Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU national benefit enquiry

• 22-06-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a friend coming to live with me for a while who is from an EU country. He will not be able to find a job immediately so will have to sign on the dole for brief period. I was just wondering would he be able to sign on straight away? What requirements would he have to meet? ...and please mention anything else that would be beneficial. Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

He will have to have been resident in ireland for 2 years to claim as far as i know unless he is switching his benefits from his home country

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Unless this is a new regulation then i don't know if there is a 2 yr restriction but i could be wrong. I have family that came over from the UK last February and through no fault of their own the job they'd given up their home in the UK for fell through after 2 wks so they had to sign on here. They had no issue getting welfare here until they found other work but they did check everything from the UK and the fact he had intended to work and not just come to Ireland to claim welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭hawthorne

If your friend is from the UK, he will get the dole straight ahead- he is from the Common Travel Area and satisfies the HRC.
    If he is from outside of Ireland and the UK he has to wait for two years until he can claim anything.
    If he can transfer his dole from another country- fine.Otherwise no money...

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Sue Ellen

The UK is no longer part of the common travel area since July 2009.

HRC will apply. If they have stamps from another country they can use them here as long as they work 1 week with an A stamp.

Advertisement