Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Noticed a new message being displayed on the TVM today. Companion is displayed after showing the fare capping balance. Any suggestions as to what this is?

The current and apparently "Seat-of-the-Pants" software upgrade is in preparation for the introduction of Daily/Weekly Capping on Leapcard BUS transactions.

When the daily cap (approx €7 Per day/€30 Per Week) is reached no further deduction will be made from the account.

However,the cap will apply to the Card Holder's journeys only,so the companion element is then treated as a non-capped journey at the appropriate Leap Fare.

For example a Cash Payer making 3 x €2.80 Bus Journeys will pay €8.40.

A Leapcard holder making travelling alongside that Cash Payer will pay €2.45 + €2.45 + €2.10 = €7.00.

So we are slowly and painfully reaching a place where even the Crankies are going to have to pay attention....FAR too slow a process and all based upon the system actually working in an acceptable manner,which currently it is NOT doing.

However €40 Million and 10 Years of development does allow me the luxury of Living in Hope :D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Makes sense. I hadn't seen this message up until yesterday. Is capping launching soon? 30/week would be great. I'd drop the 30 day rambler just out of convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Polar101

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Makes sense. I hadn't seen this message up until yesterday. Is capping launching soon? 30/week would be great. I'd drop the 30 day rambler just out of convenience.

My current commute with Leap Card is 28 euro per week (which is why I don't generally use the card, as Travel 90 and Rambler are better value) - if they set the cap to 30 then that would be a different matter.

That sounds pretty good, so there must be a catch. I'm guessing they will have separate caps for bus, rail and Luas?

Polar101 wrote: »
    My current commute with Leap Card is 28 euro per week (which is why I don't generally use the card, as Travel 90 and Rambler are better value) - if they set the cap to 30 then that would be a different matter.

That sounds pretty good, so there must be a catch. I'm guessing they will have separate caps for bus, rail and Luas?

Correct and right,the LUAS cap is already up and running for some time now.

Those Bus figures are not verified as yet,but it will be in the €6.75-€7.25 bracket for an Adult and €2.00 - €3.00 for a Child.

I am struck by this,rather plaintive little piece from the 1999 ITIG/MVA report into Integrated Ticketing in Dublin....

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/2648-0.pdf
    The system should enable a person to buy a single ticket for a full
    journey and allow them to transfer from one bus to another or from bus to
    rail (DART/Suburban rail; LRT) within a specific period of time

Was this always going to be a step-too-far for us here in Ireland.?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Time/multi-mode based rebates are due before the years end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Wait, they are introducing bus capping without any capping fares where the user transfer from one DB route to another?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AngryLips wrote: »
    Wait, they are introducing bus capping without any capping fares where the user transfer from one DB route to another?

There may be Transfer 90 style capping or a reduced fare on the second vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Anyone else finding the leap readers (driver's wayfarer) much less sensitive lately? I find it takes an age to bring my balance on screen!

Software issue making longer read times?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's been mentioned by Alek.

It's been mentioned by Alek.
    Just to add to the mentionable stuff.

As many Leapcrad holders are finding out to their cost,the Remote Reader will only deduct a max €2.45 Fare irrespective of the point of boarding.

I cannot see why the Reader cannot be programmed to only deduct the relevant max fare from whatever point at which the Journey is when the Leapcard holder boards.

IE:If the journey is at a point where the maximum fare is €2.10 or €1.90 then the remote reader be programmed to reflect this.....Unless I am missing something I cannot see why a minor software tweak could not reflect this ?

Any opinions ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭Tow

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Any opinions ?

Yes, but the mods would delete them.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Alek, opinions depends on 1 of 2 things;

1) did nta stipulate that as a requirement
    2) is that how Dublin bus decided it was to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Got overcharged by DB on my Leap. Went through the Leap website for a refund. Told I had to call into Dublin Bus on O'Connell St. itself.
    What a joke for people not working in the city centre. Eventually had a chance to call in and DB couldn't tell from their system what bus I was on or anything. In fact I don't think they could see any of me leap details, apart from the printout i brought in. I even got my refund in cash, talk about still in the stone ages.
    Also, the customer service desk in DB has one computer amongst 3 staff but by the looks of it everything is still paper based. They really are a company stuck in a stone ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tomred1 wrote: »
    Got overcharged by DB on my Leap. Went through the Leap website for a refund. Told I had to call into Dublin Bus on O'Connell St. itself.
    What a joke for people not working in the city centre. Eventually had a chance to call in and DB couldn't tell from their system what bus I was on or anything. In fact I don't think they could see any of me leap details, apart from the printout i brought in. I even got my refund in cash, talk about still in the stone ages.
    Also, the customer service desk in DB has one computer amongst 3 staff but by the looks of it everything is still paper based. They really are a company stuck in a stone ages.
    Did you get compensated for the journey in to get your refund? they should have given you two travel 90 tickets!

Alek, opinions depends on 1 of 2 things;

1) Did nta stipulate that as a requirement
    2) Is that how Dublin bus decided it was to be used.

Not a bit of it.

The Opinions,as sought,are to reflect any worthwhile level of interest in such a reducing-maximum,which would allow for a small bit of reduction in Driver facing transactions....

The reason I would seek to bypass both of the above mentioned entities,is that the former appears totally unaware of,or uninterested in,the potential of it's own product,whilst the latter already had/has a fully functional contactless range of ticketing for it's own services anyway.

As it currently stands,I believe it will increasingly now fall to Leapcard users themselves,to dictate the pace and direction which the thing goes in...?

tomred1 wrote: »
    Got overcharged by DB on my Leap. Went through the Leap website for a refund. Told I had to call into Dublin Bus on O'Connell St. itself.....

.......Also, the customer service desk in DB has one computer amongst 3 staff but by the looks of it everything is still paper based. They really are a company stuck in a stone ages.

Tomred1,given the current issues with Leapcard/Wayfarer,could you give us a few more details of the overcharge....without getting TOO specific ;)....

Would work once the drivers no longer control changing the stages. If only that GPS auto location update took place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Will you ever be able to pay for return tickets with the leap card?

Is it something that could eventually be rolled out or is it just not compatible with the system they went for?

It's unlikely. Most Leap Fares are pitched at half the price of a return ticket or less, although some medium-long distance return tickets are under-priced relative to a single.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭n0brain3r

Does anyone know if you dip into the deposit on your Leap card and the refund when you tag off puts you back in credit again are you are prevented from using the deposit again until you add more credit? I had this happen and was just wondering was it the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

n0brain3r wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you dip into the deposit on your Leap card and the refund when you tag off puts you back in credit again are you are prevented from using the deposit again until you add more credit? I had this happen and was just wondering was it the norm.
    I would think once your balance goes above €5 you should be able to use the deposit for another single journey.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lost my leapcard today, have it registered and they're sending out a replacement. Any idea how long I'll be waiting? Says it can take up to 10 business days =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

My mam had a weird one on the way home from town this afternoon. She had a positive €1.80 balance left on her leap card and asked the bus driver for a €2.10 fare. The driver refused to issue the fare and claimed that they were no longer allowed to let leap cards go into negative balances. My mam had no choice but to pay the cash fare.

Is there any truth to this?? Or is it as I suspect was it a contrary driver on the day after a strike?

Confused driver.

BenShermin wrote: »
    My mam had a weird one on the way home from town this afternoon. She had a positive €1.80 balance left on her leap card and asked the bus driver for a €2.10 fare. The driver refused to issue the fare and claimed that they were no longer allowed to let leap cards go into negative balances. My mam had no choice but to pay the cash fare.

Is there any truth to this?? Or is it as I suspect was it a contrary driver on the day after a strike?

Since there is no conduit of communication between the NTA-Leap and Dublin Bus drivers this was a classic example of an ill-informed Driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Since there is no conduit of communication between the NTA-Leap and Dublin Bus drivers this was a classic example of an ill-informed Driver.

Since the driver is quoted as saying that they were no longer allowed to let leapcards go into negative balances then who told him of this change?

Tarabuses wrote: »
    Since the driver is quoted as saying that they were no longer allowed to let leapcards go into negative balances then who told him of this change?

That is something I think we will never find out. Dublin Bus drivers seem to love giving out disinformation. They seem to think it is to their benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Or ya know,they were never told the correct information in the first place and picked it up from colleagues who were also equally mis-informed about the subject.

Or ya know,they were never told the correct information in the first place and picked it up from colleagues who were also equally mis-informed about the subject.

Shall I post the leaflet all drivers received when the Leap Card launched? It explains everything clearly and nothings changed since then...

On the issue of correct info; I haven't encounted a driver yet who has a clue how to do a annulment after they issue the wrong fare. It's pretty ridiculous considing they have the info on how to do it for years now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JohnnyY

The driver should have taken her fare and allowed her balance to go negative. If she had validated her card on the pole (on the right as she boards), this device would have allowed her to go negative. The customer is allowed to go negative once, and then is required to add credit to the card before it can be used again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement