Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭QueenRizla

The East area rapist/Golden State Killer/original night stalker (same guy). Over 120 burgalaries/rapes/Murders in the 70’s and 80’s. They have audio, dna and a pretty good profile...but the fbi reward is only 50k, they have just released new evidence last month (description of stuff he stole). I really cannot get my head around how he hasn’t been caught, they believe he is still alive! I listen/read a lot of true crime and this one baffles me more than any. Appearently he had an unusually small penis (casefile did a really good podcast)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Thirteen years is a long time for feet to stay intact, isn't it?

Well they're protected by the shoes and socks.
    The Thinking Sideways podcast has a very good episode on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

has Katie Taylor a cock
    Mod note: Don't post in this thread again, Steve.

Buford T. Justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm leaning towards those being the feet of victims of the tsunami in 2005.

Surely you'd be getting other body parts too? Not just lots of feet. And where are their shoes?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Surely you'd be getting other body parts too? Not just lots of feet. And where are their shoes?
    Iirc, a lot of them actually had their shoes on as well. The one in link I gave certainly had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

branie2 wrote: »
    The function of the appendix

To keep surgeons in a job.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Supposedly it’s from when we used to eat grass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Iirc, a lot of them actually had their shoes on as well. The one in link I gave certainly had.

Seems to make sense that they'd be remains of victims from the 04 tsunami. Morbid thought but the force of being hit by a tsunami wave could be enough to dislocate joints. The presence of the shoes probably aids buoyancy, whilst the rest of the body settles on the sea floor, then with the ocean currents they eventually drift around the pacific to the North American continent. Considering the time since it's happened it's entirely possible for the remains to have drifted from the Indian Ocean to the Pacific. Just think of all the places the rubber ducks have been since they were lost at sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Seems to make sense that they'd be remains of victims from the 04 tsunami.

Not necessarily. They could be from anywhere, probably not that far from Canada (an early theory involved those poor souls who threw themselves off a nearby bridge). Any body ending up in the water will decompose over time. Small joints will go first (like the ankle). Lots of modern footwear will float. Hence the foot with the shoe will float off on its own. Depending on currents they will end up in particular places like this part of British Columbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

check_six wrote: »
    Not necessarily. They could be from anywhere, probably not that far from Canada (an early theory involved those poor souls who threw themselves off a nearby bridge). Any body ending up in the water will decompose over time. Small joints will go first (like the ankle). Lots of modern footwear will float. Hence the foot with the shoe will float off on its own. Depending on currents they will end up in particular places like this part of British Columbia.

Well there's that too. Ah yeah, either decompose or become fish food!

I was thinking it's a possibility as the ocean currents in the Indonesia area of the pacific loop up around by Canada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Supposedly it’s from when we used to eat grass
    Bacterial refugium, was the last theory I heard.

When you have a bad dose and evacuate at both ends some bacteria hangs on in the appendix to repopulate the gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Well there's that too. Ah yeah, either decompose or become fish food!

I was thinking it's a possibility as the ocean currents in the Indonesia area of the pacific loop up around by Canada.

What about the Malaysian airline disappearance?
    Although the timelines wouldn't match for each discovery maybe some body parts are from the downed plane?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

bear1 wrote: »
    Although the timelines wouldn't match for each discovery maybe some body parts are from the downed plane?

Doubt it, its likely the fuselage of that plane at least remained intact, the bodies would be still in there at the bottom of the sea somewhere.

:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's the bit at the end of the book with interesting extras.

The appendices of The Lord of The Ring are impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,479 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bear1 wrote: »

No the article said they had identified 8 legs which belonged to 6 known victims. Nothing suspicious about the deaths either.
    I wish they had explained how it happened though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Dave0JV wrote: »
    First ones that come into my head would be the identity of Jack the Ripper, what actually happened to Madeline McCann, and whether Lee Harvey Oswald was actually a patsy and if so, for whom

I'd recommend this book on Jack the Ripper, it looks at all the evidence available and gives a background on each victim*. it doesn't start with a theory and try to fit evidence around it.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-History-Jack-Ripper/dp/1841193976

*The number of victims is also a discussion point for Ripperologists, anywhere between 4 and 13 is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Favourite is the Marie Celeste

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

This week, my favourite unsolved mystery is how you can accept an illegal donation from abroad, lie about its intent, refuse to give it back, but somehow not see it on the news or read about it in the papers. Extremely mysterious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

keano_afc wrote: »
    This week, my favourite unsolved mystery is how you can accept an illegal donation from abroad, lie about its intent, refuse to give it back, but somehow not see it on the news or read about it in the papers. Extremely mysterious.

