly don't hate all Italians...

we can be very generous and trusty friends, i miss this here in Ireland where irish people seem to stick to each other since the primary school and it's very difficult to make real friends.
    As a last point, about the clothes, yep, they're very particular about clothing. Especially labels, to an even greater extent than I've seen in Ireland (even laptop cases...) and most girls here won't go out without being immaculate - perfectly straightened/styled and serumed hair, face full of makeup, bleached teath, and even the emo kids here do emo immaculately - they wear Converse, but never scruffy or dirty.

we are getting too f***ing vain! if you don't wear a label you are a loser, i hate this sh*t! and this attitude is getting worse, everytime i go back home i see my friends becoming more shallow!
    anyway, good luck for your uni! ciao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭30kmph

Has anyone any experience in starting a business in Italy? Yes the whole pink trousers thing is very sad and a bit gay for my liking. Not everyone goes around like that, though. I haven't experienced the whole staring thing really - do you mean in a pervie way...or just rude staring...German style?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've been in america almost 20 years and there's times that I really hate them.

The constant blind pollyanna optimism can get on your nerves.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

30kmph wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience in starting a business in Italy? Yes the whole pink trousers thing is very sad and a bit gay for my liking. Not everyone goes around like that, though. I haven't experienced the whole staring thing really - do you mean in a pervie way...or just rude staring...German style?

I'm not sure that resurrecting this thread, with its comparatively high quotient of silliness and cultural stereotyping, is the best way of getting an answer to your question - anyone who's read the thread before will probably assume that new posts are just more comments from the mad lady who started the thread ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rufein

U know when I tell people I live in Italy (originally from Dublin) they say , "Wow you are so lucky, Pizza pasta casanova art blah"..Yes all those things are nice, but once you LIVE here and you are dealing with self absorbed Italians everyday it becomes a little different. :mad:

What is with the staring?!? Everyone stares here and its normal!?
    And everything being closed all the time?
    Do Italians ever work??

Anyone have these experiences? I'm starting to really look forward to leaving here!

I'm Italian and i lived in Ireland for a little while dealing with the good things as much as the bad things. I moved to different towns (not just Dublin!) and villages. Pretty aware about the cliques and stereotypes but those faded down the more i got used to the real people and the real local life, like going to offices, meeting people for formal affaires, dealing with bosses and collaborators. I can tell i felt very stared myself but this didn't annoyed me at all, Irish can recognize a foreigner pretty quickly and most of them are curious about them. Nothing bad on that. Sometimes i understand it can be hard to get used to the local uses, it takes some times but then it's all fine.
    But i agree with you in one point: visit a place is something, living there is something else.
    Obviously if you go in a european metropolis you should expect some chaos, pollution and mess... It's wise to not follow the wave on those cases and not to stick in the same places all the time. I remember Dublin has some areas very involved into fashionable/poshy styled things, but that's what you can get in any big city actually, so in the big italians cities. Especially those linked to the big fashion deal, but you should be aware that those vagues changes sistematically every season and they don't apply to all the people everywhere. I can tell i didn't liked too much the viking-like fashion style or the pijamas party style wich was a big thing in the uptown :D But again, i'm not a fashion-person myself and i don't focus too much on this kind of things either :)
    A last very important thing before you decide to move somewhere is to get informed before moving. Get informed about the local culture, get used to know the people, in what they like, in what they do in how their society works. This helps a lot to feel way more comfortable once you get there. I knew the irish history and the irish culture before moving and i loved it, also got in touch with irish friends, so most of the things i found there weren't unexpected.
    However if you have some question to pose or things you wanna talk about i'd be very glad to help :)
    Cheers! Saluti!

PS: I don't wear pink! :D

• Advertisement

An old thread resurrected. Before it gets locked, I just read the OP. WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Just learning Italian , i want to visit and spend some time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The cops in Italy are something else. Or at least the ones I saw anyway. This was in San Remo.

OMG. I was in a bar looking out the window as you do, and then suddenly, this entourage arrived with the lights and all. Out popped the cops. Aviator glasses, (and this was at night ha ha), and stopped a car. It was great entertainment. Those cops are manicured to the Nth degree, and they know it. Great free show for me anyway!

Then I was in Malcesine on Lake Garda, and the locals were great fun once they knew you were OK if you get me. It is a bit touristy but I was there in March, quiet enough and had a great laugh in the restaurant with the owners. EVENTUALLY!! That's business.

As someone else said, if you want to know me, come and live with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Who drags up a 5 yr old thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

irishgeo wrote: »

An Italian in Ireland who Googled "hate Italians"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Lanaier wrote: »

As for staring, I used to live in the sticks in western China.
    You think staring is bad in Italy?
    Crowds of people used to follow me around when I went outside.
    Want to have a quite bowl of noodles? Prepare for the whole room to be staring at you like a deer caught in a headlight.

I concur.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 smarty_mcfly

someone who's fond of recycling!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Ah the classic " I hate Italians & they look like homosexuals" thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

A newbie from Italy who was searching google to see who hate his country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Most Italians I met while over there were very nice. I was a bit disappointed by the amount of very rude people. I went to a cathedral in Florence, had to go around the back to buy a ticket. So, I figure..ok, the long was ages to get my ticket. I've got it. I see a door on the same side. Walk up to it and a security guy inside there flipped out. Cursing me out.

That was only one incident and I was only there for 4 days!!

Also, the scum trying to con people at the train station. Boo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Blackpitts wrote: »
    +1.
    I really don't understand why people go to foreign countries expecting foreign people to understand them and not viceversa.
    This is the same attitude that many English people have when they travel just because they always think that they own the place. I'm sorry but the british empire ended a long time ago.

I think irish people would be annoyed if I start to speak in italian to them here in Dublin. Any people should be bothered in learning at least few basic sentences before going to live abroad, this is what I did when i moved here.

anyway, the OP was more annoyed at the staring, the bad smell, the omosexual way to dress, the shops closed on sunday etc.. I don't know what her expectations were when she went there, for sure she has learnt an important lesson: if the rest of world is not like Ireland u'd better to stay at home!

You might think this only applies to non english speaking countries, but in Canada it was the same, people I knew couldnt adapt to the Canadians sense of humour or dress sense :pac: so they are in a group of irish that only ever hang out together and dont have any outside friends.
    I find us and the english have to be the least adaptable people in general

It works both ways. You can get groups of Italians in Ireland who stick together, and will only eat Italian food.
    I remember an Italian seeing me eat a bowl of porridge for breakfast, and they laughed asking me why I was eating horse food for breakfast. I asked why they dipped biscuits in milk for breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

astonaidan wrote: »
    You might think this only applies to non english speaking countries, but in Canada it was the same, people I knew couldnt adapt to the Canadians sense of humour or dress sense :pac: so they are in a group of irish that only ever hang out together and dont have any outside friends.

There you go again, drawing on what a small circle of Irish neanderthals that you knew did to make sweeping generalisations about Irish people in general.......:rolleyes:
    astonaidan wrote: »
    I find us and the english have to be the least adaptable people in general

Absolute nonsense - Speak for yourself. :mad: The Irish (and also the English incidentally, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) are demonstrably an extremely adaptable race. We have moved to many different countries all over the world and, despite what you seem to believe, have settled and integrated extremely well and, in general, are extremely successful. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

Long Gone wrote:
    Absolute nonsense - Speak for yourself. The Irish (and also the English incidentally, perhaps to a slightly lesser extent) are demonstrably an extremely adaptable race. We have moved to many different countries all over the world and, despite what you seem to believe, have settled and integrated extremely well and, in general, are extremely successful.

At thinking too highly of ourselves, evidently.
    Oh why can't them durty foreigners be as flawless as we are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

I have been to Italy several times love the people and the laid back attitude ( except when they are in cars) to describe a people as smelly is ridiculous in the extreme and childish.I love Italy and am honoured to have some Italians living here in Ireland as friends and looking forward to April when I'm heading to Rome the Eternal City for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

At thinking too highly of ourselves, evidently.
    Oh why can't them durty foreigners be as flawless as we are?

Oh fantastic post :rolleyes: - Boards.ie is obviously the better for your intellect.....

So someone putting down the Irish on a basis that is demonstrably WRONG is fine, but if anyone objects to that they're anti-foreigner ? ? GENIUS !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jjwada

Ive lived in a few European cities and one US city for extended periods.
    Lived in Rome for 2 years.
    And I will say that of all people, I have found Italians to be the most ignorant, self centred people on the planet by far.
    And as for queues ...
    I think the concept of a queue and waiting your turn is beaten out of them at birth.
    Everybody else could be waiting in a queue for ages, but an Italian will just come along, walk past the whole lot of them and straight to the top without even acknowledging there are others who have been waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 chillybilly

Long Gone wrote:
    So someone putting down the Irish on a basis that is demonstrably WRONG is fine, but if anyone objects to that they're anti-foreigner ? ? GENIUS !

I've not seen anyone putting down the Irish. At least not to a point of being called smelly, rude, self-absorbed and annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I'm not sure why there's a thread like this, but I'm a 25yo Italian and I lived in a small medieval town in the countryside in the Marche region. Everything's good and perfect, but to find a job I had to move to Rome, Milan, this kind of cities... Let's just say I preferred to leave and go work abroad. I couldn't stand most people when simply visiting Rome, imagine living in it.

And yeah, if you want to be judged by how you dress or what you eat, just go around those cafes in Ormond Quay or in Temple Bar in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Palmach

And yeah, if you want to be judged by how you dress or what you eat, just go around those cafes in Ormond Quay or in Temple Bar in Dublin.

Having lived in many countries I find any Irish person has brass neck to be criticising any other people about dress sense. I don't bother checking which desk is the check in for my flight to Ireland. Just spot the queue with the badly dressed over weight people. That will be the flight to Ireland.

Advertisement