Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Catholic Church's Eucharistic Congress 2012

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Hazys wrote: »
    These holier than thou ignorant Atheists, should take a leaf out of Louis CK's book and try and learn about the Church instead of making childish jokes about people's beliefs:

Firstly let me say that "holier than thou atheists " is a fackin' stupid thing to say.
    Then let me says that you will find that a large amount of Irish atheists are lapsed catholics who have arrived at their atheistic world view by knowing far to much about that particular nasty religion. I know i did:)
    I make childish jokes about childish beliefs not at those who hold them seeing as i also held them.(as a child!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Firstly let me say that "holier than thou atheists " is a fackin' stupid thing to say.
    Then let me says that you will find that a large amount of Irish atheists are lapsed catholics who have arrived at their atheistic world view by knowing far to much about that particular nasty religion. I know i did:)
    I make childish jokes about childish beliefs not at those who hold them seeing as i also held them.(as a child!)

Did you watch the video....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

bleg wrote: »
    Did you watch the video....

Whoops. I did now. Apple-oggies...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Wonder what the age profile will be at this event. Anyone taking bets that the vast majority of attendees will be over 50?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

gurramok wrote: »
    Wonder what the age profile will be at this event. Anyone taking bets that the vast majority of attendees will be over 50?

yeah the vast majority will be but nevertheless the average age will still be 21!

• Advertisement

forfuxsake wrote: »
    yeah the vast majority will be but nevertheless the average age will still be 21!

The 'Silver' Congress it should be renamed to. :)

The 'Silver' Congress it should be renamed to. :)

or Eurfantastic Congress to try and get a younger crowd

or Eurfantastic Congress to try and get a younger crowd

Will Jedward be the opening Revelation to attract them?

Will Jedward be the opening Revelation to attract them?

they ain't that stupid

they ain't that stupid

Have you seen their hair? I wonder will many fuddie duddies turn up Jedward style at the congress. Perhaps there will be a mass Exodus upon seeing the opening act perform :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

citizens arrest on ratzinger anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

My parents told me of a mass they attended in Croke Park for the Pioneer Society in the 70's, said it was packed.
    Roll on a few decades & the Pioneers almost went to the wall last year.
    Hopefully the same will be true of the future Catholic Church.

citizens arrest on ratzinger anyone?

How, throw some holy water on him? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

How, throw some holy water on him? :P

going on what his cult teaches the 'holy' water would burn him

going on what his cult teaches the 'holy' water would burn him

He a vamp? A case for Buffy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 BlackCatMeoww

Become a protestant? Sure the church of England is in a worse shape than the Catholic church. The cofi is in even worse shape again thanks to "investing" in aib/boi shares.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Become a protestant? Sure the church of England is in a worse shape than the Catholic church. The cofi is in even worse shape again thanks to "investing" in aib/boi shares.
    I suppose,the catholic church will never be in a bad financial state due to the way they mug pensioners.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.

I think this response is class, classic Keith!

On pensioners, yes they have been bribed. Oh why oh why does one have to pay a fiver a go to have a mass said for a loved one?

FFS, this is the most wealthiest organisation on the planet and they charge a fiver for a name to be mentioned at altar for 'our prayers'. Money is the root of all evil and is rotten within the RCC.

KeithAFC wrote: »
    It seems to me there is a deep distrust within the Catholic Church amongst its members and many people rethinking about the faith. Why not become a Protestant? Could be another option if you disagree with the Church now.

I think this response is class, classic Keith!

On pensioners, yes they have been bribed. Oh why oh why does one have to pay a fiver a go to have a mass said for a loved one?

FFS, this is the most wealthiest organisation on the planet and they charge a fiver for a name to be mentioned at altar for 'our prayers'. Money is the root of all evil and is rotten within the RCC.

I suppose Switzerland is evil too? Wealth is not inherently evil.

I suppose Switzerland is evil too? Wealth is not inherently evil.

Switzerland ain't a religious institution preaching all goodness. The Vatican is.

So, have you come up with an excuse why a priest charges for a mass to be said for a loved one? Ya know the loved one is dead so a fiver is the charge for something good to happen to the soul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

So, have you come up with an excuse why a priest charges for a mass to be said for a loved one? Ya know the loved one is dead so a fiver is the charge for something good to happen to the soul.

You don't get it.

Due to overpopulation in heaven, God has implemented a system whereby the souls whose relatives don't get a mass said for them in any given calendar year get sent to Hell once the year has elapsed. For this reason it is essential that mass be said for everyone in order to keep them in tunics, harps and clouds.

This system may seem cruel but you must understand that heaven is a finite resource and thus subject to the rules of economics. For this reason, God in his infinite Keynesian wisdom, has chosen to maximise his profits given the market conditions.

Unfortunately, this presents a problem in a heaven where currency doesn't exist. For God to exploit this imbalance between supply and demand, the transactions must happen on earth, where we discovered the idea of using money a long time ago.

This is all very logical when you think about. God is a rationalist and indulgences and mass-charges are simply a consequence of this. He's also a saver, having studied Austrian economics, so he needs the RCC to hoard all of his money but this is getting slightly off-topic now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skyflyer

That would be an ecumenical matter! :pac:

Switzerland ain't a religious institution preaching all goodness. The Vatican is.

One can tell you've never had dealings with a priest. The donation for a Mass is optional. Always has been. Demanding payment for a Mass would be a grave sin IMO as it undermines the purpose of the Mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

Unlike the Roman Catholic Church which lost its bo~~ix investing in the Mafia Controlled Banco Ambrosio.

Advertisement