Ooh I'm intrigued! What is the story?

I can't remember if it's been discussed already but Spontaneous Human Combustion is always one to give me the creeps. Just after reading about a recent case in London.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-catches-fire-dies-london-street-haringey-john-nolan-70-age-police-appeal-metropolitan-a8111901.html

No signs of accelerant found either:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

I can't remember if it's been discussed already but Spontaneous Human Combustion is always one to give me the creeps.

I'm pretty certain it hasn't been touched on here, yet? Either way, thanks a lot for reminding me! :( I'd quietly managed to forget about it, over the years.

Charles Dickens described it, in Bleak House. It's been recorded, down the ages, in an array of countries and cultures. But, now, of course; 'Science has explained it' and filed it all away. Under, what is it? " The Blanket Effect "?

Nope. Sorry. Tightly wrap as many dead pigs, in carpets, as ye like. Slow smoulder them for hours. Then show me the poking out bits left. Tell me that explains it all? NO.

How does that explain the young girl who burst into flames, in a crowded dance hall. Or, this poor soul; Walking down the road?

I'd love to read the original, eye witness reports. And what they actually feed us, when all's said and done.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,343 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Stigura wrote: »
    I'm pretty certain it hasn't been touched on here, yet? Either way, thanks a lot for reminding me! :( I'd quietly managed to forget about it, over the years.

;)
    https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2056363952&query=spontaneous+combustion
    The explanation usually given is that of a human candle.

Obese drunk smoker falls asleep. Clothes smoulder. Person too drunk / carbon monoxide gets them. Then heat from burning clothes melts subcutaneous fat and acts as a wick. Takes several hours to burn the person (it's not that spontaneous) Heat rises so only top half of room destroyed, carpet , feed , even papers on the floor are undamaged.

They've done proof of concept with pig carcases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Haha, You're next!
    Infernum wrote: »

Ah, we've done that one a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

The 'Deep Freeze' murder: Who killed Anne Noblett?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42341980

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Charles Dickens described it, in Bleak House. It's been recorded, down the ages, in an array of countries and cultures. But, now, of course; 'Science has explained it' and filed it all away. Under, what is it? " The Blanket Effect "?

Nope. Sorry. Tightly wrap as many dead pigs, in carpets, as ye like. Slow smoulder them for hours. Then show me the poking out bits left. Tell me that explains it all? NO.

How does that explain the young girl who burst into flames, in a crowded dance hall. Or, this poor soul; Walking down the road?

I'd love to read the original, eye witness reports. And what they actually feed us, when all's said and done.

It's a very intriguing thing all right, and there have been several explanations I've read around it over the years. Most of them would be on the lines of blanket theory, but not all.
    In the case that was linked here, I'm wondering if it was a case of a lithium-ion battery in the man's phone catching fire?
    I have heard of lorries loaded with laptops or phone catching fire because of them, so it would be entirely possible.

Though why the public wasn't able to put out the flames but the firefighters could once they arrived, I've no idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

frag420 wrote: »
    The 'Deep Freeze' murder: Who killed Anne Noblett?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-42341980

Gosh, I'd never heard of that case before. Shades of Richard Kuklinski (though obviously not) Poor lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Gosh, I'd never heard of that case before. Shades of Richard Kuklinski (though obviously not) Poor lady.

It popped up this morning on BBC, was my first time hearing about it too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

How does that explain the young girl who burst into flames, in a crowded dance hall
    . Or, this poor soul; Walking down the road?

It's a long running urban myth thats been embellished over the years. The woman in the story did exist and she did burn to death but there's no evidence that it was SHC or that it even happened on a dancefloor.

https://skepsis.nl/newcombe/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

frag420 wrote: »
    It popped up this morning on BBC, was my first time hearing about it too!

You'd imagine it would have been easy to solve from the point of view that at that time not too many people would have had access to a freezer. Not as a household item anyway, business maybe like a butchers or something like that. Safe to assume that the ladies remains were probably taken there by car too. So a freezer AND a car would have been unusual back then.

Advertisement