Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

lugha wrote: »
    Calm yourself laddie!
    You are paying it to a bank, not into the government coffers.

Are you proposing that we go act nicely ask the banks (our banks!) to simply hand over the stamp duty portion of what their customers pay as part of the mortgage?

Whut????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Fine Gael missed a trick when they turned down Vincent Browne. Now there is a man who knows how to tell that troika where to get off. I suppose George Lee could be Taoiseach by now if he hadn't found politics a bit beyond his capabilities.

Here it is again for anyone that missed it earlier.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-deputy-on-e110000-cant-take-wage-cut-1646893.html

That's what your beloved Fine Gael actually think about doing their bit for Ireland.

Bit hypocritical of the man spearheading this campaign with threats of taking money forcibly from the public, when he won't even give up any of his own vast salary because of his own 'personal circumstances'

Good for the goose, and all that lark.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

*Sigh*

Its impossible to make the FG/labour tax advocacies here see the light.
    Let them continue with their spin.

I'm not paying twice and so far 1.3 million is not paying either.
    End of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

I dont know your pesonal circumstances but the people I refer to would be more than capable of helping get this country back on track with their own money.

28% of all wealth in Ireland is owned by the top 1%.

I want to break that down to simpler numbers, 1% of the population is approx 36'000 adults.
    28% of the nations wealth is €130 billion
    So on average there is 36'000 people with a bank balance of 3.8 million, approximately.
    These people are also expected to pay €100. Is that fair or just? is that what a democratic republic is about?

Well I'm definitely not in that demographic, that's for sure! A nice thought.

I'd agree that a tax on the obscenely wealthy might not be a bad idea but I'd be loathe to think that some of them might not deserve to bail everyone else out and would be doing so anyway. Ideally, the people who got us into this mess should be getting us out of it. Anyway, wishful thinking never got us anywhere I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Biggins wrote: »
    *Sigh*

Its impossible to make the spin artists here see the light.

End of story.

In fairness Biggins you mis-read the details on the site you referenced. The sliding scale going up tp 6% is for sites. The residential property rate is effectively 1%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

why dont we get rid of all the foreigners who havent been able to find a job for 3 months and send them back home instead of claiming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

alastair wrote: »
    Will it be a HUGE uprising, in the same vein as the HUGE national protest at the National Stadium?

If you bothered to look into the protest and the organisation you would realise there is funding set aside for any lawyers or legal costs for any of the members brought to court. There will also be protesters at any court clogging up the entire building when a court case for non-payment is brought.

further more the National Stadium rally was such a success that the capacity of the stadium was reached with a further one thousand people outside. What have you done recently, twat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Go and bone up on your facts - then come back to us will you?

The following are the rates of stamp duty which apply to sites and land in Ireland:

1% for FIRST time buyers ONLY!

The rest? 6%

Don't take my word for it!

See: http://www.propertyfile.net/stampduty.htm

The current rate of stamp duty on residential propery is 1%.
    Don't take my word for it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/buying_a_home/stamp_duty.html

baldymac wrote: »
    why dont we get rid of all the foreigners who havent been able to find a job for 3 months and send them back home instead of claiming

Foreigner bashing will get us nowhere but the gutter.

Leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

*Sigh*

Its impossible to make the FG/labour tax advocacies here see the light.

End of story.

Not quite the end. I am still saying that 58% will have paid by the 31st the same as I said a month ago. I'm inviting anyone interested to make their prediction now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Lots of posters on the side of the roads saying ''don't register, don't pay. No one is removing them either.

Not quite the end. I am still saying that 58% will have paid by the 31st the same as I said a month ago. I'm inviting anyone interested to make their prediction now.

-38%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

In fairness Biggins you mis-read the details on the site you referenced. The sliding scale going up tp 6% is for sites. The residential property rate is effectively 1%.

Its you who need to read up. I paid 22k stamp duty in 2006. That was no 1%.
    And yes I had to borrow it. Where else was I going to get it. So I am paying it back over 25 years and it will cost in excess of 40k....Spin it how you like, its an ongoing property tax that I have to pay. :mad:

I knew I was signing up to that. I did not and will not sign up to a second property tax on top of it. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

This Government wasn't in power during the boom times. It's like giving one business €10,000 an then refusing to give any other business more money because that one business was terrible.
    The same local authority is there.But saying that if I could be assured,not just by saying you are going to use this money for a purpose,but by having a business plan showing how you are going to use this money,and I'm not asking that it be used on my road/area as I would be agreeable to assisting the bigger picture.However as far as I'm concerned I have only been informed in a very vague way that this money will be used for "local services". Leaves a lot of room for money to be used for something other than what I had intended it to be used for..As before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Well I'm definitely not in that demographic, that's for sure! A nice thought.

I'd agree that a tax on the obscenely wealthy might not be a bad idea but I'd be loathe to think that some of them might not deserve to bail everyone else out and would be doing so anyway. Ideally, the people who got us into this mess should be getting us out of it. Anyway, wishful thinking never got us anywhere I suppose.

agreed.
    We cant rely on the people that got us here righting their wrongs, sure Bertie has just resigned. David Drumm lives in Cape Cod. Sean Fitzpatrick is on unemployment benifit (poor, poor Seanie) and the rest of the golden circle are sipping champers in yachts off the cost of Africa. I do quite like you CAB suggestion though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

Ghandee wrote: »

Leave it there.

do you know how much they sent back to there own countries instead of here , not millions but billions

-38%
    Minus 38%? :eek:

That's optimism:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FROM 2010.

Got that? Please tell me you got that?

Right....

Previously - for those that bought their home prior to 2010 (and during the Celtic period partly) - the rate's were different and as such - are you still with me? - MUCH higher and so people were/are paying those rates inbuilt into their mortgage re-payments because they (the vast bulk of Ireland buyers I suspect) purchased a lot of homes then.

Got it?

Need further back-up to those higher rates prior to 2010?

http://www.sellityourself.ie/property_news/new_stamp_duty_budget_2008.html

Note the 7%
    1% higher than Ming actually stated too!

Lots of posters on the side of the roads saying ''don't register, don't pay. No one is removing them either.
    Another council service that needs to be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

alastair wrote: »
    You're not getting anything extra for the tax - who suggested you were? It's an attempt to make up for a deficit that currently exists. As to the services that your local authority provides, and how much they cost - again - check your local authorities website - their accounts are publically available.
    You've answered my question..Didn't get anything last time,won't get anything this time. Yet again those who have not contributed ever are not expected to contribute now. I refuse to be a fool..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

And yes I had to borrow it. Where else was I going to get it. So I am paying it back over 25 years and it will cost in excess of 40k....Spin it how you like, its an ongoing property tax that I have to pay. :mad:

I knew I was signing up to that. I did not and will not sign up to a second property tax on top of it. :mad:

Thats a fair gripe, and there is a case for people who have bought at high stamp rates during the boom. But Biggins is aggressively evangelising Ming talking sh1te and I cant let that go

A 300k house purchase today is 3k in tax, not 37k. Not 1500 per year blah blah

Banks may have lent the stamp duty in years gone by but they certainly dont now. Its 1% up front

Aw c'mon - you borrowed the money for your stamp duty on a 25 year loan and you want to call it a property tax?

I know someone who got an equity release to bring their family on a trip to Florida. Property tax?

ffs:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Leave it there.

Unless it's "the German gamblers".

Plenty of no campaigners taking pops at these utterly fictitious individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

The dispute related to what the current rate of stamp duty is. I am very well aware that it was higher in the past, I had to pay it too.
    Spin it how you like, its an ongoing property tax that I have to pay.
    No, it is a property tax that you have paid in full in to the exchequer funds of the government of the day, (FF). You paid this tax, as most of us did with borrowed money and yes, you will be repaying that with interest for some time. But that money has long since been squandered / spend by FF.

So how do you propose that we fund local services with tax euro paid and spent 6 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Shenshen wrote: »
    It's €100, that's around €8.33 a month.

I'm finding it absolutely baffling how people can get worked up over this, yet will happily spend as much on a single drink on a night out....

Get a grip. Seriously.
    Never had the decision to make re food or heat ?Hope its always that way for you .You hav`nt a clue whats going on in this country .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

So how do you propose that we fund local services with tax euro paid and spent 6 years ago?

I propose we start by slashing all politicians pay to reasonable levels ie. max of 70k for the top job. 50k for the rest.
    Then lets have the local council list the services they intend to provide and the costs for these services. Let us see the entries for iPhones and the likes, trips to NY for paddys day etc and let the people vote/decide on what they believe are really vital services....That would be a start. And I also like to know where they intend to build a library, a park and a swimming pool in my village...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Well, you missed that point didn't you.
    If the national movement that's in action dont manage to completely overturn this then you will only have to pay that bit extra if you decide to pay at all. Remember a national movement similar to this overturned the water rates in the mid ninties and a movement like this managed to back Maggie Tatcher into withdrawal of Poll Tax in the UK.

I'm missing no point. Those who delay payment will only end up paying an extra 50% into the coffers. Nice windfall for the govt. Property taxes are happening - don't delude yourself otherwise.

And as the poll tax. I was there and refused to pay. To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen - This is no poll tax.

I propose we start by slashing all politicians pay to reasonable levels ie. max of 70k for the top job. 50k for the rest.
    Then lets have the local council list the services they intend to provide and the costs for these services. Let us see the entries for iPhones and the likes, trips to NY for paddys day etc and let the people vote/decide on what they believe are really vital services....That would be a start. And I also like to know where they intend to build a library, a park and a swimming pool in my village...

So you want to cut waste ... and get a new library, park and swimming pool in every village? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

further more the National Stadium rally was such a success that the capacity of the stadium was reached with a further one thousand people outside. What have you done recently, twat?

Heh. A movement that claims over a million behind them only has the ambition to book a venue with a capacity of 2,000 for their self proclaimed 'Huge' focal point protest. Major success alright. :rolleyes:

What have I done? I've paid my taxes rather than waste people's time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭MightyBouche

So on average there is 36'000 people with a bank balance of 3.8 million, approximately.

Are you under the impression that the wealth is kept in liquid cash in bank accounts?

The people you're referring to also pay the majority of the tax collected by the revenue every year in this country. Easy to forget that though, isn't it?

baldymac wrote: »
    do you know how much they sent back to there own countries instead of here , not millions but billions

Are you referring to the money they worked their arses off for, far harder than their Irish counterparts and indeed for less money than them? The money they paid PAYE to receive and put more of it back into the country in the form of VAT and taxes collected on rent? Who are you to tell them where their money should go?

I'm not liable for the household charge but would pay it if I were. Those opposing it are being foolishly self-serving and short sighted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement