Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild goats in Ireland ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rudy Jakma

When exactly were goats introduced, released or escaped and now feral ? Does anyone know ?
    The Puck festival in Killorglin Co. Kerry is thought to be of pre-Christian origin. So it would seem that goats already were living in the wild then.
    I have seen wild goats on the Iveragh peninsula on more than one occasion, even last week at the roadside not far from Cahersiveen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Rudy Jakma wrote: »
    When exactly were goats introduced, released or escaped and now feral ? Does anyone know ?
    According to this link from mecksimay a few posts back, fairly recent research indicates they walked here across a land bridge from the continent, which would make them a native species.
    IMO they are a bit like street pigeons, ie they were here all along, but because they adapted well to living near humans, and because various strains were domesticated at various times, and over time certain feral individuals returned back to the wild, we assume that they are all just "feral".
    However, if a certain representative population has been living wild all along, then it's more complicated than just saying that they are farm animals turned feral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

The burren is riddeled with them, There is a herd of about 90 of them living on the mountain behind my house and I see them every day, they dont eat much but they are awful fec**rs for knocking walls :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Watching Lesser Spotted Ulster last night on UTV, a woman mentioned that she had seen wild goats in her youth in her area ( forget where, Tyrone, Down wherever ).

Has anyone ever seen wild goats in Ireland and if they are any left, are they indigenous or where they ones who just became free of their keepers and developed from there ?

Theres plenty around glendalough. The other place I have seen one or two was on the peak overlooking loch Bray lower in the dublin mountains.

• Advertisement
Advertisement