Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best vehicle

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Just to go a littl emor Lo tech again

What about a Horse??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Pete M.

efla wrote: »
    Its the only guaranteed sustainable option

Think sustainability will have been replaced as a priority consideration during the zombocalypse.

Me, I'd go for a Mowag if there happened to be one standing around Finner. Would pick it up while collecting arms, or a custom armoured land rover defender like what the psni have or the unimog. They are surely an animal of a yolk.

Would carry a bike on board though, for exercise like when away from population centres and hordes of zeds. Definitely wouldn't want to be looking over me shoulder, peddlin like the clappers with some sprinters after me and glass all over the place, never mind the potholes there are knocking around these days.
    Some are so big you could drown an ass in them as a roscommonese friend of mine said the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is that the yolk they had in district 9? Looks awesome, only problem being it probably uses huge amounts of fuel. You have to keep it's fuel consumption in mind because while there'll be loads to begin with it's a finite resource.
    The very same. Your right about the fuel being a problem.
    Fuel/consumption: 220 litre fuel tank / 25 litres per hour www.casr.ca/bg-casspir.htm
    Maybe a forerunner in a convoy with fuel trucks or hook a trailer with an fuel tank onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All military vehicles have terrible fuel economy it's just the nature of the military better sure than sorry. Overall I think this makes them useless as a transport vehicle but you can't overlook the armour and weapons. If I did get my hands on some, after the fact, I'd scavenge them for the turret and guns and put the armour to other uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

if you're lucky enough to get a military vehicle My plan would be to place it behind the barricaded exit to my base,is we're breached hop in the fully gassed up tiger II tank and GTFO in epic style,it'd attract too much attention/be too wasteful except as a last resort

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Ah yes the Aul King Tiger

So Long as the Hordes dont get their paws on 5-7 Shermans / 2-3 T32's at the same time you should be fine :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Just to go a littl emor Lo tech again

What about a Horse??
    Can you ride one, well? If not your as liable to get yourself killed on it. I can't imagine the horse will take too well to the Zs, it's going to be spooked, hard to control etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I'd be collecting me a fleet of 90's model diesel stationwagons especially volvos!!!!!!!

Id have a bike and a moped stashed in the back, plenty of those will be lying around.

Reason for the old diesels is they will run off veg oil, any diesel or home heating oil.

Bike for reasons discussed and mopeds because they can be fast enough to outrun zeds and they are common enough to gather up a fair few and use them as required.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

After Sunday night's Top Gear I'm going to say the Marauder. The thing drove through a wall without a scratch, and drove away from having 7 pounds of C4 detonated under it. It had a tyre blown off the rim, but it drove away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Well the choice of transport will depend on a lot of factors, the main one for me beings: slow or fast initial infection, projected length of outbreak and where you are in it.

If the outbreak is rapid and catches the majority of the population unawares then expect here to be large caches of fuel and food ripe for the pickings. Assuming you have a safe unobstructed route out of the city/town then I would take a large 4WD vehicle (and as per Manic Morans suggestion strap a bicycle to the back). It would be important to ensure that this vehicle had some sort of winch on it to help clear the inevitable wrecks and obstacles that you will encounter. It is important to note that in such a situation the undead will not be your only concern, desperate panicking people will more than likely try and relieve you of your transport which would be another plus for a large vehicle over a bike in this regard.

For a slow slid into social collapse I would choose a bike if I was stupid enough not to have gotten out earlier. In this situation the resources needed to fuel a vehicle will more than likely will have been depleted around the country. While not an ideal situation since it leaves you vulnerable to human scavengers and the undead (particularly in an urban environment) it would beat the hell out of walking and would allow you to carry far more gear a much longer distance faster then you would on foot.

Some of the previous points will lead into the second vital criteria that must be looked at and that is the length of the expected outbreak and how far you are actually along in it. For the early stages of an outbreak, slow or fast, a 4WD is ideal since there should be still some fuel left and you are hopefully ahead of the masses evacuating the towns and cities leading to less congestion on the roads. If it is in the later stages then a bike will probably be you only option given the lack of fuel and the state of the roads. Forget about abandoning your vehicle in the hopes of picking up a new one down the road or finding a fresh source of fuel, cars will only have been abandoned for a very good reason, because there is no fuel nearby or there is an impassible obstacle in the way. Without a backup bike you are now walking, the worst of all possible situations to find yourself in.

It is also important to note that if the outbreak lasts more than 12-18 months it really doesn't matter what the initial conditions were like or the remaining fuel supply, you are going to be pedaling everywhere by this stage. This is because the fuel in the tanks/petrol stations/depots will have gone bad (yes, petrol and diesel do have a use by date) so make sure to factor this into your plans.

To summarise:
    Slow infection/early stages: get into your 4*4 and away from the major cities before the masses

Slow decline/middle to late stages: Only viable option is a bicycle due to lack of fuel and road conditions.

Fast infection early stage/middle stages: 4*4 once again

Anything over 12-18 months: Unlikely any motorised transport will work after regardless of volume of remaining stocks (unless you are able to make fresh bio diesel)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If the outbreak is rapid and catches the majority of the population unawares then expect here to be large caches of fuel and food ripe for the pickings. Assuming you have a safe unobstructed route out of the city/town then I would take a large 4WD vehicle (and as per Manic Morans suggestion strap a bicycle to the back). It would be important to ensure that this vehicle had some sort of winch on it to help clear the inevitable wrecks and obstacles that you will encounter. It is important to note that in such a situation the undead will not be your only concern, desperate panicking people will more than likely try and relieve you of your transport which would be another plus for a large vehicle over a bike in this regard.

Ok a couple of points there; The Winch is a very good idea.But you do need to know how to use them properly and have time to set them up to do this properly.They are also very dangerous if you dont know,or over load them.A snapping steel cable under strain is as leathl as anything.It can physically whipsaw a person in two,or make complete ****e of your vechicle as well.
    As to keeping your vechicle and supplies and what not.The best advice is avoid the panicking mobs and main arteries out of your city.IF you have to get out of Dodge in a hurry.The old adage is have a plan of threes.

That means three plans to leave your location in the city to your
    destination or refuge.The plans must be able to stand on their own without support from each other.IOW say the roads are blocked out of Dublin,how else could you get out?Could you walk along the railway tracks North or South?Could you get a small RIB and if need be cruise down the old canal ways out of Dublin?Or could you use your 4WD to literally if need be bash thru a length of back gardens to get to a clear stretch of motorway or use back lanes to do so? You might want to considering staying put and hunker down until the inital chaos subsides abit.

Also,you want to be able to easily "up armour" your 4wd with pre made mesh or steel panels.That could preclude some modern designs.Its one reason military 4wds still have very boxy designs,like the Landrover,Humvee,Gwagon.It is easy to hang armour on them if need be.

[
    TBH using a bike for lugging more supplies is only an advanced form of "bakpack survivalism" IOW the folk who belive they will carry everything they need on their backs to survive whatever calamaity.Those who preach this,I think have never actually done this in real life.I tried this once with my Bergen and it weighed over 90lbs with only a quater of what I needed.:eek: I'm relatively fit,but with 90 lbs on my back I wasnt able to totter much more than a few hundred yards.
    Now chuck alot more onto your bike and chinzty little trailer..Like maybe 200lbs.[The Vietcong could put over 300lbs worth of gear and supplies on a old Pugeot bike and push it along jungle trails.] But what happens if you are jumped ?Can you bike out quicker with all that gear?
    Your best bet would be to pre cache gear along your route to your safe haven wherever that is.
    Another thing is ..You should try a load up the Bug out Vechicle [BOV] drill one day.Even with everything vital and prepacked and say 2hours to load up you will hardly have room to fit in you and the significant other.
    One survivalist did it in the US for a years suply for a family of three.He needed a fourty foot truck!!!:eek:..Not a very discrete survival BOV..
    So maybe you would want to leave earlier,or later when it has died down abit??

It is also important to note that if the outbreak lasts more than 12-18 months it really doesn't matter what the initial conditions were like or the remaining fuel supply, you are going to be pedaling everywhere by this stage. This is because the fuel in the tanks/petrol stations/depots will have gone bad (yes, petrol and diesel do have a use by date) so make sure to factor this into your plans.

Very true,but if you are a smart bear,will you have pre cached fuel and put fuel stabiliser in it as well??;) STA Bil fuel preserative will keep fuel useable for 3to 5 years. However,you wont be cruising around the place,or going for a drive post Z day..At that stage either things have gone totally tits up,and then maybe a horse or bike might be in order.Or we will be hombrewing fuel or diesel.Or using wood burner motors.

To summarise:
    Slow infection/early stages: get into your 4*4 and away from the major cities before the masses
    Leave VERY early.IF you can and there isnt a lockdown on the contaminated areas.Then figure out maybe a second plan of three.

