Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficult to get a fully insulated timber dog shed here

• 04-04-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Now ok you may say buy a shed and insulate it so I priced it up for a 6 by 6 shiplap shed (would prefer a 4 by 4 but won't fit dogs bed in comfortably) with damp proof lining on walls and roof (not on floor) and no insulation, add the price of having someone put it together and it comes to E 500 that's not including damp proof for the floor, insulation for the floor, walls and ceiling and also does not include cladding the whole thing with marine ply..regular ply just warps. I want to do a proper job of it not just insulate a bit.

So I'd say all in all it would be 700 at least.
    We are (attempting) to sell hse so we need something moveable or collie has issues with being indoors and prefers to be out with space around here we've tried the whole utility thing a few times but she's just not happy with that set up.

But have looked at Tolvi cabins and they look ok, bit small but also are only semi insulated.

I just can't find any places that sell reasonably priced shiplap sheds that are 100% insulated that don't cost the earth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

we made our own from scratch as it was just too hard to get what we wanted. the roof lifts off and the walls can be screwed apart so it can come with us if we move.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

Why do you want a whole shed for the dog? Why not build a dog house and Insulate it? When I had a Border Collie he wouldnt stay indoors for more than a half hour before he would start going mad at the door until I left him out. I wanted an indoors dog but the Border Collie hates to be indoors.

When I had him I built a kennell that was 50% longer than himself and the door was 6" taller than himself. I also put the door on the side of the kennel instead of the front of the kennel so that the wind and rain wouldnt be blowing directly at him and for better weather protection. I put a flappy door that wouldnt blow in the wind , but was easy for him to push so he could get in and out. I also bought insulation that looked like tinfoil on both sides but had extra insulation in the middle and lined the floor , walls and roof of the kennel so he would be warm in the winter and cool in the summer. I also put a little porch over the door for extra weather protection. Also the roof was lined with two layers of felt. I also bought a large dog cushion with removable cover in Dunnes for 15 euro. The cushion was fairly thick and covered the entire floor of the kennel so he was warm and comfortable.

The whole lot cost me less than 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

We bought a house which came with one of those generic garden sheds.

I have next to nothing to store in it, so I kicked out three or four slats in the wall beside the door to make a 'dog flap' of sorts. A mate of mine gave me a kennel that his lads had no interest in and I have that in a corner.

During the bad winter I lined the kennel with corrugated cardboard and it has a duvet and fleeces stuffed in it. I stuck two battery powered motion sensor lights in the roof of the shed and to my mind have created a house within a house. The shed takes the brunt of the wind and rain and the dog can at least stretch out etc even if its horrible outside.

The only thing I did to the shed was Ronseal the outside and the floor. To me its quite cool in the summer and there is no wind chill even in the bad weather we had in December. My dog doesn't have as thick a coat as a your Collie and every time I come home to her she passes my 'really warm belly' test.

I have no idea how much a medium shed and kennel go for so I'm concious I basically told you I got both for free which wasn't my intention - honest.

Advertisement