Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

• 23-11-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Saw this on the UL forum, thought it might be a good idea to start one on the NUIG forum!
    Just basically post here what kind of a day you had in college! Whether it was a crappy 3 hour lecture you endured, spent the day in the oven of a library or hung around the college bar all day! Whatever.... you get the idea! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

spent the day in the oven of a library
    I wouldn't mind spending the day in the library,if i could get a fcuking seat!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Don't wanna be pedantic but..."bitch" means.... ah never mind.

I got up early. My bus to college broke down but I still got there at a reasonable time. I then went to an interesting talk by an esteemed psychologist.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

Stupid lecturers who talk way too fast and change slides before anyone has the notes taken down, and then they tell you the notes wont be on blackboard!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

Not much annoys me - but I get slightly irked by lecturers who go over time. One time the lecturer was babbling on until 10 past the hour, and the people coming in for another lecture after appeared to be quite confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭click_here!!!

There's this one lecturer we have for first year maths who laughs at the most mundane stuff. It's impossible to understand what he's doing or to take him seriously, but he'd put you in a good mood I suppose.

I can't really think of anything else infuriating about NUIG, but I suppose I wasn't around here for long;).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

I was supposed to hand an essay into my 10 o clock lecture this morning... arrived into pc suite at half nine to print it.. finally got a computer at around 10 and didnt have any print credit.... so i got credit and queued again, eventually when i got my essay printed i didnt have a stapler. So I bought one any eventually stormed into my lecture at 10.50

Rant Over

The library steward's desk has a stapler you can use for free.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

fecking undergrads. That is all. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

fecking undergrads. That is all. :P
    you were an undergrad once, remember? :P

fecking dossers on the computer suites. two girls logged in, put some copies in front of the monitor, then walked off somewhere to probably get tea. didn't come back for about 45 mins, all the while 3 or 4 people waiting in queue to get on the computer suites. if i was waiting, i'd just have logged them off and threw their stuff aside :mad: feck them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

So sick of going into computer suites where retards deicide to listen to music really loudly! Are they that stupid to think that everyone can't hear the music too!! Drives me insane! Or the idiots who watch south park etc and constantly laugh out loud! God just go home and watch it! :mad:

• Advertisement

niamhocxox wrote: »
    So sick of going into computer suites where retards deicide to listen to music really loudly! Are they that stupid to think that everyone can't hear the music too!! Drives me insane! Or the idiots who watch south park etc and constantly laugh out loud! God just go home and watch it! :mad:
    fecker beside me this morning was playing music loudly:mad: oh well, if he wants to be deaf that's his problem but don't make me deaf as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

The price of every meal in Friars, Smokeys and The Bialann needs to be cut by at least a euro to make it reasonable. In friars its €.79 for an apple?!?

Sofas need to be brought back where Starbucks is now

They need to shift the books over from the middle of each floor of the library to the outside, that would block out the sometimes ridiculous sun.

Reading room needs plugs on the desks like the library.

Someone needs to tell people to shut the hell up in the study areas in Cairnes.

Rant/Bitch over... Phew

dmcg90 wrote: »
    The price of every meal in Friars, Smokeys and The Bialann needs to be cut by at least a euro to make it reasonable. In friars its €.79 for an apple?!?

In The Bialann it costs about €6.30 for a sandwich, crisps and an orange juice. You could buy basically the same thing in Tesco for €2.50.
    niamhocxox wrote: »
    So sick of going into computer suites where retards decide to listen to music really loudly! Are they that stupid to think that everyone can't hear the music too!! Drives me insane! Or the idiots who watch south park etc and constantly laugh out loud! God just go home and watch it! :mad:

There are signs that say something like "These computers are for serious academic use only." You'd feel like moving the signs right on front of them, but I never have the courage.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Can't get a seat in the library,people leaving closed notebooks on a spare desk then heading of for an hour.
    As previously stated mp3 players on full blast in pc suites and folks on facebook etc during a lecture v v annoying

beagle001 wrote: »
    Can't get a seat in the library,people leaving closed notebooks on a spare desk then heading of for an hour.
    this was rampant in the reading room last year, except they'd just leave a copy...my brother saw this, and decided to move the copy away (if they had nothing else there like a jacket or bag) so that someone else could get a seat. if i see nothing else but a copy, i do the same. tell them to feck off if they come back

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cr0bar

Also the parking arrangements for students irks me - it's like it hasn't changed in a decade. Back then hardly any students had cars so it was grand. Now more and more have wheels. The upside is I'm always in college now at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You want an apple to cost -€.21?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Also, is an apple even a "meal?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Nuigforce wrote: »
    I was supposed to hand an essay into my 10 o clock lecture this morning... arrived into pc suite at half nine to print it.. finally got a computer at around 10 and didnt have any print credit.... so i got credit and queued again, eventually when i got my essay printed i didnt have a stapler. So I bought one any eventually stormed into my lecture at 10.50

Rant Over
    ...?
    Print?
    Email it surely?
    Timestamped, reasonable identify verification, saving paper, free and faster etc.???
    Or is the lecturer fond of tree flesh/afraid of compooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

+1 on the people who come in, dump their stuff and then leave for the entire day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Zillah wrote: »
    You want an apple to cost -€.21?

Is an apple a meal?

No. I clearly said the price of a 'meal'.

Should have been clearer that the apple was a separate point mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Why can't an apple be a meal? In some countries an apple could feed a family of four for a week! And they would then plant it for an apple tree.

****ing students - don't know how well off they are. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

po0k wrote: »
    ...?
    Print?
    Email it surely?
    Timestamped, reasonable identify verification, saving paper, free and faster etc.???
    Or is the lecturer fond of tree flesh/afraid of compooters?
    Had to be handed in:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Also, is an apple even a "meal?"

It probably has more nutritional value than most student meals.
    Is an apple a meal?

No. I clearly said the price of a 'meal'.

Should have been clearer that the apple was a separate point mind.

Or, y'know, just take a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Nuigforce wrote: »
    Had to be handed in:confused:
    Arbornecrophiles are a strange breed

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

Ficheall wrote: »
    Why can't an apple be a meal? In some countries an apple could feed a family of four for a week! And they would then plant it for an apple tree.

****ing students - don't know how well off they are. :mad:

Would love to know what your problem is with bashing students? Aren't you a student?

sillybird wrote: »
    Would love to know what your problem is with bashing students? Aren't you a student?

Woah! I have no problem with bashing students.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

I see that from your posts.

Look, love, the post about the apple was clearly tongue in cheek.
    The family of four referred to, for starters, would clearly not survive on an apple for a week. They would be delighted, I'm sure, to receive said apple, and to taste something that wasn't complete ****, and it would do them the world of good to get a bit of the apple, important vitamins etc, but no - a meal it is not. Also the bit about planting the remains is clearly bollocks. The poor people in the hypothetical situation probably don't live anywhere where an apple tree would grow - crappy soil, lack of rain, too hot etc. And even if by some miracle it did grow, it would be many years before the tree produced any fruit that they could eat - the family would long before have died of starvation and disease. Not to mention the fighting that such a food source would lead to - people would kill each other for control of that tree, whose wood could be used to build stuff, and further seeds could then perhaps be used to grow an entire orchard. There would be so much bloodshed.
    If the family could open their eyes and look ahead beyond their ravenous hunger and see the destruction their apple might lead to, I'm sure they would not thank you for your 79cent apple, and be only too happy to return it to the needy students.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Ficheall wrote: »
    Look, love, the post about the apple was clearly tongue in cheek.
    The family of four referred to, for starters, would clearly not survive on an apple for a week. They would be delighted, I'm sure, to receive said apple, and to taste something that wasn't complete ****, and it would do them the world of good to get a bit of the apple, important vitamins etc, but no - a meal it is not. Also the bit about planting the remains is clearly bollocks. The poor people in the hypothetical situation probably don't live anywhere where an apple tree would grow - crappy soil, lack of rain, too hot etc. And even if by some miracle it did grow, it would be many years before the tree produced any fruit that they could eat - the family would long before have died of starvation and disease. Not to mention the fighting that such a food source would lead to - people would kill each other for control of that tree, whose wood could be used to build stuff, and further seeds could then perhaps be used to grow an entire orchard. There would be so much bloodshed.
    If the family could open their eyes and look ahead beyond their ravenous hunger and see the destruction their apple might lead to, I'm sure they would not thank you for your 79cent apple, and be only too happy to return it to the needy students.

And this is why I go to chess on Wednesdays.

/shameless plug

Advertisement