Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

any body got any news on steam for linux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

bpb101 wrote: »
    its the general loading of the web browers is my problem. AFAIK the one at the moment is chrome (chrome modified ) maybe built form chromium web browser project

Yep. Steam's in house browser is based on webkit. Not sure if it is indeed native webkit or chromium but its either one or the other. With the lack of video in the steam client's store is down to the fact that it relies on a flash plugin as seen on the Windows and Mac builds. So they will either change that to direct to using flash installed on your linux os in the future or valve are pushing towards using HTML5 tags for its videos in the future which removes flash all together from use in the client. Either way it will be resolved by release.. if not.. *facepalm*.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Yep. Steam's in house browser is based on webkit. Not sure if it is indeed native webkit or chromium but its either one or the other. With the lack of video in the steam client's store is down to the fact that it relies on a flash plugin as seen on the Windows and Mac builds. So they will either change that to direct to using flash installed on your linux os in the future or valve are pushing towards using HTML5 tags for its videos in the future which removes flash all together from use in the client. Either way it will be resolved by release.. if not.. *facepalm*.
    i have a very funny fealing you have linux 64 bit.
    This is a bug with the 64 bit version only. Steam for linux is for 32 bit machines only atm. there should be a little icon on the top bar for steam as well , but this is only on the 32 bit as of now.

^ ofc Im 64bit. Dem bits.

whats the big game missing on linux?

Everybody knows its
    THE EUROPEAN TRUCK DRIVING SIMULATOR 2.

A linux port is nearly ready
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI3MzM

I wish Valve hurried up with Left4Dead2. I only have a select few games and some demos that run on linux. Did play through the 2 Penumbra games on linux. First games i played from start to finish under linux.

• Advertisement

I wish Valve hurried up with Left4Dead2. I only have a select few games and some demos that run on linux. Did play through the 2 Penumbra games on linux. First games i played from start to finish under linux.
    l4d2 is ported , their holding back afaik till official release.

yeah I know. Hope we get portal/halflife2 and the other source games soon too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

yeah I know. Hope we get portal/halflife2 and the other source games soon too

Would love that too. Have most of the source games on my windows install but I find alot of the time I can't be bothered to reboot just to play them

i would presume all games with source 2 will have full linux support
    Hoping for CS. When L4d2 and others come out im going to un-install them on the windows.

Which CS? 1.6/Source/GO?

• Advertisement

Which CS? 1.6/Source/GO?
    CS:GO

look at this screen-shot from my update manager
    236162.jpg

CS:GO is a must. Boards Linux Irish team anyone?

ERMERGERD... PPA <3

CS:GO is a must. Boards Linux Irish team anyone?

ERMERGERD... PPA <3
    what ? :L

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

http://blog.scssoft.com/2013/01/linux-is-close.html
    Finally today we see the light at the end of the tunnel - Euro Truck Simulator 2 Linux port is almost finished. Very soon we should be able to start beta testing it.

Soon they hope to have it on Steam .....

http://blog.scssoft.com/2013/01/linux-is-close.html

Soon they hope to have it on Steam .....

twas greenlite awhile ago , i believe i voted on it for the shear reason it had linux support. Dont care for cars or trucks or any other driving device.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

matrim wrote: »
    Looks like it could be good
    all of these games seam to be all 2D , There are only a few top end games on linux still.
    Team fortress
    Serious Sam
    Red Orhcestra ( although quite old)
    Killing Floor.

Although some indie games are good until more of these A1 titles come to steam for linux , we will always be left behind.

• Advertisement

a game comes to Linux because of steam
    Phoronix has the story

serious sam in the box for 11 quid
    found on my travels

Very tempting! It was pretty fun to play.

this seams to be the new place where frank is posting updates. He just keeps editing the post.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/846941710613226437/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

did anybody else here on linux get dota 2 gifts? - from steam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Currently have an issue with Steam on Linux.

When I open the application, it's fine. When I go to full screen, it gets glitchy, and doesn't display properly/at all.

Using an AMD GPU, have had issues before with Linux and display issues, but it's been down to propritary drivers.

Currently have an issue with Steam on Linux.

When I open the application, it's fine. When I go to full screen, it gets glitchy, and doesn't display properly/at all.

Using an AMD GPU, have had issues before with Linux and display issues, but it's been down to propritary drivers.
    Report bugs here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Will report when I get home, and can recreate actual bug.

Cheers.

• Advertisement

counter strike and half life is now to linux
    its counter strike 1.6 and the original half life
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4MzU
    and also
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTI4MzE

http://cdr.xpaw.ru/linux/

edit ,HL and CS is on linux , not is coming

Advertisement