Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

any body got any news on steam for linux

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

The absolute only thing preventing me from fully moving to ubuntu is that I cant play many (any?) games on it. I run a ubuntu virtual machine on windows 7 and would really love to do the switcheroo and run virtual windows on top of linux, but until there's more robust support for gaming i'll be shotgun wedded to windows for the forseeable future!

What I don't get is that surely a large percentage of developers play games and develop on linux.. so what makes it such a bad idea to support as a platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Because everyone's linux is slightly different, and it's normal to mess around with your system files and even recompile your own kernel. That's without even getting into the whole nightmare of graphics/sound on linux :p This isn't necessarily linuxes fault of course, just the way things are.

I have written lots of code for linux, but it was never targetted at the desktop. Always for stuff running on servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

The absolute only thing preventing me from fully moving to ubuntu is that I cant play many (any?) games on it. I run a ubuntu virtual machine on windows 7 and would really love to do the switcheroo and run virtual windows on top of linux, but until there's more robust support for gaming i'll be shotgun wedded to windows for the forseeable future!

What I don't get is that surely a large percentage of developers play games and develop on linux.. so what makes it such a bad idea to support as a platform?

1) Virtual Machine would never be an option for gaming. A VM cant access the hardware as fast as native, besides you are already splitting extra resources for the 'host' OS.

2) While Linux never took off can be down to the rise of the DirectX API and how popular Windows became. DirectX locked the developer in to having their games only work on Windows (and now Xbox). But then you have other consoles such as the Playstation which use OpenGL instead. Now comes which is faster? DX or OpenGL and over time OpenGL has caught up and with the creation of the Unity Game Engine we see oh so many upstart dev's using something affordable to hit all the major platforms in one move.

The OpenGL API is also used in your smart phones (iOS and Android) There is also WebGL for the web.

Finally, as mentioned above, Windows is top dog, as a developer who needs to make money off my products. I need to hit the platform with the most users. So Windows was always number one but that is changing as games are developed to be OpenGL, look at Id's RAGE, it does not use DX what so ever but OpenGL (even though its not available on linux but is on Mac). As for Metro. The Windows version uses DX11 and the Linux/Mac build using OpenGL. To them these releases shows their confidence in putting out a game not locked to DX11 and to get more people on various platforms to play their game. So give em feedback!

If I was to make a game (me and a few folks from my course are thinking about it) we all already agree to use open standards to hit the nail on the head and get it out on Windows/Linux/Mac and even PS4. Major dev's are also thinking the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    1) Virtual Machine would never be an option for gaming. A VM cant access the hardware as fast as native, besides you are already splitting extra resources for the 'host' OS.

Oh yes totally agree, what I meant was that I would love to be able to do it, but it's just not possible, hence why I'll be on windows for the foreseeable future.

I would also love for linux to magically become a well supported gaming platform so that I could just completely ditch windows but that is just not going to happen.

Again you're totally correct with the assessment of the market in terms of the rise of windows as the majority pc gaming platform but it is a crying shame is all!

Must admit I am keen to see how this steambox performs (in market terms) though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Must admit I am keen to see how this steambox performs (in market terms) though.

I would love to see aswell how much of the cost they will get down by mass produced systems and will it be cost efficient to mask your own steam box

• Advertisement

#steamsaleon

So! What games are everyone playing on Linux at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

So! What games are everyone playing on Linux at the moment?

Football manager 2014. Taking up way to much time that I should be using to study

steam box packed and out on the first mail truck on friday.
    steam os available for the download this friday the 13th as well.
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTU0MTE

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

We’ve had to make the difficult decision to limit our beta to the U.S. only, because of regulatory hurdles.

Any ideas what this is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Probably something similar to the issue that the raspberryPi had when the first batch was being shipped...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Any ideas what this is about?

Pretty sure getting the CE mark is a pain in the arse. I'm just guessing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Khannie wrote: »
    Pretty sure getting the CE mark is a pain in the arse. I'm just guessing though.

Would that have affected the sending out of the 'test' devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Beta testers probably have to sign legal documents relating to disclosure, publicity etc. Doing that across multiple legal systems is going to be harder than restricting it to one

I'm guessing

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

i would say the steam os will go live at 8, companys ussauly try and put new products out at 12
    8 here is 12 Washington time
    i was wrong

fun fact: valve only have like 330 employees but worth over 2.5billion.
    making each employee worth $7,575757.576

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/announcements/detail/1927836595762715926

anybody try it out yet.

I cant atm , have amd graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,243 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Anyone tried out the SteamOS yet? Would be interested to hear some feedback on it, although I know its only a beta.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Haven't tried it myself. Debian based. Short review here. Looks pretty decent.

If they got netflix integration somehow, that would be superb.

• Advertisement

Going to try it out on a VM this week but I wont replace my OS with it. Still a lover of Solydk which is Debian so it's all good! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

I don't see the point of trying it now when I have a perfectly good Ubuntu install that does everything I need (including steam). It's very very unlikely to be my primary desktop and I already have a windows install I don't bother to boot into

Going to try it out on a VM this week but I wont replace my OS with it. Still a lover of Solydk which is Debian so it's all good! :D
    tell us how you get on :)

LINUX boys , l4d2 is free as in free beer till tomorrow. You have to install it and if you do , you keep it for good.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/550

unfortunately , there is a whole system crash at the moment (probable related)

Never got round to playing with Steam OS but there are loads of video's on it. Its built on Debian and future steam machines will use AMD CPUs and GPUs too. So as a Solyd user with AMD hardware...I am happy!

steam stats

286855.png

Steam OS isn't listed yet!

Grudaire wrote: »
    Steam OS isn't listed yet!
    50 million users of steam - 300 steam machines
    way to small. what lets say 5000 steam os people.. thats 0.0001% way to small

bpb101 wrote: »
    50 million users of steam - 300 steam machines
    way to small. what lets say 5000 steam os people.. thats 0.0001% way to small

Yeah I was wondering whether it would show up as Debian or SteamOS.

But now that you mention it to get to 0.1% you would need 50,000 people to manually install the OS... definitely optimistic :pac:

• Advertisement

Grudaire wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering whether it would show up as Debian or SteamOS.

But now that you mention it to get to 0.1% you would need 50,000 people to manually install the OS... definitely optimistic :pac:
    also , steam os was released in mid december, prob too late for the stats survey

Advertisement