Slow decline/middle to late stages: Only viable option is a bicycle due to lack of fuel and road conditions.

Possibly better then to 4x4 out as it might be all over too?
    Fast infection early stage/middle stages: 4*4 once again
    Anything over 12-18 months: Unlikely any motorised transport will work after regardless of volume of remaining stocks (unless you are able to make fresh bio diesel)

Very possible,but also bio diesel or bio ethanol or wood burner can be considerd.But again who is going to be road warrioring around the place?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

A Toyota Hilux is my choice :D almost indestructible.

A Toyota Hilux is my choice :D almost indestructible.
    It's really the only rational choice in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If its good enough for the Road Warrior its good enough for me, I'd happily
    kill some zombie scum in a V8 Interceptor.

But in reality id have to go with a Mowag

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

**** a default vehicle. Endlessly looking for fuel, noisey etc.

I'll stay on foot and solo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Transit van with bull-bars on the front. Easily modifiable to hold a plough on the front and you could sleep in the back, easy to store food and could carry a bicycle in the back in case of running out of fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Full.Duck

Thats like a Zoolander truck, it needs to be at least 3 times bigger then that.

Why you acting so messed up towards him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

something practical like a van so you can hide in it. Preferably 4wd.

once you got out of a populated area and ran out of fuel then a bike would be handy to get you to your eventual destination.

sheesh wrote: »
    something practical like a van so you can hide in it. Preferably 4wd.

once you got out of a populated area and ran out of fuel then a bike would be handy to get you to your eventual destination.
    Next time your driving through the countryside take note of all the diesel tanks you'll see on farms. As long as your driving a diesel your never more than 5 miles from some ones private stash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

One of these please

Knight XV

Knight-XV1-625x468.jpg
    Knight-XV2-625x468.jpg
    Knight-XV.jpg

Covered in masses of high-strength steel, aluminium, ceramic and opaque composites the car is heavily armoured in every aspect, features bullet-proof ballistic glass windows and high-resistance door hinges, just in case anyone tries to infiltrate the cabin. There’s even a special firewall compartment in between the engine bay and the cabin for extra protection.

• Advertisement

That's a killing machine!

Weight: 13,000 lbs
    Diesel Engine: Cummins ISB 6.7 L.
    FLIR night vision cameras mounted front and rear, on individual screens
    Roof mounted rear view camera
    ASC Ballistic run flat system on all tires

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

It wouldn't fit on most motorways in Ireland, never mind the backroads. :P

Make your own roads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Exactly... that thing will knock down walls, telegraph poles etc... or you could just take it off road smashing down fences and gates and avoid the Z's altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I think this is an awsome vehicle.

busk.jpg

I dont thnk you need armour plating against zombies (they are falling apart!). If I cant claw my way through something, then they wont be able to either.

Advantages: Lots of them avail raound the country, high windows, secure sides. Sized for irish roads. Can be converted to be mobile safe house / command centre / hospital / etc. Lots of room in luggage area for equipment etc. And it runs on diesel (avail at any local farm)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

USA-E-Siegfried-p549.jpg

take that horrible zombies!!!

wow with a dry cool wit like that i could be an action here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

aaronh007 wrote: »
    One of these please

Covered in masses of high-strength steel, aluminium, ceramic and opaque composites the car is heavily armoured in every aspect, features bullet-proof ballistic glass windows and high-resistance door hinges, just in case anyone tries to infiltrate the cabin. There’s even a special firewall compartment in between the engine bay and the cabin for extra protection.

Hmmm,didnt know Z's knew how to make IEDs or use RPG launchers!:D
    Parts will be fun over here too.You need speed and anti personel protection rather than armour protection.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hmmm,didnt know Z's knew how to make IEDs or use RPG launchers!:D
    Parts will be fun over here too.You need speed and anti personel protection rather than armour protection.

What about the raiders?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ Pearl Beautiful Roof

All the earlier talk of a simple bike got me thinking.... what about one of these:

amazing_odd_interesting_funny_The-Beer-Bike!_200907232043533267.jpg

You could have great craic while getting away on the Beer Bike!

• Advertisement

All the earlier talk of a simple bike got me thinking.... what about one of these:

amazing_odd_interesting_funny_The-Beer-Bike!_200907232043533267.jpg

You could have great craic while getting away on the Beer Bike!

How does that work Stevie? Looks awesome :D

Advertisement